Lag issues

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Nittetos
Private
Private

Lag issues

Post by Nittetos »

I am having an interesting problem with lagging on some servers....

I get a message from the server saying that my lag is too big, and eventually i get kicked. I have changed all the display and graphics settings to the lowest yet the problem still persists. However there are a few interesting points to take note of.
  • Firstly this problem occurs ONLY when i try to play on a capture-the-flag server.
    Secondly this problem does not occur when i am in observer mode on the same servers.
    Thridly i am able to play on the free-style servers without any problems.
I am running a ADSL internet connection.

Anyone got some ideas to solve this problem???[/list]
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

• Changing display settings lower won't change anything, lag is a measure of internet delay, so you can change your display and graphics settings up again.
  • It only happening on CTF servers is probably a coincidence, as many of the non-CTF servers do not have a lagkick.
  • The server dosen't care about lag in Observer because it dosen't affect gameplay.
  • DSL should be fine. Try stopping any servers you have on your network. Don't run other internet programs in the background. Scan for spyware.
  • Use /lagstats to see your lag.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I would like to add to TD-Linux point about /lagstats :

You can press the "o" key (not zero) and "enter". That way you don't have to type out /lagstats :wink:
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Nittetos
Private
Private

Lag

Post by Nittetos »

I get the lag stats and mostly it is between 200 and 400ms. But i'm not sure what to do when i get these figures. How do i fix the problem??
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

TD-Linux wrote:Changing display settings lower won't change anything, lag is a measure of internet delay, so you can change your display and graphics settings up again.
In some cases, if you have a video card with low memory (like 64mb), have your quality setting to "high", and are playing on a graphics intensive map such as anything by louman, you will get lag. In massive amounts! That, of course, isn't what we're talking about here, but for accuracy's sake...

Sounds like you have something eating your bandwidth. Try shutting down IRC, IM, email, and your web browser if any of these are running. Some of the IM programs can be rather sneaky about this. These will be especially bad if you have less than 512mb of memory.

Also, you are bound to get higher lag depending on the distance from your home to the server in question. You can always tell who is from North America on DUB, because our lag is always over 125ms. Europeans usually have something from 30-60 ms. The server is located in Germany. Many of the CTF maps have both European and North American counterparts.
Nittetos
Private
Private

Post by Nittetos »

That might be the problem then, since i live in Australia
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

That might be the problem then, since i live in Australia
Heh, that would do it.

Isn't Griffith University in Australia? I seem to recall them having a server at one time.