Why is there a player limit?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Why is there a player limit?

Post by lddw »

I have a new PC:
Socket 939 Athlon 64 3200 and a good Motherboard, but there is a problem on my server. When too many players (more than 8. ) are connected, there are EAGAIN error. I'm on windows XP.
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yep, that's a bug. The only way to fix it right now is to use Linux. Yep. Change your OS.
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lddw »

i've already never used bzflag under linux. Is it harder?

I know well computers (PC, MAC) and a little linux.
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Well even a Mac would serve good. :)

I would say if you have Linux now use it, because it would still be more reliable and you can take advantage of plugins now.

This is just my advice; no OS wars please.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lddw »

My father doesn't want that i use the mac as server.
I have DVDs of linux, but i'll have to find an HDD for that.
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

lddw wrote:My father doesn't want that i use the mac as server.
I have DVDs of linux, but i'll have to find an HDD for that.
Awe, Mac would be easier. :wink:

Well at least you got a DVD, I hate downloading like 3 CDs. :lol-old: Hope you can find an HDD.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

RPG
What he ever loving hell are you talking about. There is no known 8 player limit problem with windows bzfs. I know there are people who run servers just fine on windows. Please to not make statements like these when you have no info or ability to back them up.

A Meteorite
stuff your mac stuff and stay on topic. This is not a drill. You know damn well that he can't run OSX on that hardware. So stop telling people to go spend money on overpriced hardware that runs an even more limited scope of software.

lddw
Are you running XP home or XP pro? If I am not incorect XP home has a limit to the maxiumum number of open connections it can have. This is why it does not make a good server OS. There may be a registry config change you can make to enable more. but let us know. If we can find out what is going on we can fix it.

When people have bugs they need to get reported. Rumors and hearsay from uniformed users are just that, bunk.

There is no reason why bzfs can not run the same on any OS. They all work. Some OSs are just better suited for jobs then others.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

lddw
you will want to read this, http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497
There is a connection limit by default with Service Pack2
For a dedicated server XP is not the best choice. It was designed for your typical end user, not somone hosting.

But they link to a tool that can edit your registry and your configs to allow more connections. If you are secured behind a firewall then you will want to do this and allow for more inccoming connections.

http://www.phex.kouk.de/mambo/content/view/49/33/
also has some aditional info.

bzfs itself dosn't have any hard coded player limits other then the internal max of 252 connected users ( the max player ID )
ImageJeffM
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lddw »

Thanks for help.
I've run the server but now, the school restarts and i have to work hard.
Next year maybe or in holiday i'll continue to do it
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lddw »

Is it not dangerous?

Windows tells me that some necessary files are needed. They were remplaced by an other version wich is unknown
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes because techincaly that has happend. You are making your OS do something it was not configured for by default. Since you are setting a config outside the normal range, you are geting those warnings. You can turn that off with another registry change. It is a feature to help prevent people's computers from being changed with out there knowledge.

If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, I would highly recomened against running a plubilc server, on any OS. You are puting a computer out on the internet running a service that is listening for public trafic. Misconfigured, any comuter on any OS could be compromised.

Linux has better tools in general for running live internet servers ( remote management, firewals, etc.. ).

OS X has some os the same linux tools, and the advantage of not being the #1 and #2 targerts of worm/virus/security exploids ( windows and linux are #1 and #2 ), due to it's smaller market share. It can make an ok server. But it has it's own hardware requirements, ( i.e. if you don't own a mac allready, what' the point ).

If you wish to run your server own windows I'd recomend resarching about windows networking and what you need to do to secure the machine. Upgrading to a server version of the OS will help many things ( including the connection limit ) like windows server 2003, but you may have budgetary constraints.

That is linux's primary advantage over the other 2, it's free.
ImageJeffM
lddw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lddw »

ok
OWNER at lddw's servers
Citrus.admin
Cruel.admin
WinXP.admin
Spazzy.cops
Metec.mapper
Heart.trusted
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

JeffM2501 wrote:If I am not incorect XP home has a limit to the maxiumum number of open connections it can have. This is why it does not make a good server OS. There may be a registry config change you can make to enable more. but let us know. If we can find out what is going on we can fix it.
Yep the limit on XP Home is 5.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;314882

I can confirm this as once 5 players are on my server, people can't join. Reg hack anyone?

EDIT: That's why my logger keeps getting kicked when the server gets busy! Didn't think that was related to anything like this.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

But that article, since it's provided by MS, doesn't give any info on hacking the OS to remove the limit. If you find any of articles that do what I just said, preferrably for XP home SP1, they'll be throngs of Windows users ready to come to your homage.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

What about running a minimal Linux/Unix inside Windows? Would that get around the limit?
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Tropican8 wrote:Yep the limit on XP Home is 5.
I've been running a server on Windows XP for a while now and I've had at least 10 people on it at the same time.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

brad2901 wrote:
Tropican8 wrote:Yep the limit on XP Home is 5.
I've been running a server on Windows XP for a while now and I've had at least 10 people on it at the same time.
Yeah I never had a problem up until a few cvs checkouts ago. How sure are we that this is the problem?
Microsoft wrote:The connection limit refers to the number of redirector-based connections and is enforced for any file, print, named pipe, or mail slot session. The TCP connection limit is not enforced, but it may be bound by legal agreement to not permit more than 10 clients.