Pick-up championship

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pick-up championship

Post by Longhair »

Here's an incomplete thought that's been bouncing around in my little head:

I notice that there are a number of league members that aren't attached to a team, but still log in to the website, and seem to keep abreast of what's going on. How about we do a championship thing sort of like 1vs1 does every once in a while. Instead of using the existing teams, we figure out some way to either randomly or purposefully assign people who want to be involved (not mandatory) to a set of teams. Have the teams battle it out, and we have a winner after a few weeks.

The thing I like about it is that some of the people who are still unattached get a chance to play on a team, even if only for a brief time, and the rest of us get to play with people we wouldn't normally play with. I'm hoping that once we get people mixed together a bit, they'll feel less shy about forming a team. Perhaps some of the pick up teams would end up as regular teams as a result.

The downside, of course, is getting this all organized. I'd propose something like getting a list of interested people, assigning teams, and giving a time period for the teams to play a set amount of games. The team with the most points (earned from winning a match, like 1vs1 does it) in each group moves on to the semi-finals.

This is also something that could be a stand-alone event, not necessarily tied directly to the league.
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WoW, we can try that. I am with you Longhair. :)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Pick-up championship

Post by The Red Baron »

Longhair wrote:Here's an incomplete thought that's been bouncing around in my little head:

I notice that there are a number of league members that aren't attached to a team, but still log in to the website, and seem to keep abreast of what's going on. How about we do a championship thing sort of like 1vs1 does every once in a while. Instead of using the existing teams, we figure out some way to either randomly or purposefully assign people who want to be involved (not mandatory) to a set of teams. Have the teams battle it out, and we have a winner after a few weeks.

The thing I like about it is that some of the people who are still unattached get a chance to play on a team, even if only for a brief time, and the rest of us get to play with people we wouldn't normally play with. I'm hoping that once we get people mixed together a bit, they'll feel less shy about forming a team. Perhaps some of the pick up teams would end up as regular teams as a result.

The downside, of course, is getting this all organized. I'd propose something like getting a list of interested people, assigning teams, and giving a time period for the teams to play a set amount of games. The team with the most points (earned from winning a match, like 1vs1 does it) in each group moves on to the semi-finals.

This is also something that could be a stand-alone event, not necessarily tied directly to the league.
Longhair - You and I need to talk. IRC or AIM. But I need to get with you fast.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

I'll check in on IRC tonight, agent Smith.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Longhair wrote:I'll check in on IRC tonight, agent Smith.
I know you won't dissapoint me Mr. Anderson. :twisted:
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CapN »

Uh Oh sounds like TRB has been scheming up things!!! Look out!

I think it sounds like a fun idea. I think random drawing of teams would be interesting. Depending on how many sign up though you might want to do 3 on 3 matches, that could help minimize effects of some of the better players getting drawn on the same team.
goblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by goblin »

CapN wrote: I think it sounds like a fun idea. I think random drawing of teams would be interesting.
It would also demand other skills than just the technical skills of dodging and shooting, team building skills for example - I think it's a great idea, and I think it will improve the league.
Tank you!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

CapN wrote:Uh Oh sounds like TRB has been scheming up things!!! Look out!

I think it sounds like a fun idea. I think random drawing of teams would be interesting. Depending on how many sign up though you might want to do 3 on 3 matches, that could help minimize effects of some of the better players getting drawn on the same team.
Never mind me, I'm harmless, and innocent.
tokimi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tokimi »

The Red Baron wrote: Never mind me, I'm harmless, and innocent.
hmm? you sure? not last time i looked that wasnt the case.... but maybe I'm wrong :|
The very young do not always do as they are told, and the very old never listen any way.