Dev-C++ error: Cannot find -lregex

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dev-C++ error: Cannot find -lregex

Post by UL_Approved »

I tried compiling bzadmin with Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2, SDL-devel-1.2.9-mingw32.tar.gz, libcurl-7.15.3-win32-nossl.zip, and bzflag-2.0.6-20060409.zip and I get the following message:
g++.exe ../src/bzadmin/UIMap.o ../src/bzadmin/bzadmin.o ../src/bzadmin/BZAdminClient.o ../src/bzadmin/BZAdminUI.o ../src/bzadmin/OptionParser.o ../src/bzadmin/StdBothUI.o ../src/bzadmin/StdInUI.o ../src/bzadmin/StdOutUI.o ../src/bzadmin/Ping.o ../src/bzadmin/Address.o ../src/bzadmin/multicast.o ../src/bzadmin/network.o ../src/bzadmin/Pack.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerLink.o ../src/bzadmin/StateDatabase.o ../src/bzadmin/TimeKeeper.o ../src/bzadmin/ErrorHandler.o ../src/bzadmin/bzfio.o ../src/bzadmin/BundleMgr.o ../src/bzadmin/Bundle.o ../src/bzadmin/PlayerState.o ../src/bzadmin/buildDate.o ../src/bzadmin/ShotUpdate.o ../src/bzadmin/Flag.o ../src/bzadmin/Team.o ../src/bzadmin/AutoCompleter.o ../src/bzadmin/TextUtils.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerList.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerListCache.o ../src/bzadmin/StartupInfo.o ../src/bzadmin/ServerItem.o ../src/bzadmin/FileManager.o ../src/bzadmin/DirectoryNames.o ../src/bzadmin/cURLManager.o -o "..\src\bzadmin\bzadmin.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -lstdc++ -lcurl -lwsock32 -lwinmm -lregex -fmessage-length=0 -s

C:\Dev-Cpp\Bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lregex
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make.exe: *** [../src/bzadmin/bzadmin.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated
This is the linker line for g++, and the -lregex error is the same for bzfs and bzflag. Does anyone know what -lregex is and why this could be happening?
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

An update

Post by UL_Approved »

I compiled bzfs.exe with some errors, and then I compiled bzflag.exe with some errors. I had to make a change to bzfSDL.h to get it to compile. This is the new version of the file:
/* bzflag
* Copyright (c) 1993 - 2006 Tim Riker
* This package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
* modify it under the terms of the license found in the file
* named COPYING that should have accompanied this file.
* THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
* IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
*/

#ifndef __BZFSDL_H__
#define __BZFSDL_H__

/** this file contains headers necessary for SDL */

#define HAVE_SDL_SDL_H
//** this is a hack workaround for the SDL includes

#ifdef HAVE_SDL
# ifdef HAVE_SDL_SDL_H
# include <SDL/SDL.h>
# include <SDL/SDL_thread.h>
# include <SDL/SDL_getenv.h>
# else // autotools adds an SDL-specific include path
# include "SDL.h"
# include "SDL_thread.h"
# include "SDL_getenv.h"
# endif //HAVE_SDL_SDL_H
#endif //HAVE_SDL

#endif /* __BZFSDL_H__ */

// Local Variables: ***
// mode: C++ ***
// tab-width: 8 ***
// c-basic-offset: 2 ***
// indent-tabs-mode: t ***
// End: ***
// ex: shiftwidth=2 tabstop=8
The hack I made was to #define HAVE_SDL_SDL_H. I installed the SDL header files in a subfolder called SDL\ in the base include directory for Dev-C++. This may be the problem for that instance. I'm still having the same problem with bzadmin.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Did you get the regex messages when building bzfs.dev and bzflag.dev? About your #define HAVE_SDL_SDL_H fix, did this make it compile perfect?

As for bzadmin.dev, this is due to missing the libregex.a file. This isn't your fault though, it seems I forgot to write about this in the readme. To fix this, open up bzadmin.dev (you will have to do the same for bzadmin-pdcurses.dev, if you want to build that). On the left, right click where it says "Source Files". Select "Add to Project" in the new popped-up menu, and go to "/src/regex/" directory in your BZFlag source directory. Hold shift or control and select regcomp.c, regexec.c, regerror.c, and regfree.c. Now, press alt-P. Select the "Files" tab in the new window. Click the "+" next to "Source Files". Click "regcomp.c" once, hold shift, and click "regfree.c". Now, slightly to the right, uncheck the box that says "Compile file as C++". Then, near the top of this window, click the "Parameters" tab and under the box titled "Linker", delete "-lregex", keeping a space before and after. Now it should compile fine.

