People still play the old bzflag.

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

People still play the old bzflag.

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I went on the old bzflag 1.10.8 just to see what would happen, and there are still 2 full servers! it's like being stuck in a time warp. when i asked them why they hadn't upgraded to bzflag 2 yet, they diddn't reply. Hmmm...
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

a lot of ppl still play the old version. i play on the old knjiga at least 1/2 the time i spend on bzflag. i have upgraded, but i still play the old version. my reason is because that's the only place where ppl still play pillbox, besides silvercat. but silvercat only has it in rotation, so they're not playing it all the time.
I am a leaf on the wind.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

I just ran my old client. Wow it was like a time warp. I didn't think anyone would be on. When 2.1x becomes usable I think I might run a server for each version lol.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: People still play the old bzflag.

Post by Green Manalishi »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:I went on the old bzflag 1.10.8 just to see what would happen, and there are still 2 full servers! it's like being stuck in a time warp. when i asked them why they hadn't upgraded to bzflag 2 yet, they diddn't reply. Hmmm...
version 1.x? don't go there son!..bad things have happened there in the past..very bad things... those poor lost souls..if only they heeded the warning... Image

Post by Guest »

Soraya wrote:a lot of ppl still play the old version. i play on the old knjiga at least 1/2 the time i spend on bzflag. i have upgraded, but i still play the old version. my reason is because that's the only place where ppl still play pillbox, besides silvercat. but silvercat only has it in rotation, so they're not playing it all the time.
Lies! All lies!!!
There is a permenant silvercat pillbox server (without passing! w00t!), and others besides. :|
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

no one plays on the pillbox silvercat!! otherwise, i might stay there, but i have a couple friends who dont have 2.0 and just play on 1.10, so that's where i go.
I am a leaf on the wind.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Wonder why ppl still play it?

They have Pentium 2s. That will roll over and die on the newer versions.

They like the version, cause it was AWESOME! (well, compared to what we have now, it stinks...)

They've never heard of the newer version, and don't want to be bothered with anything but killing each other...

Those are just a few reasons...
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

I went on and asked, but unlike you I got replies.

2 of them:

"I dominate v 1.8"

"It came default with my linux OS, what are you talking about"
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Inferno wrote:I went on and asked, but unlike you I got replies.

2 of them:

"I dominate v 1.8"

"It came default with my linux OS, what are you talking about"
I think the only reason they dominate is because almost everyone else has moved to 2.0.x. Really? 1.10.x comes with linux distros? Mine came with 2.0.0.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there never was a version 1.8

most play on the old version because they do not like the new spawn code and wings.
ImageJeffM
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

JeffM2501 wrote:there never was a version 1.8

most play on the old version because they do not like the new spawn code and wings.
The spawn code prevents cheating, right?

And about wings, not every server uses them! Maybe someone could conivnce them that there are servers without wings.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

they play for there own reasons, leave them at that.

There is nothing wrong with them playing a version that works for them.
ImageJeffM
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim (the Planet Dagobah (im in exile!))

Post by MasterYoda »

ok ok ok. i have fun there myself....i need to become better at pillbox, so i play with some really good ppl there! (soraya, MDKVIII, some guys from Team 6 (ppl that host knjiga))

its real fun!!!!

what Brooks said, a member of Team 6, told me was that he liked the pillbox style way too much. since the 2.0 one is never up unless someone starts it (ppl still dont go on it if i start it :cry: ), they have fun there, where everyone plays. I play there myself: I love trying pillbox style.

so if you wanna play there, play there. lots of good pillbox players are there for a challenge! ( i get beat myself :D ) anyways, i rest my case.

PILLBOX IS FUN, let those who wanna play there play.

oh yes, he also didnt like the jumping, and rico. he likes flat out shooting.
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-The One and Only MasterYoda

On Ducati, GU, and Open League: Team Untamed
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

My distro (FC3) came with some ancient 1.x version. It quite confused me when I put the latest version on a different computer without it, as I didn't know about the version incompatabilities. It was quite irritating, until I learned about CVS and got my problem solved.

The only reason that people use 1.x is because they are too lazy to upgrade, which is rather strange because it is very easy to do so.
On my PII, 2.0.x and 1.x run at about the same speed.
If all the people that were playing pillbox on 1.x moved to 2.0.x, then the silvercat pillbox would become very popular.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

TD-Linux wrote:The only reason that people use 1.x is because they are too lazy to upgrade
Not quite - as stated above there are many reasons why people are still play the Realy Realy Old 1.10.8 version, I like it because that's where some of they players I like to play with are (at pieinthesky). They play on the old version because there's no reason to upgrade - most of them have the new version and still go back. When I push them to try the new stuff and some new servers, I get complaints about responsiveness and feel of the game being different. Some of that might be their old hardware, but why should they spend money to play a free game? - especially when it still works fine with the old software.
Bozo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bozo »

The only reason that people use 1.x is because they are too lazy to upgrade

That is a rather presumptuous statement, obviously made from ignorance. People play the old versions for several reasons which have already been stated. I have spent *hours* trying to get the 2.0.x versions to allow me to play; on my linux partition, they won't let me hook up to any servers with flags, which really limits your choices. I have installed and uninstalled all the 2.0.x versions several times, along with updating drivers, etc. On my windoze partition, 2.0.2 runs ok, but 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 cause frequent lock-ups and crashes. You can see I've not been "too lazy" to upgrade; too incompetent maybe, but not too lazy. Don't judge people's motives without any knowledge of their situation.

