HTF (hold the flag)

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

HTF (hold the flag)

Post by ^nightmare^ »

A plugin that i dont know what it does or supposed to do :| Can someone please explian it?
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

If I told you, I'd have to kill ya. ;)

Its a plugin that make the "Hold The Flag" game mode-concept a reality.
...This has been a recording.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The object of hold the flag is to ...
Now follow me on this...
Hold the Flag... :D

This has been used at Planet Mo-Fo I think, but it has seen limited success. Everyone is the same color and it really turns into a TK fest without player education. I think in thoery you are supposed to get a point if you capture the flag. So how it should technically work out is: a sacrificial lamb carries the flag up to the base, with everyone jockeying for position. As the lamb gets ready to jump on the base all heck breaks loose. The one that can grab the flag and get on the base gets the point.

lather... rinse... repeat...

Please correct me if I am wrong, because I have never participated in a HTF successfully. Search for HTF on the forum and you will see a few posts on it. I have only read about it...

I have also heard that HTF is being toyed with as a supported game mode in the 2.1.x development thread, but I have no confirmation on that (to lazy to look if the rumor is correct).
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Yes, this is in "rotation" at Planet MoFo.

The regular score, as depicted by the normal "score board" does not apply in this mode of play. Nope. In HTF games, that score is inaccurate and is not correct as the HTF plugin and mode of play still needs a bit of work.

The goal of HTF is to be the one who captures your team's flag. Where they get the "hold" part of "hold the flag" is beyond me. Think of it as a figure of speech. When a flag is capped, a special HTF scoreboard notes the point and you can see it in the same area chat and server messages are displayed in.

The added fun @ Planet MoFo is I have two team flags in play, meaning more chase and more is at stake. There is talk to make it three or more team flags, while the use of only one team flag is on the table as well. Feedback is welcome...

A good "strategy" for HTF is to let someone else do a majority of the carrying across the map, then, right as that player goes to cap the flag for a point, kill that player, take the flag & cap it for yourself...

I almost had Soraya beat until brad2901 came along and destroyed us both.

But yeah, to the untrained noob, this can be very confusing. I use the red team for my HTF games (everyone COULD be blue, if I specified it) but you got to think of everyone as Rogues.
...This has been a recording.
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

http://HTFLeague.com

should explain whats needed :) but dont feel bad donny, i cant seem to access the servers for htf league matches
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

The point of the plugin is to keep track of the score, since the usual scoring system is pretty much useless in the HTF style game.

Check out:

http://www.htfleague.com

for more information. And visit the forums for discussion of all things HTF.

There is also a league based on this play which myself, Master Yoda and pyr0 run.
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

wow, cool. But i would have guessed hold the flag would be a bunch of random tanks with a gold flag (or whatever) and who ever holds it the longest wins.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

I have a HTF map going at bzflag.norang.ca port:5158, but i need to know how to make it to where you dont die when you TK.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

From a conf file I use:
# By default if a player kills a teammate, he dies too, this option turns this
# off. Used mostly for capture the flag style games.

-tk
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Thanks!
Its awsome! Mostly Harmless! got like -202, but then his internet went out. All i know is this score wont look good on the bzflag stats page :|
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

^nightmare^ wrote:wow, cool. But i would have guessed hold the flag would be a bunch of random tanks with a gold flag (or whatever) and who ever holds it the longest wins.

that's how it was (except the "gold" flag was the team flag instead) in the beginning . before the BunnyHunt gamestyle was coded , that is how we played it a long time ago . with every1 on the same team , the object of the game was to hold the team flag for as long as you can before you got killed and had your flag stolen . whoever had the flag was then the "bunny" , and every1 else hunted you .

when BunnyHunt was finally coded , HTF (for Hold-The-Flag , as it was then dubbed) switched to capturing the flag instead of just holding onto it ..

the gamestyle changed alil , but the name stayed ..

and the rest is bz history ;)
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Matt? »

i think that this pluggin needs some major help. i think that it schould make it so the points for tk dont count you down and dont play that annoying tk sound. maybe in the future it can just be included in to the bzflag game, just a thaught
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

I think that once bz_eZoneEntryEvent bz_eZoneExitEvent are implemented in the API, I could make a hold-the-flag plugin that uses real rogues and scores correctly.

The current one has issues because of limitations in the API. The issue regarding modified player scores has recently been resolved, or so it seems, but with the two event hadlers I mentioned, it could be much cleaner.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.