missing gl.h with Linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
hottentot
Private First Class
Private First Class

missing gl.h with Linux

Post by hottentot »

Hi,

With both Mandriva Linux 2005 for x86 and Mandriva Linux 2006 for x86_64, I get the following error when I try to compile bzflag:

Code: Select all

configure: WARNING: Client build has been requested, but GL is not fully available (missing gl.h)
     ... disabling client generation
I have no idea why I get this error. The Nvidia Linux drivers are installed correctly (and OpenGL hardware acceleration works).

Executing locate gl.h gives the following output:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/gl.h
/usr/share/doc/lib64SDL1.2-devel-1.2.8/guidevideoopengl.html
/usr/share/mdk/mandrivagalaxy/mdkgalaxy-gl.html
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qgl.h
/usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h
/usr/include/SDL/SDL_opengl.h
Does somebody know how to solve this problem?

Greetings,
hottentot
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

ive had this error before, recompiling nvidia-kernel and nvidia-gld fixed it (i use gentoo, dont know how the equiv works on mandrake)

i recieved it once since, but once again, a simple recompile fixed it. sometimes x isnt configured right either, leading to this, you may need to check through the X config for it (usually located in /etc/X11/, in mine its xorg.conf, the standard in most linux OSs now). i noticed stock, mine didnt work right, it needed a tad bit of modification to get it all working with opengl properly. also, make sure the proper opengl is selected, stock X11 opengl env. dont usually like full on opengl programs like bz. so maybe its not in the nvidia opengl env. dont know how to do it on mandrake, ubuntu and debian took care of it for me, gentoo is usually touchy and does it once in a while, but im sure the command i use wouldnt work there since its gentoo specific.

maybe another linux junkie could think of other reasons or how to fix it, possibly even a mandrake lover?
hottentot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hottentot »

I tried to reinstall the Nvidia driver but i stil get the same error.

I think xorg is configured well as the OpenGL hardware acceleration works. It's also possible to compile other software that uses OpenGL so I guess it's a specific Bzflag problem.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

hottentot
I'm pretty sure you need the opengl-dev package (gl.h is OpenGL's source file - thus development). That is what I always have to install. Search for that in whatever Mandriva's package manager is (sometimes it may be called opengl-devel or similiar).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
hottentot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hottentot »

Thanks you! I thought that package was lib64xorg-x11-devel as it contains /usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h but when I red your post, i realized that there is something about a glu function (and not a gl function) in the configure file. So I installed mesa-glu-devel and now I don't get that error anymore. Thanks!
Kooppers
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kooppers »

hottentot :

Assuming you have configured correctly repos with per exemple easyurpmi.zarb.org web site .

Then open a konsole and run : urpmf gl.h
-> several packages will be found .... i don't remember which one to grab but think and guess, and you will get it (i don't have Mandriva anymore so can't say for sure which .rpm is the good one).

Regards, yums.