If nothing else, playing the old versions makes you appreciate the work that the devs have done in improving the game. Thanks, devs :)
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

MasterYoda wrote:PILLBOX IS FUN
i quite agree. there's maybe one active pillbox server on the new version, but its on a rotation and it's only up for an hr or so. so i'll play on the rotation when its on, but after that, i'll go to the old version and play there. cuz its very very rare that the pillbox server there is empty.
I am a leaf on the wind.
Dumb_Mut
Private
Private

Post by Dumb_Mut »

I started playing on 1.10.8 pillbox, and love the community and the map there. The amazing thing is that I still see tons of new faces there regularly. Its a great place for beginners, there arent many better places to start your bzflag carreer. It has a smaller learning curve than Ducati and builds alot of essential dodging skills, in my opinion, better than any jumping/superflag servers. I'd love to see a place like that on 2.x, but there really isn't an inbetween server, just ducati/jumping. I still love to play on knjiga regularly, its nice when the vets hang around, been seeing the same people since the beginning of my bzcarreer. It'd be tough to get the whole community to migrate.

eep, coulda swarn I logged in as hiya, just made this name while unable to play at college, but i like it :).
Last edited by Dumb_Mut on Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tturbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

it's strange

Post by Tturbo »

Why would people play to the old BZ Flag 1.10.8, when we have a 2.0.4 version, i'm asking you. :?:

Right now (november 1) theres 7 players on the old version, perhaps because its 11 pm, but its really strange. :shock:
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Actually, When 2.0.0 was released, there were a lot of bugs, it was rather unstable, new graphics, new features, etc etc...

People didn't appreciate the new version. The felt that it ruined bzflag as they knew it, and were reluctant to change.

I know because I was one of them. Fortunately, I was also part of all the beta testing that the devs made public for us to give feedback. I was able to talk to some devs and ask them to keep some of the old functions.

While I was reluctant to change, I still did, once I adapted to the new revisions, flags, and other various mods. 2.0.0 was IMO one of the biggest bz-breakthroughs. First of all it was the first "major" numbering change. Moving from the 1.XX branch... I believe it also had one of the biggest change logs...

Some people still haven't gotten over it, close to a year later. But I think they will change. Just let them be.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Nicolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Nicolas »

I have this game cause i use mandrakelinux,
but its a very old version,i saw the new screenshots :book:
ant they are very different from my version of the game.
(I am new to this forum,but i like playng bzflag and i played it about 4 months before
being registred here. :D
Great Mage Nicolas

Is also the player GranKnight.
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

The Red Baron wrote:Some people still haven't gotten over it, close to a year later. But I think they will change. Just let them be.
i'm living in the middle. :D i play 2.x and 1.10, yay for both!! ;)
I am a leaf on the wind.
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim (the Planet Dagobah (im in exile!))

Post by MasterYoda »

Soraya wrote: i'm living in the middle. :D i play 2.x and 1.10, yay for both!! ;)
i totally agree. Me and soraya always are on both, kinda funny cuz when i switch and find a pillbox on 2.0, she will probably be there in the next 10 minutes. :lol-old:

i love pillbox, u make good friends (i.e i met soraya, we are good friends on there now)

oh yes, like i've said lots of times. pillbox style is fun, no matter which one you are on. 1.10 and 2.0 pillbox are the same. who cares about graphics...i love to just straight out play.
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-The One and Only MasterYoda

On Ducati, GU, and Open League: Team Untamed
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

MasterYoda wrote:
Soraya wrote: i'm living in the middle. :D i play 2.x and 1.10, yay for both!! ;)
i totally agree. Me and soraya always are on both, kinda funny cuz when i switch and find a pillbox on 2.0, she will probably be there in the next 10 minutes. :lol-old:

i love pillbox, u make good friends (i.e i met soraya, we are good friends on there now)

oh yes, like i've said lots of times. pillbox style is fun, no matter which one you are on. 1.10 and 2.0 pillbox are the same. who cares about graphics...i love to just straight out play.
i love seeing stuff like this. i had no idea 2 years ago that an unknown map i found would become so popular on a then unknown server. during the heydeys of hepcat pillbox on 1.x i couldnt stop playing bzflag :)

--cosmos
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

i remember when pillbox was this big thing and everyone loved it. now, ppl are switching to flag/jump/rico servers or dub... eeeewwww! ;)
I am a leaf on the wind.