Edit tank properties: speed/ turning rate

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
BradW
Private First Class
Private First Class

Edit tank properties: speed/ turning rate

Post by BradW »

Where can we modify thank turning rate, speed and shot velocity defaults?

I tried fiddling with the properties in the physics object of bzw but had no luck. And that seems to apply to other objects in the game, which I don't quite understand.

Any help?

I'm hoping to avoid recompiling if necessary but will do if I have to (I'm on a Mac running tiger).

Thanks for any help
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

These values are controlled by the server you are playing on - not your client. On any server, anyone can type "/set" and see all the server variables. If you have access (usually if you are the owner of the server) you can change those values.

If you are attempting to change the values only in your client and not for the other players of that server, that would be considered cheating and you'd most likely be banned from that server.
BradW
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BradW »

I'm aware of this. Yes I'm running my own server (otherwise fiddling with bzw files would be pretty silly).

What I don't know is the name of the setting commands to put into a conf file. I've figured out that tankSpeed is tankspeed, but what about turning rate?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Try looking here... it is a list of the server variables..

http://bzflag.org/wiki/ServerVariables
BradW
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BradW »

Bingo! _tankAngVel is the one. Thanks.

Now, how about taking off the chat window and radar, can this be done in the client?

I don't see such an option in the command line flags for bzflag.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I think this is what you want to turn off the radar from the server: _radarLimit 0

Don't think you can turn off the chat window on the client from the server though.

If you only want to turn it off for your client, 'q' toggles the radar, and 'w' toggles the chat window.
Last edited by joevano on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BradW
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BradW »

Ah ha, Q and W are exactly the answer. They're not listed in the help menu, but I figured they existed. I should have just tried every letter really.

Thanks again.