Support for Mac OS X and other operating system plugins

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
learner
General
General

Support for Mac OS X and other operating system plugins

Post by learner »

The infrastructure is now in finally in place for fully cross-platform plug-in compilations (via libtool). This includes support for Mac OS X. I initially only added a couple of the existing plugins to the new build but it's only a matter of simple Makefile conversion to make get of them all working now.

On a slightly unrelated topic, if you're experiencing ~ranlib build errors from the CVS sources and you're using fink, you've got a mismatch of libtool+automake. You'll either have to 'fink remove' them both, or update them both to the latest. The versions that ship with the Apple developer tools are perfectly sufficient; the problem is only when fink is also installed and overrides the Apple-provided GNU Build System tools.

Cheers!
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Learner is my hero!

Post by optic delusion »

OMG.... and my schedule is full for tomorrow... won't have the time until Tuesday....

I have re-installed my OSX10.3.9 from scratch, and haven't yet installed Fink again. I suppose I should just leave it out.

Is the difference between libtoolize and Glibtoolize gonna be a problem? I have the former, and use a command before I load CVS, to use libtoolize. I found out where to get Glibtoolize, and how to install it, but didn't install, figuring I'd ask you first.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

It's not a problem. It's not even a difference. It's simply an autogen.sh warning about one of them being missing, which was unexpected and 'could' cause problems in other situations if one weren't using autogen.sh. Fortunate for you, you are running autogen.sh so that it's just a warning that you can safely ignore.

You don't have to leave fink out. You can install it if you like. Just if you do, kmake sure you're not using libtool or automake from fink.

fink remove libtool
fink remove automake

Might want to remove fink's autoconf for good measure too.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

YAY!!! :D

/me jumps up and down in excitement!

I'm compiling the newest CVS as I speak now. I will post here how it goes... I am getting some warnings I've never got before but it's still compiling so I'm figuring they're not a "fatal error." Can't wait to get running... :D
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Highlights and LowLights

Post by optic delusion »

Here's the Highlights from my first CVS after Plugins are enabled? for MAC
Remember I Started with a fresh, clean install of MacOSX 10.3.9
I have NOT installed FINK.

On my first CVS try I didn't have SDL, now I know I need that, so I canceled CVS, and got it at http://www.libsdl.org/index. Installation is easy.

Now on my second CVS try, My report begins with the command
./autogen.sh
The first three lines are...
Found GNU Autoconf version 2.57
Found GNU Automake version 1.6.3
Found GNU Libtool version 1.5.0
Now I suddenly know why I was getting the Glibtoolize warning I mentioned in an earlier post. I was using these four commands...
aclocal> autoheader> automake --add-missing > autoconf
when I should have just used ./autogen. Now I have "Gnu-Libtoolize" YAY!

That's finished, so now I use...
./configure --enable-plugins
I'm not sure why I used that command, but I did.....

Now I get this...
checking for ares_init in -lcares... no
configure: WARNING: using an internal c-ares lib.
configure: WARNING: Consider installing an updated library at system level
configure: WARNING: link is http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/
I've been told that this is just a warning, not an error, and I should ignore it. I had screwed up when I needlessly used fink to update c-ares last month. Using the BZFlag-internal c-ares library is fine.

Now it's time to run "make"
No question, Compiling takes way longer with plugins. I have plenty of time to write this report.
Finally Make ends like this...

Making all in platform
Making all in MacOSX
source='MacDisplay.cxx' object='MacDisplay.lo' libtool=yes \
depfile='.deps/MacDisplay.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/MacDisplay.TPlo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../../../misc/depcomp \
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../src/platform -pipe -ansi -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -g -O2 -DBZ_BUILD_DATE=20050905 -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions -c -o MacDisplay.lo `test -f 'MacDisplay.cxx' || echo './'`MacDisplay.cxx
mkdir .libs
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../include -I../../../src/platform -pipe -ansi -pedantic -fno-exceptions -W -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -g -O2 -DBZ_BUILD_DATE=20050905 -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions -c MacDisplay.cxx -MT MacDisplay.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/MacDisplay.TPlo -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/MacDisplay.o
In file included from MacDisplay.h:10,
from MacDisplay.cxx:1:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:33:37: CarbonSound/CarbonSound.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [MacDisplay.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
This does not look good at all. Looks like I still need a framework, It doesn't look related to fink.

