People still play the old bzflag.

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

Soraya wrote:i remember when pillbox was this big thing and everyone loved it. now, ppl are switching to flag/jump/rico servers or dub... eeeewwww! ;)
thats cause ricos are fun, and since its quiete rare to fin d a no- rico server, its better practice to go to dub and stuff to get better, if all u play is pillbox, u will suck at rico and jumping servers.
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Brennen The Great wrote:
Soraya wrote:i remember when pillbox was this big thing and everyone loved it. now, ppl are switching to flag/jump/rico servers or dub... eeeewwww! ;)
thats cause ricos are fun, and since its quiete rare to fin d a no- rico server, its better practice to go to dub and stuff to get better, if all u play is pillbox, u will suck at rico and jumping servers.
now I have to address that, because all the pillbox-happy people will be jumping down your throat at such "Sacrilege"

If you only play pillbox, you will suck at rico, and be an easy target for rico. Thats the truth of pillbox. However, You will not suck at jumping, persay. You will do just fine, because you are not used to jumping, and therefore will not use it as evasive action or dodging. However, You will have to learn how to time your shots to hit the jumper, And you will have difficulty jumping after some one and hitting them on their landing.

But if you know how to time your shots, you'll do just fine in not jumping, and hitting the jumper.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim (the Planet Dagobah (im in exile!))

Post by MasterYoda »

The Red Baron wrote:
Brennen The Great wrote:
now I have to address that, because all the pillbox-happy people will be jumping down your throat at such "Sacrilege"

If you only play pillbox, you will suck at rico, and be an easy target for rico. Thats the truth of pillbox. However, You will not suck at jumping, persay. You will do just fine, because you are not used to jumping, and therefore will not use it as evasive action or dodging. However, You will have to learn how to time your shots to hit the jumper, And you will have difficulty jumping after some one and hitting them on their landing.

But if you know how to time your shots, you'll do just fine in not jumping, and hitting the jumper.
That's a good point. since i play pillbox, i try to not jump when i go to jumping servers, unless i kno im gonna land on a building. i do what TRB said, shoot the jumper.

if u play pillbox and GU, u kno they are both 3 shot, CTF. the only difference is jumping (and rico). u kno how to dodge 3 bullets, so dodge them w/o jumping, then kill the guy. For rico...well......practice on 1v1(ducati too). thats the best spot for practice on rico and killing someone with it (or practicing dodging it)
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-The One and Only MasterYoda

On Ducati, GU, and Open League: Team Untamed
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

Brennen The Great wrote: if all u play is pillbox, u will suck at rico and jumping servers.
The Red Baron wrote:now I have to address that, because all the pillbox-happy people will be jumping down your throat at such "Sacrilege"
quite right you are... ;)

i didn't find pillbox until at least a yr into playing bz. i used to play ffa like mad. i wasn't very good, but i still played it. then i found pillbox and got great at that. then i tried dub, and got pretty good. i'm not a big fan of rico/jumping/flags, but i do know how to play with them. i'm still a pretty big target for rico, but im not so bad.

mostly all i play now is pillbox, but i dont suck at rico/jumping/flag servers.
I am a leaf on the wind.
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

Soraya wrote:i remember when pillbox was this big thing and everyone loved it.
aaaah those were great times (*starts getting nostalgic*)
it didn't matter when i logged on, there were always more than 8 players on. great battles were fought, i met alot of people, when it was xmas silverfox added trees to the map, ...
oh yeah, im talking about hepcat pillbox, about 1 year ago
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

hehe i remember seeing you there a lot glass. :) and i remember how you kept killin me. :D and how i said 'grrrr' to you and we were friends. lol (*gets nostalgic right along w/ glass*)
I am a leaf on the wind.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I checked out 1.10.0 today, and there were at least 30 players populating 14 servers. I found it strange that they said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean they were all like little hermits or something.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

Green Manalishi wrote:version 1.x? don't go there son!..bad things have happened there in the past..very bad things... those poor lost souls..if only they heeded the warning... Image
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MasterYoda »

Green Manalishi wrote:
Green Manalishi wrote:version 1.x? don't go there son!..bad things have happened there in the past..very bad things... those poor lost souls..if only they heeded the warning... Image
lost souls????? hahahhaha, yes some ppl did lose their souls and have to stay in version 1.x. but i haven't lost my soul yet and play on version 1.10 just as much as 2.0 (unless there are matches :D !!!!)

Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

RPG wrote:I checked out 1.10.0 today, and there were at least 30 players populating 14 servers. I found it strange that they said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean they were all like little hermits or something.
lol

tis tru

i used to still play on the older v1.7 back when v1.10/v1.12 was all the rage .

..very odd crowd of peeps . not social at all . average players mostly . it's weird . almost like their own lil clique of bot-like players lol
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

pillbox was the first map i ever plyed on. i was so bad, i had like -43 points.

my old favourite server back in old bzflag was the mmmad 2 catsles server, which was like viper.pimpi, but is had faster tanks and shots. it was complete devastation. but then one day it just dissappeard *sigh*
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

MasterYoda wrote:lost souls????? hahahhaha, yes some ppl did lose their souls and have to stay in version 1.x. but i haven't lost my soul yet and play on version 1.10 just as much as 2.0 (unless there are matches :D !!!!)
a bz elder appeared in my dream tonight and told me there is no danger if you play 2.x along with 1.x. once you have downloaded 2.x and tried it out you have broken the curse. :|
MasterYoda
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MasterYoda »

lol green man (see above)
RC cola wrote:
RPG wrote:I checked out 1.10.0 today, and there were at least 30 players populating 14 servers. I found it strange that they said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean they were all like little hermits or something.
lol

tis tru

i used to still play on the older v1.7 back when v1.10/v1.12 was all the rage .

