BZFlag Release Candidate Build 2.0.4-rc5

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

BZFlag Release Candidate Build 2.0.4-rc5

Post by JeffM »

Today we have 2.0.4-rc5

This build is a candidate for a 2.0.4 release. Please test it as much as posible. If all works well, it will become the 2.0.4 gold master

Windows Installer
http://my.bzflag.org/builds/2.0.x/bzflag-2.0.4-rc5.exe

Windows Source Code
http://my.bzflag.org/builds/2.0.x/bzflag-2.0.4-rc5.zip

Source Tarball ( unix formated )
http://my.bzflag.org/builds/bzflag-2.0.4-rc5.tar.bz2

(requires DirectX 7+)

All current builds for 2.0.x will always be at http://my.bzflag.org/builds/2.0.x/

Linux and mac folk can, as always, build from anonymous cvs (unless it's broken); see http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3248 to download, and read the README for build instructions.

Please report any issues you have with this build, even if you think we already know about them! Issues that aren't reported aren't likely to be fixed before release.

This version has some decent changes;
1) Trepans graphic system changes are in, This version will use all the new visibility and LOD info in maps.
2) Multi-hunt is now a feature, it was kind of a bug before. We realise some people used the functionality the bug had, so it is now a feature. There is a new key to "add" somone to your hunt list.
3) The API has been enhanced to allow plugins to call shutdown, superkill, and gameover to help with new game modes ( like HTF ).
4) Some changes to the jitter limits to make the mouse work a little better.

I was unable to dupilcate the crash on F4 minimise and remaximsise it works well for me. Could any who still have that provide a complete bug report?

Thanks for your feedback.
Last edited by JeffM on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeffM
Tupone
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Tupone »

As usual, this is the source release http://my.bzflag.org/builds/bzflag-2.0.4-rc5.tar.bz2
Have fun compiling that.

--- tar updated for 2 missing header files
Last edited by Tupone on Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

A few notes on the new multiple-hunt feature ..

*) The hunt key (usually 'U') behaves the same as before.

*) A new key (default '7') has been added to allow the user to select or deselect hunted tanks. To use this, press '7', then scroll through the list of tanks as usual. If you then select a tank that is not already hunted, that tank will be ADDED to the hunt list. If you selected a tank that is already hunted, it will remove that tank from the hunt list. If there is only one tank hunted, and you remove it, hunt mode will be disabled.

*) If you press 'U' or '7' to enter the selection mode, and decide you don't want to select any tanks, simply press 'U' or '7' again.

*) Pressing 'U' when you are not currently selecting tanks to hunt will remove all tanks from the hunt list, if there are any.

*) Note that the keys 'U' and '7' are the default key bindings, these bindings can be changed from the options menus.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Yay! Hunt is back. Thanks devs!

P.S.: I'll try to compile this on my newly installed SuSE 9.3 installation.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

I got this latest rc5, and went on norang with it. Pretty soon it crashed. Same old hang.
Humbee
Private
Private

rc5 bug

Post by Humbee »

I was using 2.0.4rc5 (Windows 2000) tonight on Columns/Rivers (bzflag.norang.ca). I had GM and tried to escape SW through transporter. I could not pass through the front of the transporter (screen only went yellow) and SW had no effect on me while I was touching the front of the transporter (multiple attempts), but SW killed me when I backed off (was not touching the transporter and the screen was not yellow).

I HATE being called a cheater.

Other than this, I don't think I had any other problems.

HumBee
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

menotume wrote:A few notes on the new multiple-hunt feature ..

*) The hunt key (usually 'U') behaves the same as before.

*) A new key (default '7') has been added to allow the user to select or deselect hunted tanks. To use this, press '7', then scroll through the list of tanks as usual. If you then select a tank that is not already hunted, that tank will be ADDED to the hunt list. If you selected a tank that is already hunted, it will remove that tank from the hunt list. If there is only one tank hunted, and you remove it, hunt mode will be disabled.

*) If you press 'U' or '7' to enter the selection mode, and decide you don't want to select any tanks, simply press 'U' or '7' again.

*) Pressing 'U' when you are not currently selecting tanks to hunt will remove all tanks from the hunt list, if there are any.

*) Note that the keys 'U' and '7' are the default key bindings, these bindings can be changed from the options menus.
double press 'U' to multi-hunt?

I plan on testing the mouse compensation tomorrow. Would it be extremely rude of me to ask holding off on an official release, tell I have tested the mouse compensation?
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim (the Planet Dagobah (im in exile!))

Re: BZFlag Release Candidate Build 2.0.4-rc5

Post by MasterYoda »

JeffM2501 wrote: 3) The API has been enhanced to allow plugins to call shutdown, superkill, and gameover to help with new game modes ( like HTF ).
This will help for the new HTF League

www.geocities.com/masteryoda_bzflag

Enjoy!!!
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-The One and Only MasterYoda

On Ducati, GU, and Open League: Team Untamed
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

comments/issues

Post by SportChick »

1. Hunt/addhunt works fine the first time you connect to a server. However, if you connect to a new server without restarting the client, hunt/addhunt no longer works.
2. My on-screen jitter jumped quite a bit from r4. My jitter stat jumped as well. The frame rate is virtually identical between r4 and r5. At slow speed, turning produces some small amounts of jitter (or stutter if you will). At faster speeds, I can't seen stuttering, but it is much blurrier out the HUD. There is still blur at slow speeds, but not to the same extent as at high speeds. All in all, r5 is close to unplayable for me, especially at high speeds.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Re: comments/issues

Post by menotume »

SportChick wrote:1. Hunt/addhunt works fine the first time you connect to a server. However, if you connect to a new server without restarting the client, hunt/addhunt no longer works.
Thanks SC, i'll look at that right now.
huw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by huw »

Great :D
Tupone
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Tupone »

The Red Baron wrote: I plan on testing the mouse compensation tomorrow. Would it be extremely rude of me to ask holding off on an official release, tell I have tested the mouse compensation?
Are you looking for committing some mouse compensation code?

Great, but I wonder why we should compensate mouse ..

If you are instead talking about problem on tank position due to jittered ME player, there is not yet a fix for those, except removal of the code that try to align in time tank positions in presence of jitter: this ME things scramble all the data.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

SportChick wrote:1. Hunt/addhunt works fine the first time you connect to a server. However, if you connect to a new server without restarting the client, hunt/addhunt no longer works.
As of last nights CVS, this was true on linux builds
...This has been a recording.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I_Died_Once wrote:
As of last nights CVS, this was true on linux builds
This has been fixed in the latest CVS.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Tupone wrote:
The Red Baron wrote: I plan on testing the mouse compensation tomorrow. Would it be extremely rude of me to ask holding off on an official release, tell I have tested the mouse compensation?
Are you looking for committing some mouse compensation code?

Great, but I wonder why we should compensate mouse ..

If you are instead talking about problem on tank position due to jittered ME player, there is not yet a fix for those, except removal of the code that try to align in time tank positions in presence of jitter: this ME things scramble all the data.
For an extreme lack of jargon, i used the phrase "mouse compensation" in reference to The problem of tank position. forgive my ignorance.

yes I was refering to the the Problem of "ME" I was hoping to test it (and I did) as an end user, of not some "ME" but a user of the drivers that come with the mouse, due to a slow mouse by nature, I use the driver to speed up the response of my mouse.

thankfully, my manueverability was not harmed, sorry for my lack of faith.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!