So I poke around on my hard drive for awhile, accomplish nothing, and decide to compile a plugin.
Running make on airspawn looks good to me, and ends like this...
(cd .libs && rm -f libairspawn.0.0.0.dylib && ln -s libairspawn.0.dylib libairspawn.0.0.0.dylib)
ar cru .libs/libairspawn.a airspawn.o
ranlib .libs/libairspawn.a
creating libairspawn.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libairspawn.la && ln -s ../libairspawn.la libairspawn.la)
Now that looked like it compiled fine, but there is no resultant "Airspawn.so" file. PlayHistoryTracker and ShockWaveDeath had the same result.
Racetoseven gave about 99 arrors...

Oh Well, time to post. I'll keep trying.

P.S
I think this is a good thing, I had X11 until last week, and losing it was a benefit of re-installing OSX. Should I get X11 again?
checkingX11/Xlib.h usability... no
checking X11/Xlib.h presence... no
checking for X11/Xlib.h... no

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Getting errors...

here's the first round:

Code: Select all

Making all in plugins
Making all in RogueGenocide
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -DBZ_BUILD_DATE=20050906 -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -framework SDL -Wl,-search_paths_first -mdynamic-no-pic -o libRogueGenocide.la -rpath /usr/local/lib  RogueGenocide.lo  -lm -L/sw/lib -lcurl -no-undefined -L/sw/lib -L/sw/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL
g++ -dynamiclib  -single_module  -o .libs/libRogueGenocide.0.dylib  .libs/RogueGenocide.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lm -L/sw/lib -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -Wl,-search_paths_first -mdynamic-no-pic -install_name  /usr/local/lib/libRogueGenocide.0.dylib -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 1.0
ld: Undefined symbols:
__Z13bz_killPlayeribiPKc
__Z13bz_newIntListv
__Z14bz_removeEvent13bz_eEventTypeP15bz_EventHandler
__Z15bz_debugMessageiPKc
__Z16bz_deleteIntListP12bzAPIIntList
__Z16bz_registerEvent13bz_eEventTypeP15bz_EventHandler
__Z18bz_sendTextMessageiiPKc
__Z19bz_freePlayerRecordP15bz_PlayerRecord
__Z19bz_getPlayerByIndexi
__Z21bz_getPlayerIndexListP12bzAPIIntList
__ZN11bzApiStringneEPKc
__ZN12bzAPIIntList4sizeEv
__ZNK12bzAPIIntListixEj
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [libRogueGenocide.la] Error 1
Now it kept going on and now this:

Making install in plugins
Making install in RogueGenocide
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -DBZ_BUILD_DATE=20050906 -O3 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-exceptions  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -framework SDL -Wl,-search_paths_first -mdynamic-no-pic -o libRogueGenocide.la -rpath /usr/local/lib  RogueGenocide.lo  -lm -L/sw/lib -lcurl -no-undefined -L/sw/lib -L/sw/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL
g++ -dynamiclib  -single_module  -o .libs/libRogueGenocide.0.dylib  .libs/RogueGenocide.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lm -L/sw/lib -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -Wl,-search_paths_first -mdynamic-no-pic -install_name  /usr/local/lib/libRogueGenocide.0.dylib -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 1.0
ld: Undefined symbols:
__Z13bz_killPlayeribiPKc
__Z13bz_newIntListv
__Z14bz_removeEvent13bz_eEventTypeP15bz_EventHandler
__Z15bz_debugMessageiPKc
__Z16bz_deleteIntListP12bzAPIIntList
__Z16bz_registerEvent13bz_eEventTypeP15bz_EventHandler
__Z18bz_sendTextMessageiiPKc
__Z19bz_freePlayerRecordP15bz_PlayerRecord
__Z19bz_getPlayerByIndexi
__Z21bz_getPlayerIndexListP12bzAPIIntList
__ZN11bzApiStringneEPKc
__ZN12bzAPIIntList4sizeEv
__ZNK12bzAPIIntListixEj
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [libRogueGenocide.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
It put me back too the prompt. Just to let you know here's the commands I did:

sudo ./autogen.sh
sudo ./configure --enable-plugins
sudo make; sudo make install
Please note that it hanged on sudo ./autogen.sh so I did ctrl-c to quit it. I hope this isn't the problem. :|

I really want to use plugins so please help! :)

*edit*
Just noticed both of these error are exactly the same! I wonder why it did it twice while compiling...
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Trial and Error, or Trial by Error?

