DarkWorld:Xythius' Playground

Previews and comments on future maps.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

DarkWorld:Xythius' Playground

Post by ClayOgre »

I know, I know, haven't finished the first one yet. I was sort of taking a break from it...

Anyway, this guy at work who is one of the players on my server had this idea for a map surrounded by teleports, randomly linked. He kept asking me if I would make one like it, so finally one day I did. Then one thing led to another, and today, I "darkerized" it.

Details: If you have a Narrow flag, you can actually sneak between the teleports (the arches and blue "accent pieces" are drivethrough). However this puts you onto a physics driver which jumps you up onto a single layer mesh, also with a physics driver, that moves you around the edge of the map (the texture matrix for this, which I still haven't gotten set up quite right, is pilfered from a LouMan map). On this "shelf" around the map are GM flags. You can get them, and it is a good spot to pot shots at people, but it is hard to aim and stay on the ledge due to the physics driver moving you in two directions at once.

Also, at the corners, there are four "invisible" on radar catwalks, leading into the center. Right now the only good way to get to them is via a WG flag.

The small squares near the inverted pyramid thingy's have vertical physics drivers on them so you can jump up on the pyramids.

Shot speed and range are jacked up so that when you shoot through the surrounding teleports, the shots come out somwhere else and travel across about half the map before expiring. No ricochet. The surrounding teleports make chasing somebody interesting, as well as evading.

In this map is an experiment with two "layered" textureMatrices, used to custom texturize the surrounding teleports. Works quite well, I think...though I might need to provide a bit more separation between the layers to increase the effect, right now they are sort of cheek by jowl...
Attachments
xythius.jpg
(48.83 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
xythius.bzw
(13.36 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

wow interesting
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

how do u randomly link teleporters, or do u just have to do it yourself?
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Here's a quote from bzflag.org/wiki/MapMaking
link
name example_link
# this will link all teleporters randomly to all other teleporters
from *
to *
end
Really makes sense actually. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Yup, I followed the little code fragment Meteorite posted. Supposedly it is possible to individually reference individual teleports called in a group statement...at least Trepan has hinted that it is doable. (and no. you can't use names...at least I don't think you can, since if you call the group multiple times, then you would have multiple tele's with the same name!I haven't spent much time tinkering trying to figure it out, but I have some ideas for which such a thing could be very useful.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

it is possible, try printing the linkage table.
http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman.cgi?bzw.5s