Match Times - Please VOTE!

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.

Match Length

Poll ended at Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:20 pm

30 minute matches only, like it is now
15%
20 minutes matches only
6%
15/20/30 minute matches, to be agreed upon by both teams before starting
70%
other (please post your suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 54

mistake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mistake »

30 min is a magical number (the league started with that and always had that), people played 30 min for years now.
and this means it can't be changed?
every one thinks its to long and we have to use only 15 or 20min
I thought that is the reason for a different match length, 30 min seemed to long for some.
mistake
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

and this means it can't be changed?
why would you do that if it was fine for so long, just adding an option to have some difference is good
I thought that is the reason for a different match length, 30 min seemed to long for some
well let the players decide about that.
I keep my thought anyway: one number = 30
but i rather like the suggestiong that you let the players decide what number they want, its the most fair anyway
mistake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mistake »

why would you do that if it was fine for so long
Cause i gathered from peoples post that 30 min matches is an issue. I think this is why the match length issue was brought up in teh first place.
but i rather like the suggestiong that you let the players decide what number they want, its the most fair anyway
and I wanted to point out that different optional match length may give us problems later. Nothing more, nothing less. I think its a valid point.
Last edited by mistake on Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistake
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

and I wanted to point out that it may give us problems later.
we will see that when the time is there, in the mean time give it a try?
AlexanderTheGreat
Private First Class
Private First Class

uh...i'd love to vote...but how???????

Post by AlexanderTheGreat »

i don't see any place to vote. :(

HELP!

oh..does that mean i voted already? :roll:
gu jumpy league: ForestForce (FF)
Xell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: uh...i'd love to vote...but how???????

Post by Xell »

AlexanderTheGreat wrote:i don't see any place to vote. :(

HELP!

oh..does that mean i voted already? :roll:
Either that, or the time is over :?:
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

Well even if there was 10 days left I think the results are obvious aren't they? People want 15/20/30 minute matches.
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
zongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zongo »

This poll obviously was too messy...

After rereading all posts i see that most people vote 15/20/30 because it was the more open otpion but many of them would have preferred 20/30 or 15/30 games.

Now, i have no problem in playing 30 min games. If i dont have time, i dont bother, i'll match later. I havent started the poll but it was started since some players said that 30 min is too long.

After thinking about it i shall agree here with leviathan, mistake and Chestal. A single match lenght is the best solution imo. Shorter (20 min or 15 min) if u really think that 30 is too much.

I predict that if we allow different match lenghts the shorter lenght will be the most played. I'd prefer to see 20 or 30 min games and people agreeing on the end if one player has to leave. (and it happened several times that a game ended after 25 min or so)

So i am pretty sure that among the 38 persons that voted the 15/20/30 option, many of them have a different opinion right now (like me...)

A new better poll is maybe necessary? (dont wanna waste your time though)
visit http://1vs1.bzleague.com
and dub's site http://dub.bzleague.com
join #dub channel on irc!
Xell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Xell »

zongo wrote: After thinking about it i shall agree here with leviathan, mistake and Chestal. A single match lenght is the best solution imo. Shorter (20 min or 15 min) if u really think that 30 is too much.
There were two options containing only one available match length, only 11 per cent voted for it.
Talisman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Talisman »

One match length, i don't believe in revolution#13
chtibidasse
Private First Class
Private First Class

In a perfect bz-world...

Post by chtibidasse »

... we would choose before a match how long it will last. Players agree before and just choose. Why don't have 5 minutes matches? And, more,why not having a 24H endurance match (sub allowed...)?

(All this with 6 players per team, of course; I really love the 6-6 test map.)

The only thing is to link the match lenght with the "enjeu" (it's a french world I don't know in english. It means something close to prize/award/ value/given points) of the match. If it's possible to play a 2 hours mega-match, it should give (or take) much more "points" than the 5 minutes mini-match.

Otherwise, of course everybody (exept real weired old school players maybe... :P) will play short matches to increase the points quickly, and the classification would mean nothing.

And OF COURSE in a perfect world, all this would be done without complicate the rules...

Hope this is understandable.

Chtibidasse :turtle:

PS: Could please someone tell me where the perfect world is?..
conan
Private First Class
Private First Class

where went the voting form?

Post by conan »

where went the voting form?
i want to vote! 15/20/30 option
conan
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: where went the voting form?

Post by goblin »

conan wrote:where went the voting form?
i want to vote! 15/20/30 option
If you can't vote then it's either because you already have voted and forgotten all about it, or because the voting is closed because there has been set a fixed time period for the poll.

goblin
Tank you!
Xell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Xell »

chtibidasse wrote: The only thing is to link the match lenght with the "enjeu" (it's a french world I don't know in english. It means something close to prize/award/ value/given points) of the match. If it's possible to play a 2 hours mega-match, it should give (or take) much more "points" than the 5 minutes mini-match.
It would be possible, you could set a match length of 30 minutes as standart, i.e. the teams will get/lose 100% of the score if they play a match over 30 minutes. For example: easy_kill vs SNT 5-1, which would cause a score change of +-15 if they played the normal match length. But if they agreed to play a match over 15 minutes, the score change would only be the half of the normal change, means 7.5 ( has to be 7 or 8 after rounding off/up )
Such a formula could surely be integrated into the league page, but i'm afraid it will make things too complicated. The other solution would be: the same formula for all match lengths. That would be less circuitous.
plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

maybe they could add 25 minutes in there? rememeber, some people are really strict ont time and every minute counts. Some people dont match because they are short of 4, 3, or 2 minutes, what ever, the most possiblities=the best in my opinion.
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

as addition, look at the pool and the number of votes for 15/20 AND 30 min
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

