Private

MadCity

Post by pork pie johnson »

Why hasn't madcity been popular lately?
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

It's probably the regular cycle of servers. People look in the server list and say "Oh look! Something new! I'll try it out." A normal server (read: Elem3nt's Serv3r, shuriken's sniper map, tweaked gm's, meteorite, etc.) will probably have it's 15 minutes of fame and then falter if it doesn't have some serious gameplay value, since hepcat, secretplace, and all the other popular servers are stiff competition. Madcity was probably bought some extra time because it was a rejuvenation of a popular 1.0 server. But since then, I think it has been replaced by secretplace as the FFA of choice that is pretty much immortal for the time being.

So it probably lost it's "new" factor, and then faded. Which is kind of sad, because there have been plenty of great servers that did the same. I think there just aren't enough people to have a competitive game at all times on more than about 10 servers.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Elem3nt wrote:It's probably the regular cycle of servers. People look in the server list and say "Oh look! Something new! I'll try it out." A normal server (read: Elem3nt's Serv3r, shuriken's sniper map, tweaked gm's, meteorite, etc.) will probably have it's 15 minutes of fame and then falter if it doesn't have some serious gameplay value, since hepcat, secretplace, and all the other popular servers are stiff competition. Madcity was probably bought some extra time because it was a rejuvenation of a popular 1.0 server. But since then, I think it has been replaced by secretplace as the FFA of choice that is pretty much immortal for the time being.

So it probably lost it's "new" factor, and then faded. Which is kind of sad, because there have been plenty of great servers that did the same. I think there just aren't enough people to have a competitive game at all times on more than about 10 servers.
I agree. Sadly my server can be extremely popular then... kabam - no one. We need more players! [walks off to tell people about bz] But hey, it's all about having fun. Even if it means that one server will be great and the next moment it isn't. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yep

Post by Gerbil »

Basically,most people pop up the list and if they don't have a real favorite go where the other people are--so people end up at the same server.

A handful have "server's of preference" but often you have to play another one because no one else is around.
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
Grumbleduck
Private First Class
Private First Class

Madcity was fun...

Post by Grumbleduck »

Madcity was a lot of fun, but I liked Strawberrys track even more :-D even if he did build it a bit to high for my likeing :D

Madcity was very good before all the changes, it did not transfer well to 2.x in my opinion.

Right now secretplace and two forts are the best, but my believe is that two forts should gain a lot by removing the wings flag since it makes flagpicking much to easy.
/Grumbleduck
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

I used to play at Mad city waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back at the dawn of time. But now secretplace has stolen my heart. :roll:
Ninja Yoda
Private
Private

Mad City

Post by Ninja Yoda »

I'm having a LAN Party today! :D We are planning on playing BZFlag. I think i'll check out madcity if it's up, just for old time's sake.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

madcity rules. there is something about that map which makes me feel good, like at home. weird no? weird yes. i have seen a new madcity map which didn't produce the same effect btw. looks too empty. maybe they'll still work on it.