[UPDATE]: CTF & FFA If you're interested

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

[UPDATE]: CTF & FFA If you're interested

Post by SilentSwan »

For your edification and amusement, I present this curiosity:

shattered.bzflag.bz:2982 - kinda-sorta-ducati-style CTF on new map: 3-shots+rico, no jumps, no flags. 5 players each Red vs Purple (I like the colours, ok?)

shattered.bzflag.bz:2983 - MadCity FFA - 5 shots+rico, jump, no bad flags, no wings (wait, i thought wings ARE a bad flag?)
Last edited by SilentSwan on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

OK... I've had shattered back up for a couple weeks now, and i'm lucky if I"ve seen 5 players out there that whole time. What's the point, eh? There's too many servers, and the only ones that get any activity are the usual suspects. Who do you have to sleep with??? Ok, bad question. I guess if you're not on a first-name basis with the secretplace/silvercat crew, etc... you don't stand a chance.

Ah well... i've killed them again. Waste of time. BZFlag is NOT what it used to be. I suspect it never will be again, either. Obnoxious little trolls abound. Too many servers. Too much politics. It has ceased to be FUN.

I'm out.
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

I agree about the "too many servers" and "too much politics." Our beloved Planet Mofo has ceased to retain what little popularity we had at one time. I think there's other factors as well. I mean... I cant help but spend hours on Lasermania. :(
/loves meteorite's mom
Bozo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bozo »

SilentSwan wrote:OK... I've had shattered back up for a couple weeks now, and i'm lucky if I"ve seen 5 players out there that whole time. What's the point, eh? There's too many servers, and the only ones that get any activity are the usual suspects. Who do you have to sleep with??? Ok, bad question. I guess if you're not on a first-name basis with the secretplace/silvercat crew, etc... you don't stand a chance.

Ah well... i've killed them again. Waste of time. BZFlag is NOT what it used to be. I suspect it never will be again, either. Obnoxious little trolls abound. Too many servers. Too much politics. It has ceased to be FUN.

I'm out.
Don't get discouraged. It is frustrating, but if all the "for fun" players leave, it *won't* be fun. We need some "other" servers around for those who don't take it so seriously. The problem isn't too many servers, ti's that only a few servers have players on them. I try to hang out in unoccupied servers, waiting for someone to notice and join me. Too often people join, see it's only me and leave immediately. If you can get three people to stay a while, more folks start joining and you can have a good game. One problem I see is too many servers with 2 or 3 admins logged on or a bunch of bots, just to get higher on the list. When you join, there's really nobody there but you :( After a while people just stay on the first page 'cause they figure there's nobody down the list anyway.

I have a few other rants, (like why I don't like wings, etc) but this is long enough as it is.. Just keep in mind that what you (and I) remember as the "good ol' days" was when there was more emphasis on people having fun and basic gameplay, and less on features, high scores, and "bling" on the maps. Keep your server up and try to emphasize those things, and maybe the "good ol' days" can come back.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

H0ley wrote:I agree about the "too many servers" and "too much politics." Our beloved Planet Mofo has ceased to retain what little popularity we had at one time. I think there's other factors as well. I mean... I cant help but spend hours on Lasermania. :(
Agreed. it may be the plugin testing, maybe the new map. or maybe its the shot limit. could be a combination. Planet Mofo has slowly faded into existence. could be that its up who knows when.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
cong066
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cong066 »

I wanted to join your map to check it out, but couldn't get to it. maybe it's not up anymore. :cry:
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

Bozo wrote: Just keep in mind that what you (and I) remember as the "good ol' days" was when there was more emphasis on people having fun and basic gameplay, and less on features, high scores, and "bling" on the maps. Keep your server up and try to emphasize those things, and maybe the "good ol' days" can come back.
You've hit the nail on the head.

Really, I joined one MoFo a while ago, and it had textures on the pyramids that were striped with red/blue and alpha. AND, the textures were animated. I quickly left. I have an old computer that can't keep up.

Some servers want to use plugins to add interest (I won't name names, but...), it doesn't seem to be working.