Post by optic delusion »

OK, I figured I was mising a library, now how to get it? Software Update - where else? Turns out QuickTime SDK had somehow not been installed.

This time I use command ./configure; make

I'm happy to report that "make" gets past "source='MacDisplay.cxx" now.

I get about fifteen warnings that look similar to this..
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tanhf
/usr/lib/libstdc++.a(stubs.o) private external definition of _tanhf in section (__TEXT,__text)

and soon after it ends like this...
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regcomp.o) definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regerror
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regerror.o) definition of _regerror in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regerror.So) definition of _regerror
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regexec.o) definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regfree.o) definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regfree.So) definition of _regfree
make[2]: *** [bzflag] Error 1

Now I'm closer than ever before, but still can't get to the point where I would be able to use "make install" I'm using the commands straight off of the "How to CVS for MacOSX" post. I'm not using "sudo" anywhere in my commands. Tomorrow, I'll try that, maybe it will compile as far to where "make" actually operates on the plugins. Who knows, maybe I'll get the same errors as Meteorite, maybe not.

ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

I can reproduce getting the regex errors after "repairing rights" within disk utility. Uninstalling dev tools and re-installing them helped in my case.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

repairing rights?

Post by optic delusion »

I used the sudo commands, but got the same errors as before. I don't get anything like what Meteor had.

ToughShooter, you mean "repair permissions" correct.

I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

I can't say or give any expertize as far as the mas os goes... but I can say that with the new, recent changes to CVS - the "airspawn.so" files are not in a lib filder in the source tree. Seek ye the folder ~$bzflag/lib/ and they added the prefix lib in front of everything. What used to be airspawn.so is now libairspawn.so

I think they devs made it do when running make or make install, it makes all the plugins - I could be wrong.
...This has been a recording.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

SO I'm still upgrading my fresh OSX10.3.9
I figure, why should I uninstall my entire devtools? the Xcode installer can do an upddate. I watch the installer like a hawk, it's preparing, processing, for twenty minutes, but the only thing that actually got INSTALLED was "april2004 xcode extras" Hmmmmmm, reminds me of the time there was one file that somehow didn't get installed the first time I ran Software Update.

learner
General
General

Re: Highlights and LowLights

Post by learner »

A-Delusion wrote:Now it's time to run "make"
No question, Compiling takes way longer with plugins. I have plenty of time to write this report.
It doesn't take "way longer". In fact from what you've been reporting you haven't even gotten to the plugins yet. Compiling just takes a while regardless. If you time your build, you should note that the build is still within a few seconds of what it used to be. It does output more now, so maybe that's what makes it feel like it's taking longer.
A-Delusion wrote:/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:33:37: CarbonSound/CarbonSound.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [MacDisplay.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
This does not look good at all. Looks like I still need a framework, It doesn't look related to fink.
It's not at all related to fink. You've got a misconfigured system; you're missing the Quicktime SDK. Make sure you have all the items installed from Software Update and then go to the Apple downloads site and reinstall the Quicktime SDK and latest system update if you still have the error. There's no "working around" this one.
A-Delusion wrote: Now that looked like it compiled fine, but there is no resultant "Airspawn.so" file. PlayHistoryTracker and ShockWaveDeath had the same result.
There are no ".so" shared object files on Mac OS X. Macs use dynamic object (.dylib) libraries instead, which are not exactly the same, but close enough. When you get the rest of the build working, the dylibs will be installed into $prefix/lib (e.g. /usr/local/lib) and will be named something like libairspawn.dylib. Before install, they are in the .libs directory, though they really should be installed before use for reasons to complicated to get into here.
learner
General
General

Re: Trial and Error, or Trial by Error?

Post by learner »

A-Delusion wrote:ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regcomp.o) definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regerror
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regerror.o) definition of _regerror in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regerror.So) definition of _regerror
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regexec.o) definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libm.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
../regex/.libs/libregex.a(regfree.o) definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
Everyone say it with me.. "these are not errors". They are warnings, hence why it says "warning" on each line. The regex multiple definition warnings are nothing to pay attention to. If the build fails, it's because something else is wrong.

