I threw 7-8 bots at hepcat by accident :-(

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

I threw 7-8 bots at hepcat by accident :-(

Post by goblin »

Hi,

Yesterday I threw 7-8 bots at a hepcat.org server. It was an accident, I've got 2 icons for BZFlag, and I picked the wrong one (the one I use for solo playing), and connected to hepcat. Before I realized what was going on, I was banned (which was totally OK, since I probably was ruining the game for the other players - If you're reading this, please accept my apology, I didn't mean to mess things up, and I've learned my lesson).

Now I'm looking for a hepcat.org admin to apologize to, and Googling suggests that I look at http://bzflag.hepcat.org. Unfortunately, this address doesn't answer.

Anyone who can tell me how to contact a hepcat.org admin?
Tank you!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Send a private message to cosmos. He's the server owner over there.
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

LOL!! :lol-old:
Someone told me that they brought 125 bots onto lasermania, crash the server and I saw another guy while I was playing bring on 130 bots because he was bored! :shock:

I'm not sure how to get bots, the guy told me but they weren't clear instructions. :wink:
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Use of _disableBots on most big servers should kick any bots instantly... Odd that you'd be banned for it.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

Constitution wrote:Send a private message to cosmos. He's the server owner over there.
Thank you.

I got in touch with cosmos through another person, and we sorted things out.
Tank you!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

L4m3r wrote:Use of _disableBots on most big servers should kick any bots instantly... Odd that you'd be banned for it.
I think Hepcat doesn't/didn't have it on because of usage of a bot or something like that.

_disableBots works grand 8)

Which brings to mind...hmm...*starts new topic*
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

Hey ducati is anyone allowed to use _disableBots because I would like to stop the idiots bringing them onto good servers and wrecking the game!
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

only on the servers commands... and yes, hepcat does allow bots because there is sometimes 1 bot playing on the server to keep the single person who joins from leaving right away, this tends to help because before he gets bored, a second person comes, then a third, and so on... by the time he leaves, the servers on page 1 of public and people begin joining more and more
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: I threw 7-8 bots at hepcat by accident :-(

Post by cosmos »

goblin wrote:Hi,

Yesterday I threw 7-8 bots at a hepcat.org server. It was an accident, I've got 2 icons for BZFlag, and I picked the wrong one (the one I use for solo playing), and connected to hepcat. Before I realized what was going on, I was banned (which was totally OK, since I probably was ruining the game for the other players - If you're reading this, please accept my apology, I didn't mean to mess things up, and I've learned my lesson).

Now I'm looking for a hepcat.org admin to apologize to, and Googling suggests that I look at http://bzflag.hepcat.org. Unfortunately, this address doesn't answer.

Anyone who can tell me how to contact a hepcat.org admin?
You got banned for a set time period by one of the admins with a quick trigger finger :D

i currently allow bots for the purpose of drawing players but am working on some kind of server automated bots that can leave when real players begin playing and not allow -solo
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

cosmos wrote:I currently allow bots for the purpose of drawing players but am working on some kind of server automated bots that can leave when real players begin playing and not allow -solo
We've had similar problems at planet mofo- we run roger-bots on some servers and like to use autopilot, but don't like letting random ass-hats bring half a dozen bots.

To deal with this, I wrote a plugin that kicks anyone who brings -solo bots. If you want, I can release it (and maybe add something that will let you allow -solo bots from a certain IP).
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

L4m3r wrote: We've had similar problems at planet mofo- we run roger-bots on some servers and like to use autopilot, but don't like letting random ass-hats bring half a dozen bots.

To deal with this, I wrote a plugin that kicks anyone who brings -solo bots. If you want, I can release it (and maybe add something that will let you allow -solo bots from a certain IP).
I think I speak on behalf of all us "random ass-hats", when I say that it's a good idea if this plugin is released and used at servers.
It would be really nice for a random ass-hat like myself, that a BZFlag server admin (who never has and never will make a single mistake in his or her entire life), is thinking ahead and doing what any sane server admin usually does, namely prevent actions that are not wanted at the particular server.
;-)
Tank you!
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

goblin wrote: think I speak on behalf of all us "random ass-hats", when I say that it's a good idea if this plugin is released and used at servers.
It would be really nice for a random ass-hat like myself, that a BZFlag server admin (who never has and never will make a single mistake in his or her entire life), is thinking ahead and doing what any sane server admin usually does, namely prevent actions that are not wanted at the particular server.
;-)
by "random ass hats" I don't mean the people who do it by accident; I mean the ones who do it to troll or mess around. I think most people know that's it's not exactly polite to bring bots to a public server that's not yours.