[dmp]'s ladder ranking

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

[dmp]'s ladder ranking

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

ok i'm kinda bored, i want to start a thread :twisted:

i was looking over the ladder page, i think the ctf rankings are getting interesting in reflecting flag scores. they seem like a more accuarate reflection of how many times people score the flag right?

the kill ratio for ffa servers, not so accurate. i glanced over the top ratios, i see alot of top ratios generated from people playing 30 mins. grab a gm, kill for 30 min, nice ratio right?
and what about total score for the sessions, if you see 25 kills with 0 deaths in 30 mins (or less), then that reflects why the ratio was so high. whats the point, to get your name on top? total kills? kill ratios? not sure what to make of it.

sure, using another alias to explore a map is something we do, because you will die alot if you don't know the tricks right away.

i would rather know the ratios of people who are indeed regulars with their names. that is, a cumulative ratio using your regular alias.

outside of registering your call name for the ladder stats, is this possible?

just thinking about these stats...good work [dmp], this is interesting data.

;)

sm
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I could be wrong, but I think that [dmp] has some sort of formula for taking the kill/death ratio data. I think the player under that callsign has to spend a certain amount of time on a Ladder server before he is even judged. As for it being easy to get a good kill/death ratio.... I don't think so. If you watch me on Turkey (when I'm not aliased) I usually run 7/1- 15/1 and I am still pretty low on the ladder. I'm not sure how that works.

For those that don't already know- "a really dumb guy" (the person with 2150.87%) is me. I play aliased sometimes because people have a great desire to hunt me when I play as Spaceman Spiff (don't ask me why). I have even considered changing my callsign and starting over as someone else. So, maybe there should be a way to group the kill/death ratios of each person under their regular callsign as well as their aliases? I suppose that would have to be done by IP.
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by baddmove »

Hey guys!! where is this ladder page at? just wondering.. :lol-old:
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

hmm, maybe I should have an alias....im ALWAYS ski ...lol

Ill have to think of one... :?
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

baddmove, the website URL is http://bzflag.baat.dk/new/
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

baddmove, the website URL is http://bzflag.baat.dk/new/
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

alias or no alias

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

spiff, consider it challenge to play out there with your call sign. its hard sometimes, but makes it a challenge when you know your being hunted. sooner or later, it chills out.

ski, now why would you want to change your alias? there is nothing better to use than "ski"....except for "snowboard"
hehehehehe ;)

badmove go to:
http://bzflag.baat.dk/new/

peace
sm
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Sorry about the double post. I didn't mean to do that.

widowmaker
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by baddmove »

:bonk: Gee..i feel kinda badd...i did'nt make any of those ladders..i play mostly at secretplace.org and lately at turkeymoon group...guess i had better start killing more badd guys eh? :D
And i always play as BADDMOVE..so keep yer callsign spiff!!!!!
be proud of who you are!!!
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

sm: regarding [dmp]'s ladder page; The FFA portion of his ladder, I believe, collects data every 5 minutes from certain servers which are listed. Once you've played using the same callsign for 20 collections (100 minutes, not straight time, but cumulative time), you'll appear on the ladder. Additional play time is averaged with all data collected against the same callsign. But, there is an expiration period of 2 months. Data, that is 2 months old, is dropped and not included in the calculation any longer.
Correct me if I'm wrong [dmp].

Happy Easter amigos.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Re: [dmp]'s ladder ranking

Post by [dmp] »

sn0w_m0nkey wrote:i was looking over the ladder page, i think the ctf rankings are getting interesting in reflecting flag scores. they seem like a more accuarate reflection of how many times people score the flag right?
Yes, for CTF rating only captures changes your score. Kills/deaths isnt considered at all. All players gains/loses points when a capture happens.
i would rather know the ratios of people who are indeed regulars with their names. that is, a cumulative ratio using your regular alias.
Regulars can be defined as a person who'd played at least xxx mins, i guess. So when i fix the duration-calculation I might be able to determind this automatically. But if you guys can give me a list of regulars, i can easily create a "group" called regulars (like the team-dropdown box), this would remove some of the noise from newbies and cheaters.
outside of registering your call name for the ladder stats, is this possible? just thinking about these stats...good work [dmp], this is interesting data.
Yes it is. I've been wondering on how to improve the ladder a few weeks ago, I found that the next major step would be to help writing / or to write a bzflag-server with ladder-functionality. This would avoid having my server polling other servers and the centralized approach. But this will be sometime in the future, when I got the time. (I want to help improving the current league-site too.. )

But thanks for the input - as you might have read the server is going down in a few days, so i wont change anything soon. The datacollection will still be working, so no data is lost - you just can't see it :)
I don't need huge pictures here.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Correct bamf.

