Wings on the tank model

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Brick Majors
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wings on the tank model

Post by Brick Majors »

Hi,

The second (and last) in my series of totally unecessary "enhancements":

Credit goes to BIYA for the rough wing shape.

I've attempted to implement this as nicely as I could, with as few changes as possible (meaning i've almost certainly failed at both) but it does seems to work.

The patch should hopefully work on any reasonably recent CVS for anyone that wants to check them out for themselves.
Attachments
wings2.patch.txt
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by Brick Majors on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Nice one, Brick! I like it, and it kinda makes the tanks with wings a bit bigger, so easier to hit the pesky fellows! :twisted:
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

i cant see the pic, but how do you use the patch?
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Brick Majors
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brick Majors »

Thanks CBG,

i proberbly should have mentioned that currently the wings are purely cosmetic and dont make the tank easier to hit, or stop it from driving close to walls/obstacles etc.. i left that out so they wouldnt change gameplay at all, or get stuck on some of the more cramped maps, though it could easily be included.

edit: ^nightmare^, the patch is applied to the source code, you need to be able to compile the game to use it.
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

ok thanks, if they do use this, they should count the wings as part of the tank. It would probably even out the advanteage of wings, dtr was trying to fix that.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

thatll help us mofo'ers kill holey tanks. flying holey tanks. he is friggin unstoppable with wings.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

That's really good! Nice job BIYA and Brick. I'd like to see this implemented soon.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

I would'nt mind if someone compile it for windows!! I havnt seen it in action yet :(. . Most of the credit goes to Brick. I just gave him the idea.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

what if the wings were different than the actual tank? so if 1 wing got shot off, you would not die but veer to one side and not jump as high or move as fast. then if the other one got shot off, wings go bye, and you freefall, as you are now a normal tank....
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Well we had an idea on having them popout when you grabbed the wings flag. But I think that involves alot more time a patience then what Brick has done. I had ideas like a bottle of NOS would pop out the back when you grabbed HighSpeed flag, or when you grab SW an Antenna pops out the top of the tank.

But again those are ideas and beyond my level of skill which is 0
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

BIYA wrote:Well we had an idea on having them popout when you grabbed the wings flag. But I think that involves alot more time a patience then what Brick has done. I had ideas like a bottle of NOS would pop out the back when you grabbed HighSpeed flag, or when you grab SW an Antenna pops out the top of the tank.

NOS goes with agility.

Go for a turbo spooling, with highspeed, complete with sound.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

AAA the lovely sound of turbo those were the days mmmmmm hmmm
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Anyone happen to have a link to something explaining how to create and apply patches to downloaded cvs? I assume it's all done with this "diff" tool, which I've never heard of before.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

The Red Baron wrote:
BIYA wrote:Well we had an idea on having them popout when you grabbed the wings flag. But I think that involves alot more time a patience then what Brick has done. I had ideas like a bottle of NOS would pop out the back when you grabbed HighSpeed flag, or when you grab SW an Antenna pops out the top of the tank.

NOS goes with agility.
No, that'd be Gatorade. :lol-old:

Yeah, nice tank. However, I like BIYA's supertank better.
huw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by huw »

I think something like this should be added to the offical build. I am always getting shot by tanks with Wings because I didnt realise that they had it.
Brick Majors
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brick Majors »

Hi,

I got bored, so decided to "finish" this. I've updated the file attached in the original post.

In the new version the wings "grow" out of the tank when you pick up the flag, and shrink when the flag is dropped. (i also considered rotating the wings out of the tank body like a swing-wing but I dont think it really suits this wing shape)

The new patch will not work with the old one, it must be applied to a fresh(ish) CVS.

I'm still not thrilled with my implementation, but it seems to work reasonably well.

To apply the patch you must have the ability to compile the source,

For Workaphobia:
"diff" is a basic tool found on unix based systems that compares files and directories.
The file produced by diff is applied using the "patch" command. (I assume other platforms have some sort of equivilant tools)

On linux at least, place the patch in the main bz directory and use the command :

patch -p2 -d . <wings2.patch.txt

autogen.sh
./configure
make
etc...
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

dartman wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:

NOS goes with agility.
No, that'd be Gatorade. :lol-old:

Yeah, nice tank. However, I like BIYA's supertank better.
that is the supertank model... it is just red because it was a red tank, not a rogue tank.
Brick Majors
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brick Majors »

Actually its not the supertank model, the wings are smaller, and a slightly different shape to Biya's supertank (though its not very obvious from the screenshot), also the tailfins are missing. But as mentioned in the first post, the general wing shape (ie. wing with winglet) is stolen from the supertank.