Harrassment

Discussions about the various leagues
carerra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Harrassment

Post by carerra »

OK. Its a pity that I am making a post on harrassment, but seriously who likes it? Too many people do it on the league that its very irritating and a distraction to players such as I who do have a short tempur and dont like silly name calling just because they (the name caller) is in a bad mood or has a lower score than you and are frusterated by it. Im sure this has happened to you all.

You may not care or you may disagree but I think personally there should be some sort of punishment to a degree for somewhat of a moderate-high degree of harrassment. Such as the consistant name "camper". And sometimes (such as last night I was playing with Brad and we were messing around and calling eachother names) you just are messing around and the other person knows that. So that is all fun and games, but its not all fun when someone is riding you with words youd rather have not seen them use.

So maybe Im just an idiot and dont use the "silence" command prompt like I should but really, I just want to see this game return to the good ol fun BZFLAG days. It seems to me like this has all come about due to the high level of compitition and whatnot. Im not naming anyone because that would be mean of me and Im not stooping to that level, but if you really would like to know....ask me. And I know for a fact that no one likes it...not you or you. So everyone help me out and put an end to the pointless harrassment. (I posted this in the GUleague forum as well)

A concerned,
Dark Zodiac/ bzflaginator
It is finally the end of all to come...

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man
Is either a fool or a coward
Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man shall say to his assailent
If i live i will kill you
If i die you are forgiven
Such is the rule of honor...
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

"Career campers" and the ever-cheap "winged weenies" deserve to be flamed into oblivion, especially spawn campers. I don't understand how people get off on ruining the game for everyone else. If someone calls you a camper, perhaps you should reconsider your tactics?

I honestly hate it when I'm not paying attention and my team captures a flag, and I'm at the other team's base- I usually don't have time to back off and am thus forced to fight when tanks start to spawn again, like a spawn camper. ugh.

Also, remember that sometimes an insult is no more than a playful jab- I realize this can be hard over the internet, but try to keep context in mind. Take planet MoFo for instance. It is arguably the most vulgar server on the public list, but in the vast majority of cases, exchange of insults are not really serious. You might be called something for stealing a flag at a bad time or some other annoyance, but at the end of the day it's all in good fun.

As for general trolling or whining, I find it best to just ignore them and allow the player in question to make himself/herself look like a moron.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
carerra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by carerra »

yes yes. agreed. but its when they take it seriously. i was once playing with some people and they started getting in their, ever increasing, arguing. it was like a total, just verbal war. we werent even playing. i felt kinda bad because i didnt really wanna say anything but w/e.

And yes, I do mess around with people and sometimes we do have a good time calling eachother silly names, but nothing to the degree of vulgar to be worried. I think that some people just need to keep their cool :roll:

temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

It, of course, depends entirely on the server owner. There is no BZF-wide policy on language or harassment. Each of the owners can set a policy and recruit the enough cops/admins to administer it. If you get into a situation where you think the server rules are being broken then you have to talk with the enforcers of those rules.

Since I am an adult and talk like one I gravitate toward the servers where natural language is not frowned upon - and am surprised and insulted on servers where even the smallest comment is a cause for concern.

If the server owners want to control this, they should 1) set a policy and get enough cops to enforce it. 2) make a registered group and put the spawn and talk perms in it. 3) put in a language filter and keep it up to date. Oh, and **** is NOT swearing - it is the filter doing its job.

ATD

PS BZFlaginator - I'm sure you meant your signature to read "Don't hate what you're bad at" - they're called contractions.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

a temporal distraction wrote: PS BZFlaginator - I'm sure you meant your signature to read "Don't hate what you're bad at" - they're called contractions.
Umm, you can't really end something with 'at' to begin with.
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

yep that is really annoying. there are also the TKers that ruin all the fun.for example on lasermania there were 2 TKers on the red team and there were no admins and to make it worse i couldnt run the /poll command :( i dont get why people have to do these kinds of things.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
carerra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by carerra »

Well its a pity im sorry.

