Timing Issue

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Timing Issue

Post by LouMan »

Does anyone know if it is possible to exactly synchronize a world weapon with an alpha sequence in a dynamic color definition? I am trying to create a numeric countdown (animated using alpha sequence - similar to the butterfly in Mystic Valley) that will count down the seconds to a world weapon. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, zap.

I have completed all of the sequences correctly (I think) and I have timed the world weapon correctly (I think), but the timing always seems to be off when I run the map. Does this have to do with the initialization of timed based events in bzfs? If so, is there any way around it?
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

I don't know the answer, but I am also curious about this myself, as I have had a similar idea. I should think it would be possible. Maybe you could just do a simple test, less complex than what you are trying now. put a box or something with your dynamic color sequence, then put a world weapon timed to fire with the same sequence as the dynamic color and see what happens. (or maybe you have already tried that...)

Could you somehow do your countdown with a custom texture and a textureMatrix? Or maybe even two texturematrices moving at right angles to each other?
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

LouMan

Post by LouMan »

I spoke with trepan about this and it is not really possible - the timing for the world weapons is cumulative, not based on the same timing as dynamic colors. I will pursue other methods of warning about the world weapon - maybe another 'harmless' world weapon to signal the damaging world weapon.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ClayOgre »

Bummer...Oh well.
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

You could maybe do a "progress bar" sort of thing with exploding GM shots. Fire them straight into a wall (an invisible one, perhaps) so they explode on the spot... fire one, two, three, four, five, alongside each other to give warning, it it would look like:

o
oo
ooo
oooo
ooooo
<boom>

That's the closest thing I can think of.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

I have settled on tilted GM world weapons (I call them 'warning flares' on my textured signs in the map) - 5 shots fire 1 second apart, 15 seconds before the damaging world weapon fires. This should give some warning with sound and visuals so that players can try to move away from the area (in less than 15 seconds).