Personal network server?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
comicfan
Private
Private

Personal network server?

Post by comicfan »

Hi, i'm new here, a father of 3 and new to online, network, gaming. I know how to set up the server on BF2 for 5154, what I was wondering was, how do I set it up so that just my son and I can game? I have Winxp pro as does my son, and we are networked, and run through a Linksys router. I have configured other games that simply went by ip and password but I wasn't sure on this one. I have read other info already but when you are new to something, well it gets more confusing. If someone can give me a quick debriefing on if I need to set server, 5154 ? Does this create a public server? Or do I have to go to command mode and create a private one? Thank you for any help.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

You can configure your server with a file called bzfs_config.html (I think that is what it is called,) it can be found here: "~\BZFlag\misc\bzfs_config.html". That will configure your server, and as for running it, ask Win Xp, I don't do the evil empire (aka Windows)
comicfan
Private
Private

Thanks

Post by comicfan »

Thanks for the reply, I have the 32 bit version for the evil empire so it's pretty much automatic. Like I mentioned , I can set up the server for the default 5154 but I wasn't sure if this makes it public or if a password will keep it between my son and I's computers. So in that respect, I really don't need to configure the file, it's automatically selected for the server. BTW, I am also a Linux\Unix user. Unfortunataly I still need Win doze for some things. I am an upcoming network admin and pc technician so I need to know all OS's. Maybe Linux Skywalker will take down Gates Vader and the evil empire some day huh? :evil:
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

comicfan
If you comment out "-public" and "-publicaddr" with a pound sign (#) (or not use them) it will not be public. Setting a password has nothing to do whether or not it is public. It's only usefullness in a private server is using /set to change game variables.

Just starting bzfs like this:

Code: Select all

bzfs -world /parh/to/world.bzw -password mypass
will make it private. Then join on the other computer by using it's LAN IP. Make sure you open 5154 tcp and udp on your PC. (not on your router or someone could join if they know your IP address)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

From my experience, the port can be just about anything (I usualy set it to something in the 4000s)

And, like A Metorite said, make sure your firewall (if present) will take the port 5154 (or whatever you set it to) and UDP and not block it.

The configuration file itself, if you feel brave, is usualy in data directory. So if BZFLAG is installed at C:/Program Files/BZFlag2.0.4 the configuration file (bzfs.conf) would be at C:/Program Files/BZFlag2.0.4/data/bzfs.conf

Note that the directory will change depending on your setup, version, and configuration

It's just a plaintext file, use Notepad or Wordpad to edit it, or your favorite word processor (BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS TEXT ONLY). Make a backup copy of it before editing it. Some of the configuration file is self-explainatory, some isn't. To use your configuration file (i'll assume you copied and edited the file to the main bzflag directory, and not the data directory, IE the same directory as bzflag.exe, bzfs.exe, ect.)

Type in the command prompt (look in accessories), after every line press enter

cd C:\Path\To\Bzflag 
bzfs -conf bzflag.conf
As I said, this assumes that you copied bzfs.conf into the main bzflag directory and renamed it to bzflag.conf

I would make a shortcut that has this built into it. Right click on bzfs.exe, click 'create shortcut'. Right click the shortcut, and it change the target from

C:/Program Files/BZFlag2.0.4/bzfs.exe
to

C:/Program Files/BZFlag2.0.4/bzfs.exe -conf bzflag.conf
This will always use the configuration file you specifiy. To edit your configuration edit the copy, not the origional

Sorry if that is a bit lengthy or if you already know most of this, I am just rattling off stuff I know
comicfan
Private
Private

Thanks to all.

Post by comicfan »

Well, for some reason it won't accept the code so all I did was ran the server and then my ip as a server. I tested to see if my son could connect without the password even knowing my ip, and he couldn't so that is basically all I did. I wouldn't mind running public server but i don't have the resources. It slowed my pc down a bit when we get in battle as it is. Also I limited it to two players. I am starting to like this type of gaming. I have always been a PS2, nintendo 1-64, xbox, pc gamer but not over the internet. This is pretty cool. I think i'll upgrade a bit, get a graphics card and then get more people, what the heck? Thanks again, appreciate the help. Paul
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

If you're behind a router, not forwarding port 5154 will keep anyone from getting on your server. They will get to your router, but not your computer because you wouldn't have the connection setup.

Remember to use your local network ip address (not the public ip)for your son to connect to. It should be something like 192.168.1.* Sometimes the NetBIOS name of the computer works, depending on your setup.[/u]
Half Track
Private First Class
Private First Class

set up for network play

Post by Half Track »

In the conf.txt file for your game leave out/comment out the ip address line.
Also the same for port and public address.

On the machine where you want to run the server go to start then run, type in cmd.exe.

When the command prompt (dos looking) window comes up type in ipconfig

This will give you the ip address for the machine with the server, (something like 10.0.0.9) write it down.

Start your server running on the machine and then on the remote computer start bzflag and go to the join game screen. In the Server option, type in the ip address of the machine where your server is running and make sure the port is the default 5154. You wil then be connected.

You can connect to the game from the computer where the server is running by starting bzflag and in the join game section type in localhost as the server address.

I hope this helps.
If you get problems then get back to me and I can break it down for you.

HT