warning bath file/program

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
OO7
Private First Class
Private First Class

warning bath file/program

Post by OO7 »

:idea: :arrow: :idea-alt: im not too good at making batch files and such, and i was wondering if there was some way tp make a batch file or something that when someone cussed, it would give them a warning, and then maybe another if they did it again, and then it would kick/ban them. or is this just a crazy idea that would be really neat but is impossible? :?:
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Is it a problem to use the exiting obfuscation code with the bad word list included? Does it offend you to see #@%&! on your screen, or is it just the idea that someone might use one of those words, and you don't want that sort of person on your server>
OO7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OO7 »

bad word files work, but if they keep doing it, how can i stop them when im not there? it might be better if instead of banning or kicking the person if it just muted them.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

I know this is not on topic of how to make a batch file to do this, but are you saying that it IS offensive to see #@%&! on your screen? If not, why would you want to remove them from your server?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

this would be easier done with a plugin...
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

ATD... don't fight that battle. I don't quite get why so many server owners take such a neurotic approach to language, but they do. I once said "rat farts!" on a server, and not only did the server filter "fart", but about four admins jumped on me for language. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you're really that insistent on limiting the amount of @#$% on your server, you may want to just prohibit unregistered players from talking.

A shell script could probably do it, but IMO a better thing would be an option to censor inapprpriate messages completely... that is, just block the message and sent a "this message was blocked" note to the user who sent it. This would be a safety net for some of us, who sometimes are surprised by what words are in the filter (such as the aforementioned "rat farts" incident), and it'd help ease tension between admins and players.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
OO7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OO7 »

L4m3r wrote:
I once said "rat farts!" on a server, and not only did the server filter "fart", but about four admins jumped on me for language.
i think rat farts is funny! but anyway, tadd actually owns the server, and he prohibits cussing. so i abide by that rule and keep it that way on the server. i just need some way to keep people from cussing over being shot once or twice..
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

you can use the /kick command.

just kick them, or ba them, it has more effect then a machine telling them what to do.
OO7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OO7 »

i mean when im not there.....
hee hee, i just noticed i said "bath file", not "batch file"