Server deleting

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers

Should they delete some servers if it gets really long?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 22

MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server deleting

Post by MonsterMan++ »

They should delete the ones that aren't used for something like 5 or 10 days because it would end up taking too long to scroll through ALL the servers, like at the moment there are 20 pages of servers!

Please tell all your opinion. 8)
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

NO

They are privately hosted, you can't remove them, noone owns all the Bzflag servers. Anyone can host anything. (respectively)

Some servers are not used for 5-10 days, such as league servers, or team servers.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Win Xp wrote:NO

They are privately hosted, you can't remove them, noone owns all the Bzflag servers. Anyone can host anything. (respectively)

Some servers are not used for 5-10 days, such as league servers, or team servers.
agreed
not all servers are as popular as vipers or badgerkings - they have there moments
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I don't think there should be any servers deleted.

However, before putting up MORE servers, I think people should find out what other people want and put a really well put together server up.

For example, silvercat, norang, and so many other servers have incredible website setups or copsetups and such.

Make your server different from all of the same ol' same ol'.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

that wouldn't be exactly the most possible thing either, it's not like someone can hack all the servers and shut 'em down, they are hosted by many indiviguals, not by one giant host.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I agree and disagree. If your server is lame and not getting any traffic, I think you should take it down, it just takes up space on the list server. However, everybody has their right to keep their server up as long as they want, because it is their server.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

There is a way to filter servers at the list server level, but I don't think it should be used except for abusive servers (ex, bad words in the name).

But, before putting up any new servers, ask yourself this: "How will I be different? How can I be better? Will people really play at mine? Is one more server to the list worth it?"
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

you have trouble finding a server, use the new 2.0.6 "server search"

press / on the server selection screen and type some stuff. it searches the address and the public description.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Kooseefoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kooseefoo »

Definitely a no -- isn't that the idea of open-source -- everybody gets a shot at pitching in?

Also, we should try to stay as open as possible to increase our user base, right-o?
:D
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Server deleting

Post by cosmos »

MonsterMan++ wrote:They should delete the ones that aren't used for something like 5 or 10 days because it would end up taking too long to scroll through ALL the servers, like at the moment there are 20 pages of servers!

I think they should delete you instead.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Re: Server deleting

Post by Winny »

cosmos wrote:
MonsterMan++ wrote:They should delete the ones that aren't used for something like 5 or 10 days because it would end up taking too long to scroll through ALL the servers, like at the moment there are 20 pages of servers!

I think they should delete you instead.

nice.....
AGeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AGeek »

my idea is to not display servers with no players. So that servers with only observers and no tanks or completely empty servers do not show on the list. The server owners know where their server is, so if they want to start it up they can put in the location manually.

that would dramatically reduce the length of the server list!
and allow people to keep their servers up.
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

QuickTim wrote:my idea is to not display servers with no players. So that servers with only observers and no tanks or completely empty servers do not show on the list. The server owners know where their server is, so if they want to start it up they can put in the location manually.

that would dramatically reduce the length of the server list!
and allow people to keep their servers up.
Then no one would start a game by joining a empty server, because they couldn't see it listed.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Maybe a set of advanced filters (filter by player count, filter by map, filter by server address, server name, etc). would do the trick. The filter now is fine, but it's not real powerful.
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

i was going with rpgs idea, but he beat me too it. my other idea would be to cut the list in half... and have it load the second half as a user gets to them (or page by page). maybe even have it load the pages with users and the first few after that (to fill a page), then load X pages at a time as a user moves through them (4 pages with users, loaded with 5 empty because it fills page 4. then load user preference of pages after, so maybe 5 as an average.)

dunno :)

-pyr0
kahcepb[RU]
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kahcepb[RU] »

@RPG: not real powerful? Unfiltered list is sorted by player count. Filter it using any substring (part of server name, map author, description or port address if you wish). Do anyone _really_ need more?

The only thing is coming to mind is some sort of favorite list (independent of cached server list, stored locally and usable in periods of list server outage).
Player can make it as short/long as (s)he wish.

@MM++:Voted no. Pointless topic, sorry.