Private First Class

How do you become a BZCop?

Post by Merry »

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Presently the BZCop system is down for revamp, and awiting the new stats.bzflag.org.

When the program is back in place there will be meesages posted in the "Servers: Policing" forum, about posible new applications.

Currently there are no servers running with the cop system, and it's up to each server admin to choose how to admin his server.
ImageJeffM
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

So...

Post by Merry »

So...what does that mean? :? Bye! ~Merry :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That means that the BZ Cops don't exist anymore. Noodleman is organizing a new program for them.. IF the idea is still valid. Otherwise admins just admin on the server that they have the password for.. not two or three like BZ Cop.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yes, there are no cops now. when there will be cops there will be an anouncment in the servers section.
ImageJeffM
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thx..

Post by Merry »

Thx for ur help Spiff and Patlabor! So, when they r back it will be in news and announcments, right? Whelp, see you later! Thx again for ur help. Bye! ~Merry 8)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

norbably not in news and anouncement, but in the servers forums, since its' a server only thing.
ImageJeffM

Post by Guest »

Merry a cop !!!......... scary........ :scared:
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

no cops .. kind of like Baghdad, huh?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

If I understand correclty the new cop will have a system of checks and ballances. And just asking to be a cop will not get you in. There will be a "rookie" period.
ImageJeffM
kernel panic

cops on turkey.... not

Post by kernel panic »

Patlabor221 wrote:If I understand correclty the new cop will have a system of checks and ballances. And just asking to be a cop will not get you in. There will be a "rookie" period.
Periodically I get asked by Merry (and others) how they can become an admin on turkey. Sometimes that question is asked such that the person asking makes such a nuisance of themselves that they permanently (or semi-permanently) eliminate themselves from consideration.

So in an effort to prevent this from happening let me explain the simple, straight forward process for becoming an admin on turkey and along the way I will try to incorporate some of my thoughts about how turkey is administered. I will do this in a series of bulleted points.

- You need not ask. If I need an admin I will choose him or her myself. In short... I seek them out.

- I have had existing turkey admins mention someone they thought might be a likely candidate *WHEN* I mentioned I was looking for one. Once or twice it has worked out but not always.

- as an independent site turkey does not now, nor has it ever, fallen under the bzcop system so just because someone was a cop does not mean that they were automatically an admin on turkey. I have no desire to change that system so even after a new bzcop system is instituted this is quite unlikely to affect turkey in any way.

- when I decide to bring in a new admin it is (and has been) someone who has impressed me with the way they handled themselves on the battlefield and has in all ways been one who was willing to enhance the fun and fairness of gameplay as well as the sense of community rapidly growing within the core of the bzflag world.

- I also look for people who seem to have good judgement about how they deal with others and, to date, those chosen have conducted themselves in a just, fair, and honorable way in both word and deed.

- Included in the above is an unstated necessity. There are some clearly stated rules which all players on turkey must abide. Obviously, an inability or unwillingness to follow those rules would preclude someone from consideration.

- some people think that KP is some kind of a prude due to the ban on foul language which exists on turkey. That could not be farther from the truth. As a long time member of the US military there's not much which could be called "prudish" about me. I simply want to encourage children to join and enjoy the on-line world and will not tolerate that kind of environment for my kids or anybody elses kids. Note that *ALL* of my admins accept and adhere to that policy for the same reasons I do! We are united on this point and will remain so. The rule is simple... every couple of minutes there is a banner published during game play on turkey. That banner makes it clear that foul language is not tolerated. We kick for the first infraction. For the 2nd we institute a ban aqnd there is no formal appeals process so that ban could well remain in place for some time.

