Match length - Importance survey - Please VOTE!

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.

How important is the match length to your participation in the Ducati League?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:36 am

0 - Not important / I don't know / I don't care
No votes
1 - Little importance
31%
2 - Some importance
31%
3 - Important
38%
4 - Very important
No votes
5 - Crucial
No votes

Total votes: 13

goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Match length - Importance survey - Please VOTE!

Post by goblin »

In a recent post I suggested the addition of an importance survey connected to each poll, so that we can get an indication of how important a specific topic is to people, as an addition to their preferences.
The importance index should aid us in determing where we get most benefit from our efforts.

Just because people have an opinion on match lengths, it doesn't mean that its crucial to their participation in the league. Importance indexes should clear that point.

So I've made this importance survey to see how important this is to people, and to test and showcase importance surveys. It's set to run for 10 days.

You may think of the numbers in front of the importance indicator in this way if it helps you answer:
  • 0 = 0% important (that is, not important at all)
    1 = 20% important
    2 = 40% important
    3 = 60% important
    4 = 80% important
    5 = 100% important
I hope you will participate, and leave a comment on this specific survey and on importance surveys in general. Thank you.
Tank you!
Xell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Xell »

Thats a good idea, goblin! But the question seems a bit weird.
I doubt anyone would say this is to 100% important for his participation.
goblin wrote:Just because people have an opinion on match lengths, it doesn't mean that its crucial to their participation in the league
No, it's not and nobody would say that. The fact is, the leage needs some new and fresh things, like the thing about the match time. But it is not the only factor, maybe just one out of 10. Thus, it would be hard to say that this is the factor which decides about if i take part or not. I would rather form a question like "How important is the match lenght for making the league more attractive to you?" Just an idea.
But no offense, maybe it just misunderstood your post.
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

Xell wrote:Thats a good idea, goblin! But the question seems a bit weird.
I doubt anyone would say this is to 100% important for his participation.
Thanks for the feedback, Xell!
I've read a posting somewhere that "somebody knew someone" who couldn't participate because of the current match length. So match length is crucial to this "someone", at least that's my understanding.
But it's not important that we know that "somebody knows someone" who feels like this. The important thing is that we use the same scale for all questions about importance. And we can't rule out that something is crucial for some player beforehand, so the 100% is a must. The entire scale from 0% to 100% must be within the possible choice range so to speak, even if we feel that something possibly can be crucial to anybody - we might be in for a surprise and some learning points.
Xell wrote:
goblin wrote:Just because people have an opinion on match lengths, it doesn't mean that its crucial to their participation in the league
No, it's not and nobody would say that. The fact is, the leage needs some new and fresh things, like the thing about the match time. But it is not the only factor, maybe just one out of 10. Thus, it would be hard to say that this is the factor which decides about if i take part or not. I would rather form a question like "How important is the match lenght for making the league more attractive to you?" Just an idea.
But no offense, maybe it just misunderstood your post.
I could very well have used your suggested question - it actually seems to fit better in the current discussion of how to improve the league.

Your suggestion of 10 factors of improvement also seems to fit right in together with the importance surveys.
I figure it like this:
Ducati council extracts 20-or-so possible action points that people think would improve the league. Ducati discusses those action points and finds 10 feasible action points they believe the most in. These are voted upon, both the classic poll and importance survey. Ducati council will then, by the end of the survey, sit with a list of action points that are very concrete and prioritized. And if some of the action points are voted as being quite unimportant to people, we can just skip them and feel happy about not having wasted any effort on something that is not improving the league to the players.
And we even get some kind of democratic konsensus about what to do, how to do it, and the attached priorities!
Tank you!
zongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zongo »

I agree with u goblin, and i think it's very important to give priorities...unfortunately (and ironically) few people find your poll important...:)

I myself think that rediscussion of rules page, of faq page, seasonal league and point ladder are much more important than match lenght and cap limit for example.
visit http://1vs1.bzleague.com
and dub's site http://dub.bzleague.com
join #dub channel on irc!
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

zongo, thanks for the feedback!

The poll seems to agree with you on the importance issue. The poll is now over (I set it to 10 days), and the result indicates that, yes, match times are important to some degree (who wants to play for 2 minutes or less - or 2 hours or more?) but as long match times are on a reasonal level the exact minute count is not that important.

So if Ducati council has to prioritize between actions, I consider this one low to medium priority.

Note that this is my personal interpretation of the poll result. Other interpretations are possible and welcome!
Tank you!