I have included the fixed bzadmin.dev and bzadmin-pdcurses.dev files, in case you feel like skipping to the point. These will work.
Attachments
bzadmin.zip
fixed bzadmin.dev and bzadmin-pdcurses.dev
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Some detailed information

Post by UL_Approved »

This is a listing of all of the Dev-C++ compiler logs that I get when compiling. They start with libraries.dev:
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\Dev-C++\Makefile.win"
Executing make clean
rm -f ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.o ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.o ../src/c-ares/ares_process.o ../src/c-ares/ares_query.o ../src/c-ares/ares_search.o ../src/c-ares/ares_send.o ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.o ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.o ../src/c-ares/ares_version.o ../src/c-ares/windows_port.o ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.o ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.o ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.o ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.o ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.o ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.o ../src/c-ares/ares_init.o ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.o libares.a

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.c:17:
C:/Dev-Cpp/include/sys/types.h:104: warning: useless keyword or type name in empty declaration
C:/Dev-Cpp/include/sys/types.h:104: warning: empty declaration

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.c:17:

C:/Dev-Cpp/include/sys/types.h:104: warning: useless keyword or type name in empty declaration

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_process.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_process.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_process.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_query.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_query.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_query.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_search.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399,
from ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_send.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_send.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_send.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21,

from ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c:18:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_version.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_version.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/windows_port.c -o ../src/c-ares/windows_port.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/windows_port.c:6:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/io.h:20,
from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/unistd.h:10,
from ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c:20:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c:16:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c:18:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c:23:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c:18:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.c:17:

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_init.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_init.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_init.c:17:

../src/c-ares/ares_init.c: In function `get_iphlpapi_dns_info':
../src/c-ares/ares_init.c:334: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated

gcc.exe -c ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.c -o ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -I"../.." -D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DWIN32 -DNDEBUG -D_MBCS -D_LIB -fexpensive-optimizations -O2 -fmessage-length=0

In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.c:17:

ar r libares.a ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.o ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.o ../src/c-ares/ares_process.o ../src/c-ares/ares_query.o ../src/c-ares/ares_search.o ../src/c-ares/ares_send.o ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.o ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.o ../src/c-ares/ares_version.o ../src/c-ares/windows_port.o ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.o ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.o ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.o ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.o ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.o ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.o ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.o ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.o ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.o ../src/c-ares/ares_init.o ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.o

