Hepcat Closed Permanently

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

One more thing! Cosmos, if you're still there, could you please post a server config so people won't have to guess about flag types, shot limits, and the such when trying to carry on the hepcat style? Thanks! and a big thanks for all you do as hepcat server owner.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Yes, that would help me a lot. I've done too much guessing for the flags and such...
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Phalanx wrote:grassroots was being hosted by tropican8, on his server, 0-topican-0.no-ip.org:4200, but i believe he is currently rotating maps between that, The great wall, by 1bad, and 1bads first map
lol, All wrong. I said I may rotate in the future. Grassroots has been on at my place 24/7 since my last post. Also my server can be reached by tropican-no-ip.org:4200 or 0-tropican-0.no-ip.org:4200, not 0-topican-0.

Do you guys think we should make a new sticky somewhere listing where all the hepcat map mirrors are?

Here are the ones I know about:

bzflag.dracos.org:5154 Dragon's Lair's Grassroots

65.175.134.126:5155 - Grassroots (some guy steve's?, does he have a callsign?)

bzflag.bounceme.net:5154 - Meteorite's Overlord

gnurdux.homelinux.net:5154 - Gnurdux's Overlord

65.175.134.126:5154 - Overlord (some guy steve's?, does he have a callsign?)

knjiga.ffos.hr:5154 - Team 6 Playground Pillbox

adrenaline.l-aim.de:5156 Semtex/Zoly's Pillbox (Don't get the ports mixed up, he also has rings on another)

hepcat.tybox.net:5155 Tybox Pillbox
Last edited by Tropican8 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I remember an old Hepcat map I used to love. It was around 1.8. Red vs. Green CTF, jumping, and superflags. I don't know exactly what it was called, but it was loads of fun. I'd like to see it up again on someone else's server since hepcat is...over. I also really like Pillbox. Overlord was okay.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

dartman wrote:I remember an old Hepcat map I used to love. It was around 1.8. Red vs. Green CTF, jumping, and superflags. I don't know exactly what it was called, but it was loads of fun. I'd like to see it up again on someone else's server since hepcat is...over. I also really like Pillbox. Overlord was okay.
I think I remember a map on hepcat waaaay back when. It had elevated bases and you couldn't shoot from one base to the other. I just vaguely remember it, and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what it was.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

meteorite i sent u the config and stuff its in the map.
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Elem3nt wrote:
dartman wrote:I remember an old Hepcat map I used to love. It was around 1.8. Red vs. Green CTF, jumping, and superflags. I don't know exactly what it was called, but it was loads of fun. I'd like to see it up again on someone else's server since hepcat is...over. I also really like Pillbox. Overlord was okay.
I think I remember a map on hepcat waaaay back when. It had elevated bases and you couldn't shoot from one base to the other. I just vaguely remember it, and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what it was.
Yes, and there were superflags, jumping, and ricochet. And there were ton of buildings and a few teleporters.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Elem3nt wrote:One more thing! Cosmos, if you're still there, could you please post a server config so people won't have to guess about flag types, shot limits, and the such when trying to carry on the hepcat style? Thanks! and a big thanks for all you do as hepcat server owner.
I believe that the variables in overlord were all regular. there was one of every flag, 1 geno shot, 15 super flag shots. 5 second bad flag. 2 wings jumps and thats about it.

BTW: meteorite if your reading this, i sent you the REAL map.
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

OK, adding the real map and changing server variables per your request. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

WOW

Post by optic delusion »

WOW that is almost unbelievable. Hepcat was the best server for along time. It will always be remembered as the place I learned to play BZFlag, And the place that got me hooked too.
I feel like I'm losing an old freind.

