All new CTF league website

Discussions about the various leagues
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

All new CTF league website

Post by Chestal »

Well, actually it will look rather familiar, but it got some new features and behind the scenes, the code got reorganized. Things that are new:
  • On the team page a list of 10 most recent matches is displayed. It's also possible to display all matches a team has ever played.
  • When a team gets removed, the information about its matches won't get lost anymore. The team will show up as 'deleted team'.
  • New match results and forum discussons since your last visit are highlighted.
  • 'Dead' Teams and players get removed automatically, i.e. a team gets deleted when none of its players has logged in for 3 months. Players without a team get removed when they didn't log in for 3 months, too. This includes the formerly announced big cleanup. Check if you're still there :)
That's all I remember, maybe I forgot something. We hope that everything runs smoothly, if there are problems, please report them. Suggestions are also welcome. Kudos (and blame :wink:) go to [dmp] because he did all the work.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Hey,

The new code seems to work nicly, thank god. Guess I'm not gonna be shot just yet :)

This follwoing text is my personal view of the topic. I've talked with chestal about some of it, but it shoudnt be considered as anything else than a brainstorm for future work.

Anyway, next step will proberly be to implement a new design, and begin rewriting the pages (most work have been in splitting up code and restructuring). So I would love some input so I know what is needed and what is not.

My idea for new features: Support FFA matches and 1on1 - this would hopefully make the site abit more active. But these features needs to be defined before I even begin to open my editor. And defining them, isnt my work alone - so help is required :)

I dont play much FFA nor 1on1, so I dont really have any insights in how this could work, but I think it should be based on the same rating algo as CTF uses. I think this works quite nice, and cant see why this should cause any problems for FFA matches.

So some rules need to be defined for FFA and 1on1 matches. This shouldnt be hard. I think they should similar to CTF matches (eg duration) but is not sure how many players need to play on both team, how the server should be configured (again, i would like ducati-style or perhaps like bzgirls setup, so focus would be on tank-skill and teamplay).

Any of you FFA guys wanna give me some input?

thanks,

kind regards,
dennis
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think that the FFA games should have variables.. ones that teams can agree on. Such as jumping, rico, shot count, flags, etc. This will require a vote I guess... so a poll is probabily in order.

I will personally stick with jumping 4-10 shot with some super flags. 4-10 shot will eliminate a lag problem (where 1-3 shot would be tougher with jumping), jumping will give some advantages to newer teams (and will enhance the game play), and super flags will be a neat addition (although I think that GM and L are too powerful for match games). How does that sound?

I'm sure that every "old" player will whine that 4-10 shot is too much.. but I disagree. There are some players that won't be able to play with a low shot count.. they don't have any experience with that kind of game. That is the only problem that I see with CTF matches... new players don't stand a chance. With more shots, the newer players will have a chance to survive in a match.

Post by Guest »

dmp i keep getting logged out everytime i log into the BZflag League site ...this didnt happen before you updated the site . your not trying to get rid of mee are you? :(

Post by Guest »

btw my call sign name is : Rebel Chik

dats da name i use there...

Post by Guest »

nevermind dmp i figgered it out . i guess da updated site or code doesnt support my version of AOL browser(like it did b4) , buh it werks wif my internet explorer ... weird
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KRR »

AOL is whats weird :)

Chik u should try to find a local ISP and set up an account with them. You will probably pay less monthly, and your lag might improve as well. Just a thought -

KR :lol-old:
"My other tank is a sailboat..."
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

I didnt test this but the only thing i've changed regard login/session management, was that now it verify the ip-address, so you cannot steal the session except if you use the same ip.

However, i suspect (not sure, but this is what comes to my mind) that AOL uses www proxies, and you get different ips for some/all of your hits, so this IP-validation fails and it treats this as a new session (and it appears that you havnt logged in).

So chik, please, when you get online try to reach me. If you cannot, try to see if you can log in at http://league.baat.dk/league/index.php with your AOL browser.
I don't need huge pictures here.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Could someone else test this with AOL for me? I would like to fix this problem, but I'm not a AOL customer.

Post by Guest »

yes dmp dat link u gave mee werks wif my AOL , jus like it used ta ... http://league.baat.dk/league/index.php

it has all the stuff in dere , up until 5/13/03
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussi »

that link shows me in my old team :oops:
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Dont worry about the data, its just for testing purpose. I'll update the league later today, so it will work with AOL proxies.
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Ya,but the website needs updating.I changed the team name to the BZ Buddies.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Chikorita: you also don't need to use the AOL browser, you can use regular internet exploer as well with AOL
ImageJeffM
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

ffa and 1v1 rules

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

seems like thats been talked about and talked about......

nobody has agree'd on rules. so maybe there shouldn't be any???

if 2 teams(or more) agree to some sort of FFA match and one teams wins, they get the points for a win. as long as the teams agree to their own terms and agree to the official match....who cares about game set up. sound like an idea?? same for 1v1.

but to what end does this serve? FFA and 1v1 have no ultimate champion or even a league, so the results might not ever matter. not many people play 1v1 it seems, and team FFA games...have they ever happened?

and about those greater than 3 shot servers...
:evil: hahaha
i won't whine, i play on them too. it quite fun spraying some shots and running for cover.
8)

cheers
sm
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

Actually sn0w_m0nkey,at the moment Chikorita and I are working towards getting a FFA league going. The rules will still have to be worked out, but I'm sure we can come up with something acceptable.

I should have a new high bandwidth bz server running soon (end of this month methinks) and as soon as I do, we will begin testing out different FFA competition methods.

The basic idea is that we'll have a few different options for an FFA game that the competing teams can choose from. Perhaps a timed game where the team with the greatest average score between its players wins. Or the first team to have all its players reach a certain score. The latter type of game would encourage weaker players to do better, since the only way to win is to have ALL of the players reach a certain score. In that case the team is only as strong as its weakest player.

Like I said, it is all being worked out.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

The matches are betwen two or more teams

Post by Guest »

Chikorita wrote:nevermind dmp i figgered it out . i guess da updated site or code doesnt support my version of AOL browser(like it did b4) , buh it werks wif my internet explorer ...
yes i kno patlabor , dats wut im doing ^^^^
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

very interesting

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

Actually sn0w_m0nkey,at the moment Chikorita and I are working towards getting a FFA league going. The rules will still have to be worked out, but I'm sure we can come up with something acceptable.
oh nice! i will keep an eye on this development.

good work!

sm
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

EvilChickenNugget wrote:Actually sn0w_m0nkey,at the moment Chikorita and I are working towards getting a FFA league going. The rules will still have to be worked out, but I'm sure we can come up with something acceptable.
Just wondering as Chikorita is involved. Is this for rebel-league?

Post by Guest »

Just wondering as Chikorita is involved. Is this for rebel-league?

The Rebel League will have both a CTF and a FFA division . They will be seperate , but both will use similiar match scoring and team/player ranking methods , and follow all Rebel League rules . In addition , both divisions will also hold their own Team Championship tournament at the end of the year .

:!: Evil Chicken Nugget is now the new Rebel League Administrator , and i am the Rebel League Secretary . :?: If you have any specific questions or inquires regarding the new Rebel League please feel free to ask us or contact me by email : Chikumz33@aol.com :)