Jump Shot

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
chandler583
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jump Shot

Post by chandler583 »

What is the best way to shoot a person that is on top of a building and you want to jump up and shoot them without getting killed.
Reality is nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there. :)
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

Depends on the flags are available to you, the server settings, and your position, his/her position... A more detailed "scenario" please... :) Generally, you would want to attack them from behind, so that they can't turn in time to meet you...
Last edited by wegstar on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Go here: http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/guides-veteranstuff.html

and look at the strafe jump. It's pretty hard, I admit. Only works 50% of the time for me.
chandler583
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chandler583 »

ok...if neither of you had flags and Hepcat's settings, and you couldn't get behind them.
Reality is nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there. :)
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

RPG is right then. The strafe jump is the best way. The thing is that they are in something of a position of power if you do that. Sometimes the best option is just to back off and do something else (and that sometimes tempts them into coming off the building to try to shoot you, but you're watching your radar, right?).

Another possibility is to do something like a strafe jump, but instead of trying to jump/spin/shoot them and then drop down again, try to jump so that you land behind them _on_ the building, and facing towards them. With luck they won't have turned 180degrees quickly enough. The hard part is doing it at a sufficiently sideways angle that you're difficult to shoot as you jump because you'll briefly be almost right in front of them. You'll have to kill them with your first shot or you're dead.

The final possibility is to back off, still facing them, and then jump and shoot. Lather, rinse, repeat until one of you dies :). Far enough away it's more difficult for them to time it to hit you, due to the time for the bullet to travel. Keep repeating this, taking care to time your shots well, and sometimes wait a fraction of a second before you re-jump if it would help make it more likely your shots will hit them on their way down.

All the above require considerable practice!
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

The strafe shot doesn't seem to work on advanced players so against them, the best thing to do is just try a bit of trickery by faking the strafe jump. most likely they will lead your tank and so you can just normally jump and shoot. I have done this one some occasions and it seems to give good results.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

The bad thing about everyone knowing about these special moves is that players are developing ways to avoid them, I know I've killed many people who try to strafe jump me.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

oh I am the masta at strafe jumping if it's just me on the ground at gu.de and another guy on the box in front of the bases hehe. I fake them out so many times then i just practically jump on the box and shoot there so dizzy (slightly exagerated ;) )
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Scorch play more on Secretplace so I can prove you wrong!
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

secretplace *pfough*! secret placen is way too big, to many shots, too many people, to powerful flags... :P
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

It's a madhouse and you get better because you have to learn how to survive.
IF I KILL U U R UGLY
Private First Class
Private First Class

my tactic would be...

Post by IF I KILL U U R UGLY »

no flag: strafe jump from a distance [ best done before they notice you're coming after them] if they dodge repeat till you kill them or make them jump. if they jump close in and attack while they are still coming down. timing is everything, keep them off balance

stealth- descretion is your best friend. so going along with that if you pick up a stealth flag come around behind them jump up, close in and get them in one clean shot. if your noticed its best you clear out to lower ground and come back up later and try again.

laser- jump up onto a platform far away and snipe em.

shockwave - get in close, open fire

GM- strafe jump from a distance, lock and fire

cloak- strafe jump, they can't see you unless its against a skilled player who's good at reading radar.

quickturn- unadvisable, its basicly like being normal sept if u strafe jump you'll end up going a bit out of control if you're not so comfortable with it. plus with this your shots will be more spread while you're spinnin in the air

high speed- unadvisable, u get more hang time if you try a frontal approach, but when u try to strafe jump you'll have hard time gettin into the position you want to be in to target the enemy. in the case the enemy is just on a normal plat form you can always try and trick them by circling around near the base of the platform then as you pass them jump and fire from 180. there a lot of variations of doing the strafe jump so yeah...

narrow- is probably a good way sept if they just get you lined up your toast so its best to try and strafe jump so you're always facing them so they only have this thin line to shoot at

little- same thing, your a small target, just keep moving

wings: a good choice, fake a strafe jump and if they fire b4 u get to the point b4 u can fire just jump and evade, make em jump and then you're in control.
Take that, beyotch.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

narrow- is probably a good way sept if they just get you lined up your toast so its best to try and strafe jump so you're always facing them so they only have this thin line to shoot at
Personally I think if you use narrow it's better to stand a little further off and just jump up. It's easier to hit narrow the closer you are (I guess shots have width), so jumping right in front of them loses a lot of the advantage.
IF I KILL U U R UGLY
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by IF I KILL U U R UGLY »

the enemy wrote:
Personally I think if you use narrow it's better to stand a little further off and just jump up. It's easier to hit narrow the closer you are (I guess shots have width), so jumping right in front of them loses a lot of the advantage.
yeah thats cool 2 i guess... but really if they get on their binoculars they can get u on the second jump if u missed the first, and i think bullets have the same width no matter how far or close you are. being close is a disadvantage but your within firing view for at most 2 seconds.
Take that, beyotch.
Aracinth
Private
Private

A Note on Strafe Jumping

Post by Aracinth »

RPG - The bad thing about everyone knowing about these special moves is that players are developing ways to avoid them, I know I've killed many people who try to strafe jump me.
I must agree with RPG.... for the better players this DOES NOT work. Strafe jumping is difficult anyway to pull off and if you are against a better player (read.. "admin, regular, me.. etc.") its in your best interest to either swamp them with a lot of teammates or go on your way and let them get bored up there. I know that on Hepcat Overlord it is easily possible to defend the team pads against as many as 4-5 opponents at once.. it gets crazy.. but people do it. I can't think of any other good examples for defending (cuz I play Overlord the most...) but I'm sure there are lots of good examples of why NOT to strafe jump (or... jump at all)

Anyway.. thats it.....
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Strafe jump?

That move basicly doesn't work on GamesUnited.

All you do is Strafe jump, but land on the thing there on.

If you do it right they will jump. (i love toast)

Either that or richo off of something into them. (it get's alot of pro's)

another trick I know is freezing.

If you just sit there for about ten seconds you'll scare them and the'll miss.
(i love toast)
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Mine is a secret. it works about 75% of the time.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

I'm starting to get good at strafe and find that it's a good way to clear a base or take out a guard on a tower on hepcat.
'Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope'

-Aristotle-
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

Do the reverse strafe jump, where u jump backwards instead of forwards, it requires tons of skill and few use it, but those few kick ass in gu and other servers. I usually dont use it cause im not smart enough. whenever i remember i know the move i use it tho.
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's

Post by Guest »

Eh?
Even I can do that with some success...
You just reverse, turn, jump, shoot. :|
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

well your a pretty good player...
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's

Post by Guest »

Not compared to many others. Next to people like The Red Baron, Red Baron 2, etc, I am a n00b. :|
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

arent we all? (dont forget to mention Carnage)
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

one other ways is if u have a flag (not so good) go cloz of the place they are then drop the flag. they will think u jump then they will shoot. after they shoot u have to be fast, jump and shoot them(work well in servers witout lot of shots) :wink:
tvon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tvon »

chandler583 wrote:ok...if neither of you had flags and Hepcat's settings, and you couldn't get behind them.
It's generally a bad idea. Choose your battles.