I can definitely understand why cosmos would feel the way he does, some people just........ don't understand the reason servers are there.
I run a league server, the unregistered cannot spawn. It only took a few days until I made it so the unregistered can't even talk either.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

I've moved my grassroots map server from port 4200 to 4201 for the 5 of you who actually have been to the server since its been up. Guess it isn't as popular of a map as I thought.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tropican8 wrote:I've moved my grassroots map server from port 4200 to 4201 for the 5 of you who actually have been to the server since its been up. Guess it isn't as popular of a map as I thought.
You could make it a rotation between overlord and babel/grassroots to boost the popularity. just like the old hepcat.
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Brennen The Great wrote:
Tropican8 wrote:I've moved my grassroots map server from port 4200 to 4201 for the 5 of you who actually have been to the server since its been up. Guess it isn't as popular of a map as I thought.
You could make it a rotation between overlord and babel/grassroots to boost the popularity. just like the old hepcat.
Babel's wasn't originally a hepcat map. cosmos was kind enough to host it when Babel disappeared.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

duh! i already know that but im just saying... putting overlord in the rotation wqould create popularity :P.
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

hepcat.tybox.net Maps going down

Post by SilverFox »

Ditto. I couldn't have said it better!
Atleast the hepcat.tybox servers are still up (as far as I know...) and one of them is hosting the pillbox map.
hepcat.tybox.net maps have all been shut down as well. the hepcat.bzflag.org website has been shut down as well.

In its place, silvercat.tybox.net servers are up, and http://silvercat.bzflag.org/ is being built.

Maps we are running:

warzone reloaded 5001
overlord/babel rotation on 5154
pillbox on 5155
ducati on 5156
pillbox league maps on 5157 & 5158

overlord/babel seems to be quite popular at the moment (when I left there were 30 players online)

I had planned on leaving the hepcat name and servers in place, but out of respect jomojo asked that they be changed to silvercat. Jomojo is the chief admin, and has set up admin and cop lists that includes many of the original hepcat admins, so you'll get the same feel from the same maps.

See you one the field.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Im not a fan of hepcat myself, but I am to sad to loose servers to go to and see that idiots like those that have bothered cosmos actually are out there.

Thank you cosmos.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Sorry to go off topic, but I'm kind of wondering what you guys consider to be the best servers left - you know, the big names in the bzflag community that are on par with hepcat's popularity. Because the only ones I know of are games united and viper's two castles, and I'm getting bored of going to just one or the other when I want a high player count match. Everything else on the top of the list that I saw had either bots or non-standard flag settings.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Workaphobia wrote:Sorry to go off topic, but I'm kind of wondering what you guys consider to be the best servers left - you know, the big names in the bzflag community that are on par with hepcat's popularity. Because the only ones I know of are games united and viper's two castles, and I'm getting bored of going to just one or the other when I want a high player count match. Everything else on the top of the list that I saw had either bots or non-standard flag settings.
pythonian.com just closed but it was really popular.
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Brennen The Great wrote:
Workaphobia wrote:Sorry to go off topic, but I'm kind of wondering what you guys consider to be the best servers left - you know, the big names in the bzflag community that are on par with hepcat's popularity. Because the only ones I know of are games united and viper's two castles, and I'm getting bored of going to just one or the other when I want a high player count match. Everything else on the top of the list that I saw had either bots or non-standard flag settings.
pythonian.com just closed but it was really popular.
It could come back. Depends whether or not people decide to donate and get free server room. At least I think that's what's going on... two topics by Harlin are contradicting in a way.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

pillbox 1.0

Post by SilverFox »

The hepcat map mentioned earlier with elevated bases, superflags and jumping was the original pillbox, believe it or not. Cosmos would run it once in a while for nastalgia's sake. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Harlin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Harlin »

I have an elevated Pillbox-like server with flags, jumping and a few of my own simple surprises. Unfortunately, I can only host it for 8 vs 8 due to bandwidth considerations.

thanks,

Harlin Seritt
Harlin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Harlin »

Oh yeah, forgot to post its address: pythonian.com:5154

It's a fast server but I have to monitor its bandwidth usage because I'm so cheap :)
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Harlin, that's not the one we're talking about.

The one we were discussing is identical to the existing pillbox (less the hepcat logo) except the base is elevated, jumping is allowed and superflags.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Actually, I saw it up yesterday on your server. It got really popular really fast! It's probably on the first page of the server list right now. :D