What it boils down to is:
There's a reason why Silvercat/Hepcat, etc. is usually on the first page of the list
--no bling--

There are other good servers of course. But they are prime examples. (and I don't play other places very often)

I think the original MoFo was OK though

Enough Ranting, I need to get some sleep.
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: [UPDATE]: CTF & FFA If you're interested

Post by Ice Wewe »

SilentSwan wrote:For your edification and amusement, I present this curiosity:

shattered.bzflag.bz:2982 - kinda-sorta-ducati-style CTF on new map: 3-shots+rico, no jumps, no flags. 5 players each Red vs Purple (I like the colours, ok?)

shattered.bzflag.bz:2983 - MadCity FFA - 5 shots+rico, jump, no bad flags, no wings (wait, i thought wings ARE a bad flag?)

I would have played, I just didn't know about them.
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Secretplace as of now could probably have been built back before 2.0 and it is usually 4th or 5th on the list.

While cool maps may be fun once in awhile, it's the functional, working class maps that keep people interested.
Pwnz@Secretplace
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Vax, I think youre referring to A-Delusion's Epileptic Fit map, with moving, textured pyramids and everything else. That was quite a show, props to him for the map.

Secretplace is all but dead, LaserMania is on the rise. It's the normal cycle of server popularity. It goes in seasons, usually in the summer, when more of the younger crowd has time, the so-called 'spray and pray' servers seem to have more popularity. Then, most of the rest of the year, the ducati/GU/Pillbox kinds, so-called 'skill' styles are more popular, as its more of the older crowd have time to play, or maybe its the lack of younger kids.

whew, longest post ever by me(i think)
ImageImage
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

Hannibal wrote:Secretplace is all but dead
I beg to differ. There's always people there when I play and at times such as later in the evening or weekends it can reach 20-30 players.

I do agree with the rest of your post though.
Pwnz@Secretplace
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

Hannibal wrote:Vax, I think youre referring to A-Delusion's Epileptic Fit map, with moving, textured pyramids and everything else. That was quite a show, props to him for the map.

Secretplace is all but dead, LaserMania is on the rise. It's the normal cycle of server popularity. It goes in seasons, usually in the summer, when more of the younger crowd has time, the so-called 'spray and pray' servers seem to have more popularity. Then, most of the rest of the year, the ducati/GU/Pillbox kinds, so-called 'skill' styles are more popular, as its more of the older crowd have time to play, or maybe its the lack of younger kids.

whew, longest post ever by me(i think)
Yeah, I think you're probably right on both counts.

I was up a 1 in the morning when I posted, so sorry if I wen't overboard on the ranting.
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

mofo isnt always down on the lsit. yesterday i saw a mofo server wit around 18 person
The S
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

yeah, there are now at least 4 servers being run by denizens of Planet Mofo.

-Original, run by Darth Vader. now 6-shot. mostly a plugin testing ground.
-Tropican8's server. 1badplayer.no-ip.org Port Unknown. usually runs maps by 1badplayer(btw, I havent seen him in a while). or the original mofo.
-A-Delusion.no-ip.org. Run by A-Delusion. Former home of the Planet Mofo League. Usually runs the flashy maps with textures and things that move with physics drivers.
- Matt? has set up a server but it is being suspended due to technincal difficulties.
-A semi-confidential project hoping to get started soon. run by an anonymous Mofo.
ImageImage
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Hannibal wrote:yeah, there are now at least 4 servers being run by denizens of Planet Mofo.

-Original, run by Darth Vader. now 6-shot. mostly a plugin testing ground.
-Tropican8's server. 1badplayer.no-ip.org Port Unknown. usually runs maps by 1badplayer(btw, I havent seen him in a while). or the original mofo.
-A-Delusion.no-ip.org. Run by A-Delusion. Former home of the Planet Mofo League. Usually runs the flashy maps with textures and things that move with physics drivers.
- Matt? has set up a server but it is being suspended due to technincal difficulties.
-A semi-confidential project hoping to get started soon. run by an anonymous Mofo.
Port on mine is always 4200. Hehe, yes the secret project will be lamer than anything else we've ever done...That's the one right?

Oh yeah and you forgot ATD's Server
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

How come whenever I look there are servers with no one on them at the top of the list, and servers with 20+ people on them on like the 3rd page... what's up with that?
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

sometimes there are 2 playing person and lot of observers set to get on top off the list
The S