Way too simple it seems :roll:
I don't need huge pictures here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

True m0nkey. I really do like the challenge sometimes.... but at other times it can get annoying. BZ is fun for a challenge, but I also like to come on and just chill out and enjoy a good frag at times... and that's when hunting spoils the fun. It's tough to have fun when there are 5-10 players killing you constantly.
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by baddmove »

well spiff..you look like a target store..ya know..big bullseye on yer back..just run like a mo fo...LMAO!!..just kidding!!!
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

I agree with Spaceman Spiff, when people hunt you it is really annoying. BZ is best played when everyone goes after the closest possible enemy tank, that is what the game is about. Some people lose that focus and search out a certain tank and that takes the fun out of playing :( .
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hahaha baddmove. :) Someone actually told me that I had a target painted on the back of my tank... but I found out it was a sign that said "Kick me, I'm stupid". LoL. Jk. ;)

widowmaker-

Hunting is fun to a certain extent (Razz, Trojan, Dervish DuKot, myself, etc. do it sometimes). I just get angry when someone has ten points and eight of them are from following you around and shooting you, or hunting you down on spawn when you don't even have a flag yet. I don't think that that is even fair. I am a decent player.. not fantastic, but I'm pretty good... but even I don't have a chance if someone hunts me down on spawn with GM, L, ST, etc. That isn't fair... it's rude.
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Spiff I totally agree with that.

widowmaker

PS You are right hunting is fun...when it is among friends :wink:
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

tired of getting hunted?

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

spiff,

two reasons for playing ctf on ducati:

1) its hard to hunt people there because everyone is blowing each other up over the red or green flag.

2) no need to worry about your kill ratio, as you need to worry about your flag being taken away to the other base.

you should come play there more often, i know you have the bandwidth now, and bring your normal alias with you.

;)
hehe
sm

hunting

Post by Guest »

personally, i only hunt people with certain flags.............so if spiff picks up GM 10 times, i am going to hunt you 10 times........double ditto with OO........actually i believe i PO'd razz a little with my OO zealousness..........

i have noticed that i have been picking on certain players lately......although unintentionally.........many have been as a result of hunting the OOs and having to defend myself against the newbie tank turning the corner...........after the first 5 kills(which for me......i usually dont kill the same player that many times, even if i try)....i withdraw because it is obviously a newbie who is having a little trouble........

as for hunting spiff.......hmmm...........it has potential.........but i have to finish hunting Trojan/Death/snow_monkey/cannon fodder before i get to start hunting spiff..............(i would hunt razz, but its just not fair........i die too often........hahahahha)

as for the ladder......it would be nice to see a field showing how you faired against the other players.........most kill of, most deaths by,
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

And what makes you think that you wouldn't die too often when hunting me? ;) Mwahahahahaha!!!! I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) I welcome the challenge though... as long as you know when to stop and kill other people besides me. :):)

spiff hunting

Post by Guest »

spiff....come on.......really.........i wouldnt want you to regret getting that fancy new modem thingy................and the few times you do obtain one the huntable flags(ie GM/OO)....you die..........so........where is the challenge.......you have to live long enough to actually hunt someone........thats why OOs on turkey make such good prey........they seem to live forever.......

(uuuuhhhh, ok, now that i am done with the humour........dont hunt me.....my skills are slipping lately.........i may only be able to take HOW team members out............how low have i sunk..... :wink:
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Razzberry »

In reality, I don't hunt players, I hunt flag users. GM users shouldn't get more than 20 kills in ANY game where there is an ST flag, and really, 10 is a better number if ppl know what they're doing. Many times, the GM parks up high and is tolerated by a large number of folks, so that's when it seems like the hunt is on because I look for a ST flag and go after them.

Yes, I've said that I'm going to hunt someone, but it is usually just to get in their head a little and rattle them. I don't think it works though ;).

razz no hunt

Post by Guest »

yep, your not a hunter razz......berries grow on stationary bushes...
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I admit, I sometimes hunt tanks with names instead of tanks with flags. However, I do so for reasons quite different from those who hunt the highest scoring, most reputable, or out of dislike or hatred.

As a known name in BZFlag, I get hunted for these reasons quite often. Some players get jealous, they don't like me, or they want to take me on because of my reputation.

I usually catch on to this activity rather quick and I've learned not to say a word about it anymore in the game. I just pay more attention to their location as a tank and if they're reachable, I'll start feeding them their own medicine and hunt them. If they're ST, I'll try to get ST or OO so they have a difficult time hunting me.

When I'm aware of this, I have yet to meet a tank I couldn't successfully hunt (score a better ratio with) and lay some smackdown. :twisted: I usually get bored of it after a while, especially once I feel I've sent a message, and rejoin the FFA frenzy. That message is: didn't feel to great to be hunted, did it? ...so don't do it to others. ;)

Players excluded from this are friends, buds, who people I've known for some time, like; Spiff, Razzberry, maddog, Fiberchunks, Defman, Dutchrai, "his blind ambition", kernel panic, bzgirl, and the list goes on. For these players, I never worry about hunting or being hunted because I know their integrity and if we start hunting each other, it's for fun and never about trying to "prove" something.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

DMP,

The scripts freaked out and took up 100% of our outgoing bandwith and flooded the routers with requests. I had to shut them down.
I will set up another machine on another connection for you to use as soon as I can.
ImageJeffM