a warning about downloaded clients from blogspot

Important stuff goes here.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

a warning about downloaded clients from blogspot

Post by JeffM »

This is just a FYI for everyone.. Mr. Molez ( and his friends) have been posting "cheats" on various blogspot blogs after being baned for the network and IRC abbuse issues of the past month ( yes he was one of the people behind it ). He basicly is telling the admin staff that if we don't give him a fixed ban time he'll release many cheats out into the "wild". I see this as a desperate act of somone who has gone way off the deep end. He feels that everyone would cheat and the comunity would tear itself appart and die.

He has started tonight by trying to get people to download his files. These files are not bzflag mods. they are virus files and trojans. Please be aware that he is just trying to trick you and in his mind destroy the game. Please just ignore him.

It's a sad pathetic ploy on his part I know.

Basicly it's not a good idea to trust any download of a bzflag client from any site that isn't from bzflag.bz or bzflag.org, or from sourceforge directly.

I think most of you all know who builds and posts versions, so please just use common sense when downloading things and you won't get yoursleves in trouble.

Thanks for listening.

PS:
please no OS wars, or discussions on why your OS is more secure, or what virus stuff to use. this is just an FYI. There is a thread on windows virus stuff in chat, please read that over if you'd like more info on geting rid of viruses.
Last edited by JeffM on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageJeffM
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

What is the name virus exactly (or what it does?)? Specifically the one I was talking about on IM.

I also think the files he post should be reported to the people that host it.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there were a number of trojans that were found in it by the scaners, I did not disect them.
ImageJeffM
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Jeff, would it be possible to put this in the "message of the day" bit in the client? Most of the people who frequent BZBB know what they're doing, but I worry about everyone else... :\
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

mr_molez contacted me by IM offering me the client. Naturally, I didn't trust him - I would never download any other than an official client.

Now I see this post, fits in perfectly.
romfis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by romfis »

HI

Can a Player a Translate English-German, please!
I see Post for JeffM2501 a "virus files and trojans" Warning...

Please, Saturos or another Player GERMAN Translate !

EDIT. is this the Cheating site (blogspot) from?

Ensino Man
Lord Jesus
l33t_n3ss

and better is this site to closet and the Provider http://www.blogger.com/
Informing.... ;)

thx.
romfis!
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

zusammenfassung: jeff sagt das man keine unoffiziellen programme runterladen soll, wie diejenigen bzflag mods, die mr molez (cheater) jüngstens in seiner blogseite veröffentlich hat. die sollen viren und trojan enthalten. die offiziellen seiten waeren: bzflag.bz, bzflag.org, oder sourceforge.
Glassjaw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Glassjaw »

:shock: wow, i always thought mr molez was one of the good guys out there...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

he was, he decided to change, for the worst.

now he is very much not one of the good guys. By his own admision he wishes to kill this game and it's comunity.
ImageJeffM
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

wow :shock: its hard to immagine molez doing that....
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

what a loser.

I thought exactly what soraya said.

I was also contacted by email to get a client.
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Just a thought from somebody...

Post by UL_Approved »

I haven't been in the community for ages (since May 2005). This whole thing just seems a little strange in my opinion. I guess that someone could snap and turn to the dark side, but does anyone know why Mr. Molez just decided one day to destroy BZFlag? And does anyone know for sure that this is him? How often has this been going on?

If Mr. Molez really is behind cheats, I'll bet that he's been at it a very long time. Back when I played Overlord on Hepcat servers, we always used to get strange stuff going on and we could never figure some of it out. Changing environmental variables, invincible tanks for all, and even unexplained crashes.

Like I said, I've been out for months now, and this is one of those strange things that just makes me shake my head. It brings back memories of redsoxfan90 and Misa and others who just had to make trouble.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Re: Just a thought from somebody...

Post by Winny »

UL_Approved wrote:I haven't been in the community for ages (since May 2005). This whole thing just seems a little strange in my opinion. I guess that someone could snap and turn to the dark side, but does anyone know why Mr. Molez just decided one day to destroy BZFlag? And does anyone know for sure that this is him? How often has this been going on?

If Mr. Molez really is behind cheats, I'll bet that he's been at it a very long time. Back when I played Overlord on Hepcat servers, we always used to get strange stuff going on and we could never figure some of it out. Changing environmental variables, invincible tanks for all, and even unexplained crashes.

Like I said, I've been out for months now, and this is one of those strange things that just makes me shake my head. It brings back memories of redsoxfan90 and Misa and others who just had to make trouble.

It was him, you should contact a dev or a site admin if you want more info.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

UL_Approved wrote:I haven't been in the community for ages (since May 2005). This whole thing just seems a little strange in my opinion. I guess that someone could snap and turn to the dark side, but does anyone know why Mr. Molez just decided one day to destroy BZFlag? And does anyone know for sure that this is him? How often has this been going on?

There are extenuating circumstances beyond bz, and personal, that caused him to "snap."
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The Red Baron
his circumstances are understood. but he could have stoped after it was all found out and he had his stress releif, and then gone on with being ok. He chose not to. He chose to continue the agression.

Loss is painfull, but there are limtis to what you can expect people to "understand" due to it. He has gone way past that limit.
ImageJeffM
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Sheesh, yall act like he killed somebody or he was killed. Its just a game, people like him come time to time... :)
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

^nightmare^
his case is not as cut and dry as you think, just leave it at that.
ImageJeffM
guitarman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by guitarman »

yes, he did a bad thing, but it is just a game like nightmare said. if everyone just ignores him then he will eventually go away...
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

JeffM2501

I agree with you 100%. That the circumstances are understood. but the reaction to them and aggression to the community was uncalled for. sadly he did go past the limits.

Thats what hurts.

Guitarman and Nightmare, you guys have it all wrong, Like JeffM2501 said, its not as cut and dry as you think. Leave it at that.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
guitarman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by guitarman »

The Red Baron
what do you mean?
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

JeffM2501 wrote:[...]just leave it at that.
The Red Baron wrote:Leave it at that.
mistake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mistake »

just for information, and to correct some things:
UL_Approved wrote:How often has this been going on?
It didn't go on for ages, atleast not in the ducati league.
What I don't get though, is why a guy like him would choose annoying 1000 shot server owner kiddies over playing matches with me :D
UL_Approved wrote:Like I said, I've been out for months now, and this is one of those strange things that just makes me shake my head. It brings back memories of redsoxfan90 and Misa and others who just had to make trouble.
I don't know who is Misa, but redsoxfan90 is now a valueable member of bzflag and the gu league. He is much appreaciated by everyone there.
I know that used to be different, but he is big fun.
UL_Approved wrote:I guess that someone could snap and turn to the dark side
so i guess, people are snapping and turning in every direction
mistake