ar: creating libares.a

ranlib libares.a

Execution terminated
I put libraries.a in the lib/ folder for further compilation. Next, I put the updated versions of bzadmin.dev and bzadmin-pdcurses.dev into the Dev-C++ folder of the BZFlag source code. I then compile and get a clean output. After that, I compile bzfs.dev and get the folowing output:
C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzfs\commands.cxx In member function `virtual bool IdleTimeCommand::operator()(const char*, GameKeeper::Player*)':
1579 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzfs\commands.cxx [Warning] 'value' might be used uninitialized in this function
C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzfs\ListServerConnection.cxx In member function `virtual void ListServerLink::finalization(char*, unsigned int, bool)':
126 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzfs\ListServerConnection.cxx [Warning] 'callsign' might be used uninitialized in this function
207 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzfs\ListServerConnection.cxx [Warning] 'group' might be used uninitialized in this function
C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_init.c In function `get_iphlpapi_dns_info':
334 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_init.c [Warning] use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_mkquery.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.c
104 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\sys\types.h [Warning] useless keyword or type name in empty declaration
104 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\sys\types.h [Warning] empty declaration
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_parse_a_reply.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.c
104 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\sys\types.h [Warning] useless keyword or type name in empty declaration
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_parse_ptr_reply.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_query.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_query.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdio.h:399, from .\src\c-ares\ares_search.c In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399, from ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_search.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_send.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_send.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_strerror.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_strerror.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_timeout.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.c
10 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\io.h:20, from C:\Dev-Cpp\include\unistd.h In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/io.h:20, from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/unistd.h
20 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\unistd.h:10, from .\src\c-ares\ares__close_sockets.c from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/unistd.h:10, from ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c
20 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__close_sockets.c from ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__get_hostent.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdio.h:399, from .\src\c-ares\ares__read_line.c In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399, from ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__read_line.c from ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c
16 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_cancel.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c
16 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_cancel.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_destroy.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_destroy.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_expand_name.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_expand_string.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_fds.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.c
23 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_free_hostent.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c
23 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_free_hostent.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_free_string.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_free_string.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_gethostbyaddr.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_gethostbyname.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.c
The final order of business is to compile bzflag.dev into an executable. When I compile, I make the above mentioned change to bzfSDL.h to set the include directory. When I compile, I get this output:
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_init.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_init.c
C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_init.c In function `get_iphlpapi_dns_info':
334 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_init.c [Warning] use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_mkquery.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_mkquery.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_parse_a_reply.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_a_reply.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_parse_ptr_reply.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_parse_ptr_reply.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_query.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_query.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdio.h:399, from .\src\c-ares\ares_search.c In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399, from ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_search.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_search.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_send.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_send.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_strerror.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_strerror.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_strerror.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_timeout.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_timeout.c
6 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdio.h:399, from .\src\c-ares\windows_port.c In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399, from ../src/c-ares/windows_port.c
6 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\windows_port.c from ../src/c-ares/windows_port.c
10 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\io.h:20, from C:\Dev-Cpp\include\unistd.h In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/io.h:20, from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/unistd.h
20 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\unistd.h:10, from .\src\c-ares\ares__close_sockets.c from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/unistd.h:10, from ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c
20 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__close_sockets.c from ../src/c-ares/ares__close_sockets.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__get_hostent.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares__get_hostent.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\stdio.h:399, from .\src\c-ares\ares__read_line.c In file included from C:/Dev-Cpp/include/stdio.h:399, from ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares__read_line.c from ../src/c-ares/ares__read_line.c
16 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_cancel.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c
16 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_cancel.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_cancel.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_destroy.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_destroy.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_destroy.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_expand_name.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_name.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_expand_string.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_expand_string.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_fds.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_fds.c
23 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_free_hostent.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c
23 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_free_hostent.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_hostent.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares.h:21, from .\src\c-ares\ares_free_string.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares.h:21, from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c
18 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_free_string.c from ../src/c-ares/ares_free_string.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_gethostbyaddr.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyaddr.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_gethostbyname.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_gethostbyname.c
17 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\c-ares\ares_process.c In file included from ../src/c-ares/ares_process.c
C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzflag\NewVersionMenu.cxx In member function `virtual void NewVersionMenu::finalization(char*, unsigned int, bool)':
179 C:\Dev-Cpp\bzflag-2.06\src\bzflag\NewVersionMenu.cxx [Warning] cannot pass objects of non-POD type `const struct std::string' through `...'; call will abort at runtime
All of the executables compiled, most with errors. The workaround that I had to do stemmed from the fact that I put the SDL header files in a folder called SDL/ which was the old way that the SDL header files were arranged. This pretty much sums up what I did for compiling.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Those actually aren't errors. All of those are simply warnings, which, as you know, don't affect compilation.
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Some further questions...

Post by UL_Approved »

Well, you asked if it was a perfect compile :oops:, and those were the full results.

On another subject, do I need all of the DLL files such as airspawn.dll, chathistory.dll, etc., under the Dev-C++ compile of the executables? And what do I need to do for a NSIS script to include all of the functionality of the official MSVC 7.1 version release?
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I know, I know :) I did ask for a perfect compile, so it's okay you gave me what I asked for :)

As for the .dll's, those are the plugins and I have yet to know how to have those work with Dev-C++ builds, so I can't help much there. As for the NSIS scripts, I am very inexperienced with NSIS scripting therefore I can't answer much (someone else fill in for me please!), but I can say that the executables go to their source directories, as you know, if that means anything. Ex. /src/bzflag/bzflag.exe
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

I tried running the executable...