..very odd crowd of peeps . not social at all . average players mostly . it's weird . almost like their own lil clique of bot-like players lol
actually RC, some of the ppl that kill everyone on those servers talk sometimes. they talk a lot to friendly other talkers. for instance me soraya and MDKVIII talk when no one else talks. yes some of those ppl are weird.

as green man said, they lost their souls

Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Wow, I don't know what time of day all you pillbox players find nobody playing it on version 2.0.x but it seems like that's all I've played lately. Mostly matches of some sort, but pillbox certainly isn't dead in version 2. Oft times, if you catch the end of the pillbox rotation of silvercat 5154, a number of players will head over to 5155 and keep right on playing.
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

Longhair wrote:Oft times, if you catch the end of the pillbox rotation of silvercat 5154, a number of players will head over to 5155 and keep right on playing.
well that certainly has never happened in my time-zone ;)

and about the 1.10 players not talking, i also noticed that:

most of them are newbs who dont know how to talk or dont even speak english (and those players dont know about the existence of 2.0)
when i start talking in public about 2.0 most of them are like "??? wtf??"

but its good 1.10 is still populated, whenever i cant get rid of negative scores on 2.0, i just go to 1.10 and start killing everyone :p
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

lol you? negative?? :shock: haha, yeah right. :lol:
I am a leaf on the wind.
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

1.x had its uses

Post by SilentSwan »

Actually, for quite a while after 2.x came out, I continued playing 1.x simply because I couldn't find any servers that did NOT have the infamous wings. After a while this changed, and I finally put 1.x to rest.

<shameless_plug>However, those who, like me, despise wings, can find a nice no-wings server at shattered.bzflag.bz:2982 </shameless_plug>

*grin*
Arno
Private
Private

Hi

Post by Arno »

I play too sometimes bzflag 1.10.8 but i have 2.0.4 too :D :D :D :D :D :D
wawaneesa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wawaneesa »

I went on the old bzflag 1.10.8 just to see what would happen, and there are still 2 full servers! it's like being stuck in a time warp. when i asked them why they hadn't upgraded to bzflag 2 yet, they diddn't reply. Hmmm...
The old Bz Flag versions are the easiest to play with,and surely the less lagging versions :) :

1) They dont crush neither lagg too much (unless the PC really s**ks).

2) If they aren't really good with the WG flags, and the Gravity shots, they can always go in past versions, to play as we all did once :)

3) I dont think it's an obligation to play on newest versions, because many of them are new, and the old maps were good as well... Maybe sometimes better than nowdays....

I must admit that I still play somtimes on 1.8, because i am an admin in most servers (except the hapcats and some others...)
Friends of many BZ admins :)
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Classic games never die.

Post by The Vet »

:wink:
I sometimes play it because my computer can handle the simpler graphics better; hence I get improved game performance. Also, there are no wingers :lol-old:
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 »

well i still admin and play on besslers world now and then
(once per week)...

on a good day there can be about 40 players
on 2-4 servers...

there has been 2 new servers recently believe it or not...

number of reasons...there maybe more...
wings
nostalgia
map simplicity
noobs(no offense) and noob killers
people who love to try to cheat

someone finds bzflag 1.10 on someones webpage
and doesnt ever check for a new version(rare) i met
2 of them...of course when they heard of the new version
they left forever... :)

there are a number of veterans(2 year players or higher)
that play quite often...

my reasons:
nostalgia
wings

with wings it was tooo easy to kill people and be killed...
example: some days it was quite common for me to go
30-0 or 40-0 before being killed, 1 time i went to 51-0...
esp. when they allow bullet drift...and maps that have
alot of objects to land on...
wizard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wizard »

I love the plain pillbox.
Got to idle a little in the server to keep in high in the first two pages of the server list.
Give some time the switch from the old to the new should happen.
And pillbox has bread some good ducati players. We will see.
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

wizard wrote: And pillbox has bread some good ducati players.
and vice versa
I am a leaf on the wind.
Shadowpillar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Shadowpillar »

Ice Wewe wrote:Wonder why ppl still play it?

They have Pentium 2s. That will roll over and die on the newer versions.

They like the version, cause it was AWESOME! (well, compared to what we have now, it stinks...)

They've never heard of the newer version, and don't want to be bothered with anything but killing each other...

Those are just a few reasons...

*coughs* I still have a pII. actually downgraded from a 433 mhz celeron to get better performance with a 400 mhz PII.
I can play the new version fine. Thanks to a PCI geforce 4 mx4000 ;)
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

you think 1.10.8 is old?

Post by strayer »

It's funny that you think 1.10.8 is an old BZFlag version. There are days when I find players on the last 1.07e server (it's Tim Riker's server) :D

Actually, there are 149 servers online, 16 of them are 1.10.x's and 1 is a 1.07e server.
It's like in economy...a question of supply and demand. If there were more 1.07 servers, would more ppl play there? ...maybe the players who like simpleness? (no question...1.10.x was a real improvement..hehe)

btw...the newer the BZFlag version, the more time do I need to configure the client settings > are players on older versions just a little lazy? :wink:
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)