Cops

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Bot1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cops

Post by Bot1 »

i need to know every little detail straight up from the beginning how to put into my server what to do to make certain people cops and what should be put in to authorize the cops upon arrival
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

I heard that cops don't really happen anymore...normally it's only admins that do anything.
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

1. Go to this post.. http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=266
2. Request your groups.. at least 4
3. when they get made, add them in your .conf with the -groupdb command. Here's what mine looks like -groupdb /users/delusional/bzfiles/groupsall.txt
4. Next you need to make a plain text file that specifies exactly which permissions each group gets.
5. Add player names to your groups via the usergroups link at the top of any bzbb page.

Your first group Bot1.ADMIN will have ONLY YOU in it. That will be the only group that gets SHUTDOWNSERVER perms
Your second group Bot1.COP will have you, plus your most trusted cops in it. Give this group permissions like SETVAR that may possibly screw up your server, if non-trusted users use it.
Your third group Bot1.MINICOP will allow semi-trusted cops to kick and ban, not much else.
Your fourth group will be an extra, in case you need it later.

Here's an example of a group file. you see how each group has each permission set out for it. You can use the same permissions in different groups, and you can use groups that you don't control. (so if you put MOFO.COP in your groups, all the mofo cops would be cops on your servers.)
The EVERYONE group is all players, registered or not, and must have SPAWN permission. The VERIFIED group, is registered players only. (you don't need to request these 2 groups)

EVERYONE:LAGSTATS ADMINMESSAGESEND SPAWN TALK FLAGHISTORY SAY

VERIFIED:FLAGHISTORY PRIVATEMESSAGE ACTIONMESSAGE ADMINMESSAGESEND

MOFO.ADMIN SHUTDOWNSERVER

DELUSIONAL.COP:IDLESTATS SETVAR LAGSTATS FLAGMOD FLAGHISTORY KICK BAN BANLIST UNBAN PLAYERLIST POLL VOTE VETO PRIVATEMESSAGE ACTIONMESSAGE KILL ADMINMESSAGESEND ADMINMESSAGERECEIVE SPAWN TALK SAY MUTE UNMUTE ANTIBAN ANTIPOLL ANTIPOLLBAN ANTIPOLLKICK ANTIDEREGISTER REJOIN SAY FLAGMASTER

As you can see, my cops are very trusted. You probably don't need to give your cops FLAGMASTER or SETVAR, but it's up to you. I don't give anyone else POLL or VOTE, that's my preference. Most servers allow VERIFIED to VOTE.

Just make sure EVERYONE gets spawn, and talk, and the file is in plain text format so bzfs can read it, you'll be fine.

EDIT:
I had some special perms in there for my racetoseven plugin, MATCHSTART MATCHEND MATCHCONFIG, I removed them.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Mudsquisher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re:

Post by Mudsquisher »

MonsterMan++ wrote:I heard that cops don't really happen anymore...normally it's only admins that do anything.
i may be wrong but i am pretty sure that monsterman is wrong, cops are still out there. i do not know how to make cops, but who ever you pick, becareful. =]
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Cops

Post by clarahobbs »

"Cop" is only a term used to refer to an admin with less power than others. There is really nothing special about being a cop, often they have almost no privileges more than a normal player.
FKA Ratfink
Mudsquisher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mudsquisher »

Ratfink wrote: often they have almost no privileges more than a normal player.
I would like to say that cops do have privileges. They can ban and kick players, normal players will need to make a poll to do so. Also admins will look and may take actions on requests or reports from cops. You always need admins, just to make it safe and good but cops are also great too. One metaphor is admins are like the president and a cop, is well like a cop. :P Having both,admin and cops will make a server safe, good, and keep cheaters out!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Mudsquisher wrote: I would like to say that cops do have privileges. They can ban and kick players, normal players will need to make a poll to do so.
This is entirely dependent on how the server is set up. In truth 'cop' is a completely arbitrary word that has come about to denote a person with less privileges than an 'admin' (and in most places 'admin' is arbitrary too.) You could set it up so that your 'cops' could only kick, and not ban, or any other combination of permissions. The server's permissions system is pretty versatile, you can micro-manage lots of different permissions for different groups.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon