bzflag.secretplace.us down temporarily.

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

bzflag.secretplace.us down temporarily.

Post by Nidhoggr »

I killed off the bzfs process, because there were so many issues with it. The server just changed IP numbers yesterday, and there seems to be some sort of DOS attack against servers, and secretplace has fallen victim a few times in the last few days.

I have to go and redo some routing on the server from the IP change, and then I will restart it and hopefully things will run a little smoother. I'm looking at about 24 hours or less of downtime. If things continue to operate poorly, I may consider removing the server permanently, especially in light of the DOS stuff.

If anyone knows anything about the DOS stuff, and how I can work around it, please email me directly at mandrake@dragon.org.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)
kernel panic

Re: bzflag.secretplace.us down temporarily.

Post by kernel panic »

Nidhoggr wrote:I killed off the bzfs process, because there were so many issues with it. The server just changed IP numbers yesterday, and there seems to be some sort of DOS attack against servers, and secretplace has fallen victim a few times in the last few days.

I have to go and redo some routing on the server from the IP change, and then I will restart it and hopefully things will run a little smoother. I'm looking at about 24 hours or less of downtime. If things continue to operate poorly, I may consider removing the server permanently, especially in light of the DOS stuff.

If anyone knows anything about the DOS stuff, and how I can work around it, please email me directly at mandrake@dragon.org.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)
turkey is a linux box and I run a tool called portsentry on it which blocks access to offending IP's whether I am around or not. It might be worth a try.
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

Post by Nidhoggr »

The DOS seems to be from a connected client and not necessarily a flood of connections. There was some talk about it on the #bzflag channel on opennet, but no one had much detail. The DOS seems to cause a number of things. Some people can't be shot, a lot go NR, and it'll even cause the server to completely crash. These are the things I've seen it do.

I could use something like portsentry to deal with other things, but it wouldn't help in this instance.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

Post by Nidhoggr »

Well, the newest news is that there is an exploit for bzfs to get a shell on a unix box. We might be down a little longer than originally anticipated until someone can patch this hole. This is second person info from someone who actually witnessed the exploit happen.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

back up

Post by Nidhoggr »

Secretplace has been back up for a week or so, now. I am running newer code, etc., and am running in a "sandbox", so I'm not too terribly concerned.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)