And yes, aborting autogen.sh being run by root was a very bad thing to do. Very bad. At that point, you're better off deleting your bzflag dir and starting over with a fresh checkout. Don't run things as root unless you know what it implies.. The only stage that requires sudo is 'sudo make install' after a 'make' fully completes successfully.
Last edited by learner on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Trial and Error, or Trial by Error?

Post by A Meteorite »

learner wrote:And yes, aborting autogen.sh being run by root was a very bad thing to do. Very bad. At that point, you're better off deleting your bzflag dir and starting over with a fresh checkout. Don't run things as root unless you know what it implies.. The only stage that requires sudo is 'sudo make install' after a 'make' fully completes successfully.
The reason I did that because I have it in /usr/src it requires root in order to do anything that writes files. :| I'll try it in my home directory.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

OK - in review here's what I did,
Fresh install of OSX 10.3.x to remove fink and X11
I included XCode Tools in that install, but was sure not to re-install X11
This leaves me with gcc3.3
"Software Update" to OSX 10.3.9
Install SDL from download
"Software Update" again for Quicktime SDK
Again run XCodeTools disk in update mode for "april2004 xcode extras"
Do I have everything I need now? We will find out.

Now I throw out my old build every time I attempt CVS. This is my fourth attempt, in 24 hours.
For the record, here's the commands I'm using now.

cd ~
mkdir cvs
cd cvs
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag co bzflag
cd ~/cvs/bzflag
./autogen.sh
./configure; make
sudo make install

Nope, I still get the regex stuff, and make stops before it ever gets to the plugins.

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

OK, this is not compiling on my Mac. I re-downloaded fresh CVS and did everything without sudo. I get the same errors! :x Heck, I could be compiling it wrong... Learner, can you please post the exact steps used to get plugins working?

About ready to pull out my old trusty Mandriva Linux... (Fedora refuses to compile :| )
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

So now I have this...

On a hunch, I do another, whole tree download, and use...
./configure --disable-client --enable-plugins
then I run make, and it ends like this....
ranlib .libs/libvocaliser.a
creating libvocaliser.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libvocaliser.la && ln -s ../libvocaliser.la libvocaliser.la)
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.

OK now we're getting somewhere. and....
sudo make install

Well, I've got no client, but IT WORKED FOR PLUGINS
Now what...I decide to go to sleep...

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Got to try that! Thanks for the tip Delusion!

/me goes off to lose more hours of sleep while banging his head on the desk :wink:
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

learner
General
General

sheesh, pay attention..

Post by learner »

A-Delusion wrote:Nope, I still get the regex stuff, and make stops before it ever gets to the plugins.
I never said you wouldn't or shouldn't get the regex "stuff". I simply said that they are not errors. The fact that it says error at the end is just summary from make. The actual compiler error is listed elsewhere in the output. Paste your entire output from the last compile line to pastebin.com instead and it should be easier to see what's going on.
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

A Meteorite wrote:OK, this is not compiling on my Mac. I re-downloaded fresh CVS and did everything without sudo. I get the same errors! :x Heck, I could be compiling it wrong... Learner, can you please post the exact steps used to get plugins working?
The steps being used are correct. unpack sources, autogen.sh, configure, make, sudo make install if make succeeds. There are build failures because of something missing or misconfigured on your systems. Like a missing library or conflict of some sort. Hard to say without seeing the actual compile error still. (not regex!)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

pasties

Post by optic delusion »

OK, the bad one,
I started at autogen, it looked perfect untill then

I had to split it into two, pastebin stops at 1778 lines
http://pastebin.com/356983
http://pastebin.com/356988

learner
General
General

Post by learner »

Heh, there's not a single error in those two pastebins. The second one cuts off mid build.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

A-Delusion
The regex stuff was fixed in plugin CVS. I'll release another racetoseven that will reflect those changes sometime today.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

RPG wrote:A-Delusion
The regex stuff was fixed in plugin CVS. I'll release another racetoseven that will reflect those changes sometime today.
Would that release happen to reflect on the functional problems I posted backtraces and valgrind dumps in regard to?
...This has been a recording.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I_Died_Once wrote:
RPG wrote:A-Delusion
Would that release happen to reflect on the functional problems I posted backtraces and valgrind dumps in regard to?
No, but all that stuff that was crashing the server, was because of a null data pointer. Now, it checks for those, and handles them in a safe, non-destructive manner. So this next release should be near perfectly stable. (as nothing can be 100% stable)