Post by UL_Approved »

I tried running the executable for bzflag.exe which I compiled. Some video options such as the anisotropic effects and a list of several video refresh rates were missing. It apparently defaulted to 60Hz refresh rate. Also, the cursor was not skinned and was the default Windows cursor. It seemed to be stable and surprisingly smooth in most cases. I think that if these issues were ironed out, this would be a better release than the VC 7.1 binaries.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Maybe, but as for the graphics problems I strongly doubt that is due to compilation. As for exactly what causes it I can't be sure, but compilation is what I would least likely think its due to.
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Well, thank you Lan

Post by UL_Approved »

I must say thank you to Lan for the help, it really was nice. As for the Dev-C++ branch of BZFlag, who is officially in charge of maintaining it? And does anyone know exactly what files should be included for a MinGW-SDL installation? I could write a NSIS script if I knew.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

No need to thank me, I was glad to do it. I am the maintainer of the Dev-C++ files. As for what is required for a Mingw-SDL build, SDL.dll is needed as well as libcurl.dll, if such libraries aren't statically linked (could be, but I'd include these anyway as they certainly could not be). BZFS.exe and bzadmin.exe and bzadmin-curses.exe are standalone apps and don't require any other files.

The documentation and data files are also needed in a package. The docs are just man2html outputs of the man files in /man/, as you may know. Man2html is located in the /misc/ directory of source releases, as you also may know. Other than that, there is nothing else that I can recall.
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Many thanks

Post by UL_Approved »

This helps me out a lot. Well, is there any way that I can submit a NSIS script for the Dev-C++ version into the CVS repository? This could be a nice item for people using the MinGW-Dev-C++-SDL builds. I am unsure about the bzflag.exe.manifest file, and commented out that line in the installer. I also copied the bzfsAPI.lib from the MSVC installation. What would be necessary for a Dev-C++ static library to be compiled instead of the static .lib file? A provisional version is attached to this thread.
Attachments
BZFlag_DevCpp.zip
This is a NSIS script for the Dev-C++ builds of bzflag.exe, bzfs.exe, and bzadmin.exe
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

To get the NSIS file into the CVS repository, it needs to work perfectly the first time run and be ready to be run correctly the first try and do a complete job, of course. If you are listed as a developer, go ahead and commit it when you are ready in the /Dev-C++/ folder. If not, hand it to me and I will do it for you, and add your name (real name or handle, your choice) to the changelog. It shouldn't be too much to maintain but if the need ever arises I'll keep accepting them :)

The bzfsAPI.lib is not useable for Dev-C++ builds as it is a Visual C++ thing (Dev-C++ uses .a formats, which are substitutes for .lib's). Plugins for Dev-C++ built BZFS currently do not work, as I have yet to figure out how BZFS is to be built to have all the extra stuff built (clearly I know absolutely nothing, not even the terminology :) Patches welcome), so I can't answer much on building a bzfsAPI.lib for Dev-C++ yet.

All in all, a Dev-C++ package should mimic the VC++ package (the Win32 release on sf.net), excluding plugin .dll's and the API stuff (as above said, this is not yet implemented for Dev-C++ builds).
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Here is the finished Dev-C++ NSIS script

Post by UL_Approved »

A working version without the VC71 static libraries is included in this thread. I added a provision for a future API based on a bzfs.a file instead of bzfs.lib. I am not listed as a developer, so I will either need to be added to that list, or you will need to post it for me Lan. Also, it would be nice to add .nsi files to the allowed list for the forum file types.
Attachments
BZFlag_DevCpp.zip
This is the finished version of the NSIS script for a complete Dev-C++ distribution.
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Post it again, it doesn't seem to be showing anything attached.
UL_Approved
Private First Class
Private First Class

Try it again, sam...

Post by UL_Approved »

The forums weren't hosting attachments for a while. I tried downloading it just at the time of this post and it worked. I also used 7-Zip to compress it. That may help.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Awesome, great work! I commited it to HEAD, and added your user name to NEWS. Tell me if you would like your real name added instead, and I'd be glad to correct it.

I couldn't add it to v2_0branch as there is no new development allowed in that branch, and I felt this was too significant of a change to commit it there.
Last edited by Lan on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Awesome, great work! I commited it to HEAD and added your user name to NEWS. Tell me if you would like your real name added instead, and I'd be glad to correct it.

I couldn't add it to v2_0branch as there is no new development allowed in that branch, and I felt this was too significant of a change to commit it there.