Depends
30%

Total votes: 91

Tturbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

It's depend!

Post by Tturbo »

We can't say that BZ Flag is not violent, we're playing with tanks, and the game is to make points by killing other players, so from this type of view, the game is violent; killing, smashing... :twisted:
But it depend, when you're playing a "Capture-the-flag", if you want to play cool, you just capture the flag; try to survive by dodging in instead of shooting evrything that move! :wink:

We can conclued on the strageness of the game. Because we always reborn, and we have a lot of amelioreation that are not real. :)

But the results of the vote are teling "No", by 35 players, and I really want to know why? :?:
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

I have nothing good to say about Attorney Jack Thompson, so I wont say anything. Other than:

"I, as a person, a teen male, who is most prone to violence, can safely say, that after 2 years of playing BZFlag, I've not punched someone in the face... yet."
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

I think that BZFlag is like fencing. Not really violent, but has a violent root. I fence and I do not have any urges to kill people...

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

you guys can't take responsibility for your own actions? instead have to blame it on harmless video games.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I chose depends for 4 reasons:

1, I can see that if you are one of those peple that purposely team kill *cough rushincrew123456789 cough* then you may end up seeing the game as a violent outburst or somewhere to expel your issues. also if you are a young kid (3-6 yrs) then you may not fully understand the diffference between grand theft auto (which I can proudly say I have never played) and shooting someone in bzflag.

2. BzFlag is not a violent game because if you accidentally kill someone you can say sorry also there is no blood and none of that crap.

3. I know many people that play this game and well they just plsy it has had no effect on their personality.

4. Bzflag wil be treated for a mostly non violent game for me too also because it is very unrealistic in almost all aspects (ie: jumping tanks)

~ Win (Xp)
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Was it so long ago that the people that now want to ban video games had their parents trying to keep them away from the "violence" of Rock and Roll? Games don't make people violent. PEOPLE make people violent. The worst BZFlag can evoke is the intense urge to throw green spheres at people...
Pwnz@Secretplace
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

...and the urge to throw my keyboard through my window, rattle off a few words that would pale a marine, vow never to play bzflag again, and get back on in 10 minuets. I HATE it when the bullet passes to the side and still kills you.

But I personaly think that bzflag is not violent (compared to Halo), to me violent is killing living beings, (human or other). I don't like games (besides halo) where you kill things that remotely look like humans (or dogs, or cats, or antelopes...) As for Grant Theft Auto...lets just say the last time I played it was when I went to my friends house, and I haven't been over since. I hate that game.
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

What really makes me sad is to see that the right-wingers and christian fundamentalists and other assorted fascist pigs are able to have so much influence on what people believe.

It makes me even sadder to see that people are so stupid on average as to not understand that video games, music, movies, whatever have at most, very little effect on the behaviour of society. There are underlying causes: the way we learn to interact with people from an early age, the way we learn that we should fear everything and everyone. Our whole collective mentality is based on fear - typically fear of things we don't understand.

Perhaps the most significant and tangible effect of "violent video games and movies and loud music, etc..." is that the people who partake of these indulgences are not out interacting with people directly on a personal level.

But leave it to the ignorant masses to attack the symptoms yet ignore the disease completely.
Jo-W
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jo-W »

I believe TV has a much bigger impact on "violence"
People are burning cars in my country because they are copycatting the riots in france as seen on TV
I Carry ThA BiG GuN

Owner@localhost
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

Jo-W wrote:I believe TV has a much bigger impact on "violence"
People are burning cars in my country because they are copycatting the riots in france as seen on TV
But WHY????

i ask you, why don't you ask the question WHY? Do you really think it's just because "they see it on TV"???

What is the underlying cause?
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 »

RexFlex wrote:I voted yes to this on a technicality.

The technicality is that all games are inherantly violent in one way or another. I remember reading about where a man wouldn't let his son play any violent games, which in his definition included any form of competition. In the end, his son was stuck with one game - Tetris. Even there an argument could be made that it is violent. :?

As for banning violent games? Well, games such as BZflag would be hard to ban given that it is a free and freely available online game that knows no country borders. And an international ban is just not going to happen.
oh dont kid yourself....gov'ts can do nasty things to people
no matter where or who you are...
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 »

i voted yes...but its not gory violence there no blood on the screen
or screams of dying poeple or body parts flying everywhere..

but i am suprised at the amount of NO's....LOL
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Jo-W wrote:I believe TV has a much bigger impact on "violence"
I saw it on TV and didn't go and burn cars, so obviously it isn't entirely because it was seen on TV.

Are you in Korea?
Pwnz@Secretplace
The Falcon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Falcon »

BZFlag is not very violant, probably becuese you don't see the people actually dying, it are just remote controlled tanks (they are!)

in my house most violant things are banned, and this isn't, since its not violant at all...

and there is another thing, BZFlag is an private property, actually, it is not from the USA or any other country, it is a world wide game on the internet and one country cannot ban the entire world from using it, and it doesnt fall under any country's law.
The only reason your still alive is that I am to busy laughing at you to shoot you!
Jo-W
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jo-W »

I said "bigger" not "big" :D
The underlying cause is that everyone is bored
I Carry ThA BiG GuN

Owner@localhost
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

no it is not that they are bored, they all riot because they think it is ok.

this is caused by "brain washing" for say by the media and othere influences in that person's life for example

person 1 was raised very well and taught that violence isn't very good if he sees a violent game (grand theft) and he knows it is just a game

person 2 was not raised well and he has not been taught violenace is bad, he sees the violent game and thinks it is "ok" to do that kinda thing

but the media also has a massive influence on us and our actions
Jo-W
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jo-W »

being bored is the cause in my country (I wasent talking bout the riots), heck they are even making a movie about this (being bored and vandalism). But they only burnt 3 cars....
I Carry ThA BiG GuN

Owner@localhost
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

i think this game isnt violent. its more a strategic game. if you play to this game its more for the fun of using strategy than just to shoot on tanks and see them exploding.
The S
the obvious trap
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the obvious trap »

i hate these people who do nothing but complain about what they think is wrong
if he doesnt like video games, it shouldnt mean that violent ones should be banned
this guy makes me madder than dr phil