BZW Exporter Version 2.0?

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...

Would you use it?

Yes
76%
No
14%
Whats blender?
10%

Total votes: 21

Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZW Exporter Version 2.0?

Post by Teppic »

Seeing as apache's php_mod is working fine, the botwatch scripts are up to date and can't be published until 2.0.5 goes stable, the mail server is ticking over nicely in the corner, the laptop is finally running encrypted and I finished all the hotplug scripts for the wifes mp3 player, I'm bored.

The thought occurs that as the original blender exporter grew from an old wrl script, and is way too bloated to do much more to without breakage, perhaps a rewrite is in order.

Then a further thought occurs 'Hey Tepp, what if you do it proper like.... you know.... classes, comment yer code, that sort of thing.'
So I'm gonna rewrite the exporter, but whilst writing indivdual classes to export to a bzw file you may as well reverse the process, reading an existing map through a parser, and convert it back in the same module.

Well, then comes the question, if you could import and export complete maps to and from blender would you use it? By complete I mean everything, from server options to physics drivers, spawn zones to fancy looking meshes with 12 textures and see through bits. It would also include a simple toolkit gui like the old one to add new objetcs etc.
Thoughts?
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

:shock:

^-- that is a "yes", I would use it.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Saturos wrote::shock:

^-- that is a "yes", I would use it.

I say the same, I would definetly use it.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Damn, I better start writing then....
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZW Exporter Version 2.0?

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Teppic wrote:Seeing as apache's php_mod is working fine, the botwatch scripts are up to date and can't be published until 2.0.5 goes stable, the mail server is ticking over nicely in the corner, the laptop is finally running encrypted and I finished all the hotplug scripts for the wifes mp3 player, I'm bored.

The thought occurs that as the original blender exporter grew from an old wrl script, and is way too bloated to do much more to without breakage, perhaps a rewrite is in order.

Then a further thought occurs 'Hey Tepp, what if you do it proper like.... you know.... classes, comment yer code, that sort of thing.'
So I'm gonna rewrite the exporter, but whilst writing indivdual classes to export to a bzw file you may as well reverse the process, reading an existing map through a parser, and convert it back in the same module.

Well, then comes the question, if you could import and export complete maps to and from blender would you use it? By complete I mean everything, from server options to physics drivers, spawn zones to fancy looking meshes with 12 textures and see through bits. It would also include a simple toolkit gui like the old one to add new objetcs etc.
Thoughts?
hehe, sounds like your making a new bzflag map editor.
Sure, i would use it.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Update, it will currently import and export:-

Boxes

Tada

Yeah I know, but it means the file parser and scene writer works ok, bases next, the're like boxes, cut and paste, couple of lines of extra code :tired:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Something that could input AND export BZFlag maps would be awesome. Clearly what we need for our Mapper Tower Project.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Prolly won't be done in time for that, I have less time available than when the other exporter was written (in a week). Looking at the end of Feb I rekon....
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

No rush...
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Question about the modifier gui, should it be in a third party app (ie have its own window) or use blenders GUI abilities. I don't know how many people run blender in a window?

Going against my normal choice (pygtk or pyqt), and using wxpython for the gui will allow windows compatibility as well AFAIK(thx to LePoupe for the heads up on that, and his nifty bz manager)

P.S. I hate transform matrices :evil:
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I run blender in a window... I hate fullscreen-apps that aren't games.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

This IS for windows right? :)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Probably for all platforms that blender runs on.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I would definitely use it - I'm learning Blender now.

I would say to use the built in Blender GUI - for consistency, and anyway, popup windows prevent you from using Blender while they are open, or when you click Blender it will drop behind Blender and dissapear. Also, Blender's GUI is lighter and more dense than Windoze's, so screen real estate would be better used.

I think.

It would be great if you could add a standard Blender modifier to something and give it special BZFlag properties through that modifier. Also, things like teleporters and bases could be done by adding a BZFlag submenu under the SPACEBAR>Add menu.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

TD-Linux wrote:It would be great if you could add a standard Blender modifier to something and give it special BZFlag properties through that modifier. Also, things like teleporters and bases could be done by adding a BZFlag submenu under the SPACEBAR>Add menu.
The modifier I've done before, but I'm not sure you can register scripts to the add menu.....

OK, blender gui is is then.
Attachments
snapshot1.jpg
Look familiar?
(38.71 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Testers wanted for the importer, python 2.4, blender version 2.40, I tried to keep it 2.37 compatible but I'm not sure I did, required py modules are os and math.
The importer is about 90% done, but I don't want to have to sit around for bug reports once it is.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Teppic wrote:Testers wanted for the importer, python 2.4, blender version 2.40, I tried to keep it 2.37 compatible but I'm not sure I did, required py modules are os and math.
The importer is about 90% done, but I don't want to have to sit around for bug reports once it is.

ill test it, I have blender 2.40 and 2.41
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Win XP wrote:ill test it, I have blender 2.40 and 2.41
But do you have Python?
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

I'd like to test it! I've got python 2.4 and blender 2.41.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I would test it, too.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

The anonymous cvs server should be working now.

Code: Select all

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@teppic.homelinux.net:2401/root login
[just press enter at the password prompt]
cd /home/yourname/.blender/scripts/
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@teppic.homelinux.net:2401/root/ checkout bzflag
cp bzflag/bzwImport.py ./bzwImport.py
blender -window
Anyone not happy using cvs post and I'll upload weekly snapshots to a http server.

I'll post here for updates and new modules ( phydriver, texmat, transform and waterlevel are the only ones left)

When (yes when) coming across a problem pls post the error output from the console and the map file (or section that broke it).

Saturos, you need the math module this time, try typing python in a console, then import math in the python console to test. If it doesn't work try installing python again from whatever package manager you use.

I'm also interested to know if you run it under 2.3python or 2.3*blender, stuff like that.

Some notes, links for transporters end up in layer 19, materials (bz specific) end up in layer 20 as spheres to exhibit the material, textured materials won't show up in the viewport sometimes, but will in a render. World weapons are represented by the cheesy gun in layer 1. Most of the bz specific properties can't be viewed within blenders view properties button section, as they are list or tuple objects and not strings floats or ints, this is fine for now as the GUI will eventually take care of it. I expect the rest of the modules will be available by the end of next week.Thanks for the help guys.....
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Update:
Now imports meshes & groups instances (allthough has trouble with instances before definition)
Can read object properties in blender.

Also simplified the cvs server so you don't have to move stuff about.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Saturos@linux:~> python
Python 2.4 (#1, May 4 2005, 21:41:46)
[GCC 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import math
>>>
Looks good, I guess.
I'll try your thing now.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

is there a .exe available ?
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Win Xp wrote:is there a .exe available ?
:roll: It's python :roll: