Surround sound support

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Surround sound support

Post by Dylan Sunderberg »

It's really about time this game had surround sound support.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Good idea.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Seriously, is there any talk of getting it in an upcoming client? Truly, I can't think of a proposal for enhancing BZFlag better than one for adding surround sound to it...

...except for the usual yada, yada, yada of "Add more special effects, high resolution textures, high-poly models, etc." We've heard such ideas enough times!
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

ooo

I like it

I my 5.1 arourd my pc could be used for moew than just movies.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

doing surround sound in a cross platform system is not easy. I've researched it. The libs that allow it are not open source. On windows it's not bad if you replace all the internal sound stuff with direct sound calls. but on linux and the mac, there are no real system APIs for 3d sound, so you'd have to write stuff for specific hardware.
ImageJeffM
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Trucker Tricker »

That's a bummer. I believe that we all would prefer to keep this game multi-platform. Surround sound would be incredible if it were practically possible.
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

doing surround sound in a cross platform system is not easy. I've researched it. The libs that allow it are not open source. On windows it's not bad if you replace all the internal sound stuff with direct sound calls. but on linux and the mac, there are no real system APIs for 3d sound, so you'd have to write stuff for specific hardware.
OpenAL is a cross-platform, open-source library that supports surround output (see http://www.openal.org/).
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Open AL is cross plat, and does have it's own 3d sound engine, but does not ( as of last time I checked ) support surround sound output on non windows systems, it jus does it's own mixing down to 2 speakers, just like bzflag does. If they have added support for that then it is probably a good choice for it, and somone would just have to replace the sound system with it, asuming everyone is ok with it being a new dependency. But I didn't see anything about surround sound, dolby encoding, or anything like that in the docs.
ImageJeffM
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

dolby encoding
Unless my understanding is completely wrong, you don't need to use Dolby encoding or anything similar to obtain surround sound with OpenAL.
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if it supports 4 speakers and does real positioning, then that's cool. I didn't see anything for that when I skimmed the docs. There was nothing in the init stuff that showed it using 3d sound hardware ( do any of the linux sound APIs use 3d hardware? ). But maybe I missed it.

dolby was just an example. many surrond systems use a dolby encoder on the card and it goes to an external speaker/amp setup. On windows with direct sound, this is all abstracted.

as for just mixing down to 2 speakers, bzflag does that type of 3d sound allready.

I'd be interested to know what sound system is being used on your linux setup, and if it's doing mixing down to 2 speakers or 4. You could have a sound go off behind you and see if it sends the sound out just the rear speakers.
ImageJeffM
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

You could have a sound go off behind you and see if it sends the sound out just the rear speakers.
I wouldn't consider my setup to be a true surround-sound one if it didn't! :D
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

then it sounds like it would work.

now you just have to find somone to write the code.
ImageJeffM
Dylan Sunderberg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Great, it looks like the developers have already thought of it: http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/WorkInProgress
Last edited by Dylan Sunderberg on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

oh that page is way old, it was just ideas that people had ( basicly anyone can edit that page )

As far as I know, noone is working on adding openAL support at this time.
ImageJeffM
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

umm where does it say anything about suround sound it says sound...
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH