WorldPlayer vs RemotePlayer

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

WorldPlayer vs RemotePlayer

Post by PsYch0 »

So I've sparked a great interest in reading through the code of BZFlag. However, I find while the comments are more than some programs, they aren't necessarily the MOST helpful.

One thing I'm wondering right now is: what exactly is the practical difference between a WorldPlayer and a RemotePlayer instance?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
PsYch0
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

WorldPlayer is used for world weapon shots.
RemotePlayer represents the remote players
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

Sure... but what is the difference between "world" and "remote" ... practically? WHO is a world player and WHO is a remote player?

I understand that, e.g., if I'm playing, I'm the LocalPlayer; I would presume all other players are represented in my client as RemotePlayer's; so who exactly are the WorldPlayer's? And am I right about all other players being of the RemotePlayer definition...?

Thanks again
PsYch0
huw
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by huw »

I believe that WorldPlayers are world weapons and are server-side only
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

I'm thinking maybe WorldPlayer = robot (bot, whatever) and RemotePlayer = remotely-connected-REAL-player... ??

Can anyone confirm that?

thanks
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

PsYch0 wrote:I'm thinking maybe WorldPlayer = robot (bot, whatever) and RemotePlayer = remotely-connected-REAL-player... ??

Can anyone confirm that?

thanks
Listen to what these people are telling you, dude. :|

Going by what trepan said:
All players are RemotePlayers.

WorldPlayer is only used to fire server-controlled world weapons. It's not a "player" per se, there's no tank or anything, it only has an instance so that the game world can fire automatic weapons.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

L4m3r wrote: Listen to what these people are telling you, dude. :|

Going by what trepan said:
All players are RemotePlayers.

WorldPlayer is only used to fire server-controlled world weapons. It's not a "player" per se, there's no tank or anything, it only has an instance so that the game world can fire automatic weapons.
No need to be rude ... dude!
1) trepan clarified that Remote = remote... ?? how does one infer remote=all from that. One doesn't; unless, of course, he already knows that remote=all, which you must, and I don't, which is why I've posted the question.
2) I was not aware that there were situations in which "the game world" would fire weapons. So of course I wouldn't infer that from someone saying "the server" so much as I would infer that they might mean "bot" players when speaking of "server" weapons... afterall, bots are not run remotely at all are they? So I don't know what "remote" and "world" mean, which I mustn't for I've asked the question, the non-remote-operated BOT players might make "server" sense to me.

However, in your condescending response, I do think you might have given me what I asked for - the "practical" definition of World and Remote. That is, during game play, who is WORLD and who is REMOTE.

At any rate, thanks for you clarification,
PsYch0
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

My apologies on assuming that you had previously encountered world weapons.

Although I can understand why you would be inclined to think otherwise, there are no server-side bots in BZFlag. All robots are either a client on autopilot or a "robot tank" that is "brought in" with a standard client by adding "-solo n" to the command line, where n is the number of bots you wish to bring.

I'm sorry for the tone- I didn't mean to come off that harsh. It just seemed like you were essentially asking the same question three times, but now I see it was just a misunderstanding regarding some game terms.

Sorry for that, and I'm glad I clarified it for you. ;)
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

No worries. Thanks for being understanding, for it's definitely a misunderstaning of game terms that I based my question on.

As for bots... you say their actually clients? They are typically run on the same machine as the server right? Or atleast, I've seen maps that will use bots until a certain number of players are logged in... those bots are then client apps run from the same machine as the server ?

Again, thanks for the help...
-PsYch0
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Usually the server machine will run a bot as well, yes. Not always, though- and the server doesn't care, either. Sometimes, in the Planet MoFo ring, we share bots across our servers. :lol:

Servers with bots that enter and depart usually run a script that watches the number of players, and runs a client as needed, with bots, and exits when they are no longer necessary. The script typically uses an observer slot to watch the game, so, like normal bots, it doesn't really matter where they're coming from.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

PsYch0 wrote:As for bots... you say their actually clients? They are typically run on the same machine as the server right? Or atleast, I've seen maps that will use bots until a certain number of players are logged in... those bots are then client apps run from the same machine as the server ?
That's the way I do it. Just start a client and press 9 to get Roger. It takes alot of CPU resources though.

Teppic has a custom script and client that lets players use this:
Type xROBOTPLAYERS in lower case, where x is the number of bots you want.
See his reply in this thread: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... teppic+bot
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

excellent . thanks for the tips :D