Fair Play ctf/ducati-style

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Fair Play ctf/ducati-style

Post by [dmp] »

People have different ideas when to CTF and when not to CTF. I like to know what other people think of "my set of rules" for fair play. Perhaps you guys can prove if I should change my mind or not :-)
  • 4vs4: is ok to ctf. But people should be able to regroup to get better teams, if it would even up.
  • 3vs4: is ok to ctf, unless they complain. if they do, people should try to even up the teams. I have had some of the most fun battles.
  • 2vs4: Is not okey, unless they explicit requests ctf'ing.
  • 2vs3: Is okey unless people complain
  • 2vs2: is okay to ctf.
  • 1vs?: dont ctf. (dosnt make sense anyway)
  • rejoining to get to base is not okay.
  • suicide to respawn is okay.
When "no ctf" rules is in effect, i think that people should drop the flag (i seen alot, that eg. in 2vs4 people brings the flag to the door, dropping it. When the teams are even they capture it, driving the last inch to get it in.)

Ofcause if teams are uneven for 10 sec they shoundnt stop, but if teams continue to be uneven, i think it would be polite to drop/change team.

"Even teams" in my world is when both teams have a chance to CTF.

kind regards,
dennis
I don't need huge pictures here.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

In general I agree with what you wrote. When it's 2vs3, however, capturing is almost always unfair - unless the 2 players are very good. When teams have the same number of players, but skill levels are extremely different, it gets frustrating for the weaker team fast. I'd suggest to try to even out the teams by switching, but that is often difficult to achieve. I would at least expect the stronger team to do without ambushing the other team's base after a capture to give them some time to recover.

It is often very difficult to get even teams. But the weaker team should at least be able to show some real resistance. If this is not the case, teams should try to switch players. I sometimes play more lazy then, not respawning after a death etc. to even things out a bit. I am guilty of pressing on a weaker team, though, especially after I have been playing a losing battle for a long time, so it's kind of a revenge thing (which often hits the wrong players because the old culprits have left already).

Another point is that the number of players in each team is something different than the number of active players (pausing, idling). I try to check whether all players are active (using /idlestats whch I have mapped to a function key). But of course, you cannot check every 10s in the heat of battle.

Another thing which can get frustrating is when players in your own team do not really play for the team. This can have different reasons of course, they might be new to CTF, they might not know where to drive best (typical case is when a player goes for the enemy flag even if the own flag is about to get captured) or they might be playing for individual score. Teams should probably try to discuss their tactics a little to improve teamplay.

Wrapping things up: CTF is most fun when people play for their team and everyone uses some common sense to judge whether the game is fair or not. Regulars should try to be an example for the others because newbies often will just not know better.
lupinator
Private
Private

Post by lupinator »

yo!
taking a look at the match results you can see that qual numbers of players does not equal equal games. although that's the nature of games like bz i don't feel comfortable capturing when the other team is just a bunch of newbies who are figuring out how to steer. like chestal, in too unfair situations, i take a step back and and drink a cup of tea.
ok, i lied about the tea, but i really try to avoid unfair games (sometimes...).

another question is whether outnumberd teams should attack while the stronger team doesn't. i think that would be ok
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

I believe that CTF ducati style is best played with even teams (2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4) or 3vs4, evenly matched players and no swearing (just good clean fun). :D

widowmaker

sucide

Post by Guest »

i agree with everything but sucide....i dont believe its fair to commit sucide to get closer to a base.......but, who is to say different......unless we create a governing body to set down rules of conduct......
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

I happened to be playing with Electic Elf and some others once and it was 3 vs 2, what Elf suggested was that the team with 3 were not allowed to touch their own flag, ever, but they could continue to capture ours..

It actually worked out quite well, not a perfect solution but kept the game from being dull with no ctf.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

There seems to be some controversy about the suicide issue. It never really occured to me to use that tactic until I saw the opponent team use it in a match (hello HoW :D ). In my opinion it's ok to use it, it's a bit strange, but it cannot be ruled out anyway as it's hard to distinguish an accidental suicide from a deliberate one. It will only give you an advantage in some situations and you even cannot be sure about it because the respawn is semi-random at least and it will take you about 4 seconds to become alive again.

yepper

Post by Guest »

yep...have to agree......unless we open up the topic of predefined spawn locations........etc........