And about the "contractions" thing. It's an inside joke. And yes, it is suppose to be "your" not "you're". And what does it matter. No one has perfect grammer. And It doesnt matter what it ends with if it's a quote or something of the sorts.

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

well I hate that kind of stuff too

just yesterday there was a guy on my server (yes I have a server [go figure!])

and he came on and spammed like 100 times before I could kick/ban him. he is banned for 1.5 days now :D if he comes back on and does that same thing again I will ban him like this
/ban 70.247.74.30 999999999999999999999999999999

that should do it (I hope) :slick: :lurk:

he would say this
I LOVE C**TS MMM GOOD JUICY C***S

he would spam that like 100 times quit and come back i find this un acceptable and if he comes back again and hasn't learned his lesson

well u know what will happen
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

if you set the time for '0' or 'max' he will be baned forever, or as long as your allowed to ban.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

k thx alot

I will do that next time he comes
carerra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by carerra »

hahaha. the power to ban. gimme the server name and ill drop in sometime.

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

123-winxp.dyndns.org

eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

why havent i seen these bad guys?!?!?!?!?! :lol-old: win i told you 2 times that 0 bans forever
~~~~~
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

ummm no you didn't eagle I wasn't there you told Ice Wewe

and you have just been lucky that you haven't seen them I see one almost every time I log onto a server it somethimes make me want to stop playing
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

harrasment is nothing to take personal. But if someone is ruining someone elses game experience, they should be warned...kicked...banned.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

whatever. i got kicked at sevomas server (dead now) once, purely for the fact that i went onto the GB right just after my teammate capped greens flag. i was surprised by the sudden amount of green tanks, and fired 3 shots into the crowd, killing 2 of 4 tanks, one of whom was the server owner.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

hmm that doesn't sound like sevoma (i don't think he would do that)

are you just kicked or are you banned I am a admin there so I can unban you if you are banned
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

Hannibal wrote:whatever. i got kicked at sevomas server (dead now) once, purely for the fact that i went onto the GB right just after my teammate capped greens flag. i was surprised by the sudden amount of green tanks, and fired 3 shots into the crowd, killing 2 of 4 tanks, one of whom was the server owner.
I don't think base camping, or any kind of camping, ruins the game experience.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I hate campers ,that is when they stay there the whole game

I don't mind people who are there for maybe 5-10 min
carerra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by carerra »

Yes campers are easy terminated by me. I think if you would like to learn to master "camper cilling" go to the GU servers and learn the basics. If you can play on GU, personally I think you can play anywhere. But thats just me... 8)

PrezKennedy
Private
Private

Post by PrezKennedy »

Trash talking is pretty much a part of every online game. You have to ignore it, because more than likely it won't ever go away. Personally, I'm amused by how angry some people get over a game. 8)
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

ya I can't stand people who get all bent out of shape over a fun game :shock: not like were at the olyimpics
(no not even at that bzflag olyimpics server) :?

I like the :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? expression latley
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

Never met a camper I couldn't wax in short order. It's the ones who spawn, shop for a gm, and camp the same spot repeatedly and do nothing else that make me whip out my +10 Club of Banning. Even then, I usually just wave it around. I've never actually banned for camping.
In one case, a certain noted individual at a certain noted server spent an hour and a half hunting me and me alone with a pair of wings. I call that harassment, because I went to that server to play a game with everyone, not spend the entire time dueling the one dude with a superflag.
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Proud member of the Mofo Cabal<br>
<br>
OK thats ENUTH OUTA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - smartkid
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

the only time I have duels is with "friends" with their permission of course

I think it would be cool to add a dueling option to the game but I will post that in a different secition
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

Win Xp
thats the whole point, i told you 2 times and u didnt hear it because u werent paying attention :slick:

QuantumBeep
lol +10 club of banning, yes i hate campers. i wish louman would make a non camping version on lasermania, you know square walls or somthing.

PrezKennedy
i personally dont like bad language, for examlple at win xp's and sevomas servers i warn...kick...then ban for bad language

Hannibal
i dont think that was sevoma... maybe it was this guy going around hacking ppls names, there was a thread about that somewhere. the guy was on sevoma's and win xp's server
~~~~~