Serious crash on Mac OS X, BZFlag 2.0.4

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Serious crash on Mac OS X, BZFlag 2.0.4

Post by Swordfish »

When I play BZFlag online my Mac suddenly freezes after a few minutes and I have to hard restart. I tried a few diffrent servers, and the crash happens every time after a few minutes of play...

Of course my bzflag.crash.log doesn't get written because I have to hard restart :roll:

I tried to delete the prefs (~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag) but no luck.

Any ideas?

System: eMac 1.4Ghz (overclocked from 1GHz), 768MB RAM, 32MB VRAM (could the overclock be creating this problem?)
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

did you compile it or just download the installer? a bad compile could do it...but im no expert.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

downloaded the disc image (i.e. 'official' download)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I would try resetting your CPU back to 1Ghz... (I never knew Macs could overclock :roll:)

BTW, what version of Mac OS X do you have?
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

A Meteorite wrote:BTW, what version of Mac OS X do you have?
:oops: should of posted that: Mac OS 10.4.3
A Meteorite wrote:I would try resetting your CPU back to 1Ghz... (I never knew Macs could overclock :roll:)
I hope there is a better solution because opening an eMac is a hell of a job... did it once, no sure I want to do it again lol.
FYI, you can only overclock G4s and lower... never heard of any G5 being overclocked.

BTW I tried BZFlag 1.10.8 and no freezes.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Hmmm... your OS is up to date. Try moving your whole data folder to your Desktop, BZFlag will make a shiny new one on start-up:

Code: Select all

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/BZFlag
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

that's what I said in my first post... I deleted this folder

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag)
(should have specified it was the whole folder :? )
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i have just started experiencing a problem on my iBook G4 1.33 GHz. My laptop just turns off for no reason (it's not the battery because the power was plugged in). It has only ever happened while playing bzflag for a long time.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

Ok I have no idea what I did but the freezing stopped for now... I'll post here if it starts happening again.
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

Started randomly freezing again. I have no idea what's the problem but it's annoying as hell.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:i have just started experiencing a problem on my iBook G4 1.33 GHz. My laptop just turns off for no reason (it's not the battery because the power was plugged in). It has only ever happened while playing bzflag for a long time.

I've had a problem with my old G3 iBook where it would suffer a power failure even though the battery was firmly in its socket. I think it's a bad connection with the battery.
Swordfish wrote: When I play BZFlag online my Mac suddenly freezes after a few minutes and I have to hard restart. I tried a few diffrent servers, and the crash happens every time after a few minutes of play...

Of course my bzflag.crash.log doesn't get written because I have to hard restart Rolling Eyes

I tried to delete the prefs (~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag) but no luck.

Any ideas?

System: eMac 1.4Ghz (overclocked from 1GHz), 768MB RAM, 32MB VRAM (could the overclock be creating this problem?)

Don't OC. Your CPU is most likely overheating and thus using its useful thermal limit to kill power, don't OC and play BZFlag, bad combo. Same feature is built into intel P4s (maybe P3) and new AMD CPUs. Mac's have this too, if they didn't you'd have fried eMac. :(
Swordfish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Swordfish »

Ice Wewe wrote:Don't OC. Your CPU is most likely overheating and thus using its useful thermal limit to kill power, don't OC and play BZFlag, bad combo. Same feature is built into intel P4s (maybe P3) and new AMD CPUs. Mac's have this too, if they didn't you'd have fried eMac. :(
thanks for the reply. the problem seems to be the OC since no one else is having it :( . but I play other processor intensive games (America's Army, X-Plane 8 ), encode movies (take 100% of the processor for 10-30 minutes), and I never get anything similar to my bzflag problem.

And, is it possible to limit the CPU power BZFlag takes (put a speed cap) so my G4 doesn't overheat?