I think it's a good thing to also allow 15/20/25/30 matches. If the players want it why not ..
And if both teams agree there should be no problem. Less then 15 min is to short to match
imho ... but thats just my personal opinion.
Yeah, I wonder , if 15/20/30 had the most votes .. why was it never implemented that way ?
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

isnt the council there to do what people want, and not what they want ? 8) the vote looks pretty clear to me
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

Not sure anymore why the council is there , I just would find it great if

1) 15/20/25/30 matches are allowed
2) extra non-accel limited ducati match servers are allowed and also someone
who is willing to host them. ;)

That's info I got from some players , I just pass it through ...

I guess teams can come to an agreement to play where and how long without
needing a babysit. :)

Please I want feedback on this ..
sussi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussi »

• Any match times between 15 and 30 minutes to cover the broken matches.
    An extra "highly accelerated public server" (e.g. 2 times faster than the current settings)
    An extra "classic style public server" ( e.g. 2 times restrictive settings)

To keep a slow but continous rate (development) in change of the apperance of the ducati-league
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

catay: Yeah, I wonder , if 15/20/30 had the most votes .. why was it never implemented that way ?
birdie: the vote looks pretty clear to me
Would someone from the council please explain why the match times were changed to 15/30 min, when the voting results were in favor of 15/20/30 min matches to the tune of 70%. I am curious, as are others, as to the reasoning behind your decision.
orange
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by orange »

kierra wrote:
catay: Yeah, I wonder , if 15/20/30 had the most votes .. why was it never implemented that way ?
birdie: the vote looks pretty clear to me
Would someone from the council please explain why the match times were changed to 15/30 min, when the voting results were in favor of 15/20/30 min matches to the tune of 70%. I am curious, as are others, as to the reasoning behind your decision.
Sure, there are a couple reasons, from my viewpoint.

First, as others have said, the poll options were not as clear as they could have been, and several people voted for 15/20/30 only because it was the closest to what they wanted. Some even stated that they only wanted 15/30, but voted for 15/20/30 because that was all there was.

Next, and far more importantly, the issue of adding different match lengths turned out to be extremely sensitive to many folks, both in and out of the council. Specifically, the discussion about whether or not to scale the ELO ratings (and subsequently, the season ladder points) kept coming down to evenly split votes. It wasn't a heated argument, just a very split group.

Having three different match lengths to discuss made that particular issue far more complicated, and in the interest of compromise and getting something going as a proof of concept, we all agreed to try adding 15-minute matches, without scaling, and see how things went.

Our intention had been to circle around on the scaling issue again and perhaps even try out the seasonal ladder with scaling of season points based on match length. But technical issues with the league code made that an undesirable option, and it appears the non-scaling method will probably stick.

Now that that has been 'decided' (by default, it seems), we're re-examining the choices of match length options, since the scaling issue isn't involved to complicate it. The re-opening of this public discussion has caused us to move this discussion up to right now, and there are, even as I type this, open polls on the issue.

Speaking for myself, I have found it interesting that having been entrusted with some small part of the league, my interest in trying to help preserve what ducati league is sometimes conflicts with my interest in "just giving people what they want". I think many others feel the same way. It's easy to come up with ideas and ways to change things, but once you really start thinking everything through, you find that the intertwining issues surrounding changes can have ramifications you did not expect.

If it seems like the DLC moves slowly on some things, that is because it does. Because for better or for worse, it moves with caution, and with a respect for what the league has been, and can be.

Most of this is just my perspective on the issue. I hope it helps.[/b]
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

and there are, even as I type this, open polls on the issue.
Is there a reason why those polls are no more on a public forum ?
Maybe it's possible to also setup a poll for the players ?
It's extra information the coucil can use when they form a decision.
If it seems like the DLC moves slowly on some things, that is because it does.
I don't have a problem with things going slow. It's better to do it slow and good.
But maybe it would be good to make the decision process or agenda of
the council a bit more transparent. That way the players have an idea which topics
are pending in the council. It would also allow the players to give some usefull
feedback. In other words , be a bit more open towards the players.

For example , I asked two questions, but it's not clear to me if
the council is actually looking in to it.
As I consider myself an active ducati player I would appreciate it If I got
some feedback on those things.

rgds.

catay
orange
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by orange »

For example , I asked two questions, but it's not clear to me if
the council is actually looking in to it.
As I consider myself an active ducati player I would appreciate it If I got
some feedback on those things.
A council member responded to your post. Why wouldn't you think we were lookiing into it?
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

A council member responded to your post. Why wouldn't you think we were lookiing into it?
Well, it was not entirely clear to me.
If you mean the post of Sussi , then somehow I didn't understand it well. My bad.