People still play the old bzflag.

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Thanks for the tip about 1.07! I downloaded it and it works find (nearly). But I didn't see any of these "players" that you mention.

That single server is hosted at "upgrade-your-client-at.bzflag.org" - heh
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

It's funny that you think 1.10.8 is an old BZFlag version. There are days when I find players on the last 1.07e server (it's Tim Riker's server)
Thanks for the tip about 1.07! I downloaded it and it works find (nearly). But I didn't see any of these "players" that you mention.
yepp...in fact it's seldom that you find players there and I just wanted to say that it can happen from time to time...so, it's not well visited
...sry for this misunderstanding, but now you can see the improvements the devs made over the last few years..it wasn't a total loss then :wink:
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

No misunderstanding - I guess I forgot my kidding/sarcasm smiley :)

Actually a guy DID show up just now. He said that this was the first time he played it, and didn't know about other versions. He found it at some other website and I sent him here.

One thing I did find out, the tanks used to have running lights, like a boat or plane! So you could tell the direction they were facing from a distance. Some things were better back then! :D
Attachments
running-lights.png
running-lights.png (21.32 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

heh, didn't know that....

but the tanks now still have lights on top, i think... unless that was thrown away w/ 2.0... i know 1.10 still had them
I am a leaf on the wind.
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

I remember somtimes the tank graphic or the turret graphic wouldn't show up so my only target was the floating lights. :D
Pwnz@Secretplace
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

whoa, sounds like they are needed as at least an option again. they really would help.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

cookiecutter wrote:I remember somtimes the tank graphic or the turret graphic wouldn't show up so my only target was the floating lights. :D
oh god, yeah, i remember that... i've also had both red and grn tanks that have red bullets or both of them having green bullets. its so odd. specially if you're on the team whose bullet color is changed.
I am a leaf on the wind.
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Hannibal wrote:whoa, sounds like they are needed as at least an option again. they really would help.
not really needed now as the graphical bugs have been fixed. Would be cool as an option though.
Pwnz@Secretplace
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

It would be nice if the lights somehow were different for each team. Mabey the middle one can be the team color. Would really help aiming at Lasermania without binoculars on.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Mostly Harmless! wrote:It would be nice if the lights somehow were different for each team. Mabey the middle one can be the team color. Would really help aiming at Lasermania without binoculars on.
Tanks still have turrent lights on them, the developers just made them more subtle. You can see them if you run in night mode (press - till the sky gets darker) and you can see them, they don't shine in daytime. Keep a closer eye out for them. Along with radar and the lights, it's not hard to tell what team they're on, and snipe 'em.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

I was along the idea that the lights would be more domininent. I have TK'ed people when I though they were ST on the other side, so I think that it would help.

SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

Personally, I think the lights are quite useful as it tells you from odd angles which direction the tank is pointed. Sometimes, you can't see the gun - for example if you're below your opponent by a building - but you can still see the lights peeking over the top :)

Always handy for those jump kills.

It's ok, I don't mind giving away my tricks now, since I suck these days anyway :)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

i think the lights are neat :)

you can almost hear the 'neener neener' sound they make lol

esp. tanks with tiny flag ... they are so cute! lol

does any1 make a tank plushie?

=D
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

SilentSwan wrote:for example if you're below your opponent by a building - but you can still see the lights peeking over the top :)
and if they have a flag, u can see the flag sticking out over the building too. :) and around corners, if their gun is sticking out, sometimes you can shoot a bullet across it and they'll blow up :wink:
I am a leaf on the wind.
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Soraya wrote: and if they have a flag, u can see the flag sticking out over the building too. :) and around corners, if their gun is sticking out, sometimes you can shoot a bullet across it and they'll blow up :wink:
Sometimes OO tanks in buildings have their gun pointing out and you can kill them. I also remember back in the days of yore steamrolling people in this way :D
Pwnz@Secretplace
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

cookiecutter wrote:
Soraya wrote: and if they have a flag, u can see the flag sticking out over the building too. :) and around corners, if their gun is sticking out, sometimes you can shoot a bullet across it and they'll blow up :wink:
Sometimes OO tanks in buildings have their gun pointing out and you can kill them. I also remember back in the days of yore steamrolling people in this way :D

You still can steamroller someone this way. Another way people get each other, is someone is on top of a thing box, and the person with SR jumps, hits the top, and the squish radius gets them, and boom they're dead.
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Ice Wewe wrote: You still can steamroller someone this way. Another way people get each other, is someone is on top of a thing box, and the person with SR jumps, hits the top, and the squish radius gets them, and boom they're dead.
Seeing as Secretplace has many long raised causeways or "thing boxes" (:wink:) I do this all the time.
Pwnz@Secretplace
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

The only problem is that I can see the lights through buildings in Laser Mania.

Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Mostly Harmless! wrote:The only problem is that I can see the lights through buildings in Laser Mania.

Really? I can't. One thing I do see when I'm playing on my laptop is that some tanks appear to be embedded into buildings when I'm using binoculars. It makes for an interesting time shooting. :wink:
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

Ice Wewe wrote: Another way people get each other, is someone is on top of a thing box, and the person with SR jumps, hits the top, and the squish radius gets them, and boom they're dead.
that's 1 of my fav moves on the babel/overlord maps =)
Mrhankeythechristmaspoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mrhankeythechristmaspoo »

well...dont the newer versions take more of a better computer to run. Even though bzflag is not a high tech game there are stil lsome people out there with te crapiest computers restricting them to a lower version of bzflag

Just a though
Hankey
Sorry if someone aleready said this. Please tell me
!
Mrhankeythechristmaspoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mrhankeythechristmaspoo »

well...dont the newer versions take more of a better computer to run. Even though bzflag is not a high tech game there are stil lsome people out there with te crapiest computers restricting them to a lower version of bzflag

Just a though
Hankey
Sorry if someone aleready said this. Please tell me
!
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mrhankeythechristmaspoo wrote:Sorry if someone aleready said this. Please tell me
MMMMM - tasty irony!
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

well, hankey, you can still turn nearly all of the graphical options off. so you can still play the new version, with good game preformance.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage