demos

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

demos

Post by michaelh20 »

I was thinking that it might be possible to create the capacity to record and playback demos. Might require some bit of hacking on the source code, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of every so often recording the position of all the players and what they are doing, etc..

just thinking

then we just need a midi player :)
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

The ability to record (and playback) a game would be nice. When thinking of league matches, we could even put past matches up on the site. Would be perfect if it would also be possible to pause, rewind, fast forward etc.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I like this idea. How about include camera options like they have in the observation mode, and maybe an "action tracker" camera (like in Carmagedon). Also, compression might be wanted. Files could get very large. We should streaming the file to disk, rather that recording it all to memory as well.

Multiple view screens would also be cool, so you can watch 2-4 players/areas at once. Watch that stealth sneak up on the GM from 2 angles. :D

How about an instant replay of your death? It would be, say...the last 3 or 4 seconds before you "bite the bullet."
Last edited by blast on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

....and we need an announcers/broadcasting

SGI still camping with his GM from the top of the map...Ohhhhhhhh look is coming from his back "@@@" with stealth and boom, finally someone kill SGI.
Check, check in the other side Chestal with laser ahhhhh he just polverized "@@@" great great battle ..........
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

Somewhere someone hinted at having a "replay server" that you could connect to with the normal client's observer mode to watch the replay. That wouldn't get you the nice VCR-like rewind and skip forward functions though.
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

It looks like someone started writing a demo recorder a long long time ago - search for packetStream in ServerLink.cxx (or here). It works, in the sense that it records all packets received from the server and saves them, timestamped, to a file. I think that more info would have to be recorded in order to replay the game later though, and I didn't find any code to load the packet file. It's a start, though.