- we handle other forms of anti-social behavior in almost an identical fashion as we do foul language. Confirmed cheating nets the offender an immediate ban. Pausing in combat to avoid being killed gets you kicked and a repeat nets you a ban. My recommendation is that if you pause you do it in a far corner of the map so as to not interfere with the game play of others. I try to do it this way myself when possible but sometimes it proves impossible. When this occurs I usually accept the consequences without complaint (I have been kicked by my own admins a time or two when I was forced to pause in a bad place and then forced to remain paused for an extended period of time). If your pause gives you the appearance of being a pause cheater (eg. you are attempting to avoid being killed) and you get kicked do not come back and start abusing the admin... simply come back and explain yourself... that and good behavior will usually garner an apology from the admin... I have made the mistake of kicking someone over this (and been wrong) and have apologized for it once the circumstances were made clear.

- because there is no formal appeals process, appealing to me over an admin's kick or ban will likely net you a null sum. I do not over ride my admins decisions. That said there was an issue which arose with a well known player where the admin himself asked me to decide. In that instance I will examine the facts and make a decision which takes in to account two things... the health of the server... and the health of the bz community. This is only a game people... it's supposed to be an escape from the pressures of life... it's not supposed to add to them!

- sometimes people come on turkey who want to be my friends and they start hammering me with chatter and I don't respond. Then they take offense. Sometimes someone who is my friend hammers me with chatter and they get a one or two word response (because they are my friend). Then the person who has become offended talks bad about me. Frankly I do not care and you are wasting your breath. Why is it such a big issue and what gives anyone the right to force another into a conversation they do not want? Some days I just want to kill things... I let my tank speak for me on those days... Other days I talk a lot. Big woop-di-doo... don't worry about it... be happy! :-)

- turkey admins have their own mailing list which they use to communicate and turkey logs all bzflag activity on the server including the talk. So if you think you can do something while admins are not looking guess again. I can (but don't often bother) check the log to see what really happened!

- maybe I will post some more later.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Merry wrote
If you pay I can give you a raccomandation.

I have a couple brothers and a couple good guys ...check my team.
They can help you.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

wow that is a lot of text.

But yeah bein an admin is a lot more then just kickin and banin. Cop system will allways be an optional thing for server admins, cus it actualy gives out a lot of powers that the admins can't controll ( I realy should finsh that admin nickserver/permisions server BZFS patch ).

I think in it's hayday there were only 3 cop servers at one time.

but realy when ( if ) they get that system back up it will be in the server fourm. For now just play the game and have fun Merry.

Or you could allways start your own server :)
ImageJeffM
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Well, sorry!! :sob:

Post by Merry »

Well, sorry kp.:sob: I didn't know it was a nuisence. It's just that I hate swearing, because I'm not allowed to swear, and because Razz sometimes laughs at the swearing he also doesn't do things about it. That's why. Sorry again. ~Merry
P.S. and it's just that I thought I could be one. :idea-alt:
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Why?

Post by Merry »

Why Baggy? Why scary? :scared: Hmmm??? Hope we're still friends! That is on the internet!lol. Bye! ~Merry
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Plus...

Post by Merry »

Plus..Razz swears himself sometimes!!Bye! ~Merry
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Post by Guest »

just goating you on......sry, it was an easy target.....
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

lol..

Post by Merry »

lol thx hehehehe very funny...I guess I am an easy target.hehehehe :? :oops: Bye! ~Merry
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's sort of rude to accuse admins of breaking their own rules. You probabily have him confused with someone else.
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Not really...

Post by Merry »

Not really because it's either someone else is using his name and is pretty good or he's swore..and I know it. I remember, it wasn't anyone else. I bet it is a different Razzberry, because, he kicked A*** and this other Razzberry let A*** stay on. Now if it is him, I don't know. If it isn't I won't be suprised :scared:!!! :o If it isn't the real Razzberry I'm sorry for accusing. :sob: :rip:
:withstupid: :sniper: :thud: Bye! ~Merry
P.S. I just put these silly things on b/c I like putting these things on. Hehehehe. :mrgreen:
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

retret
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sry.

Post by Merry »

Sry..thaat I put that..I accidently put retret..