-set_shot_Kickback

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
dead metal 3121
Private First Class
Private First Class

-set_shot_Kickback

Post by dead metal 3121 »

I was wondering. If these were real tanks, wouldn't the shots kick the tanks back?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

It has been stated many times that this is a simple game..Tim R. would not allow this...

Also, that would be beyond annoying....
Last edited by Winny on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead metal 3121
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dead metal 3121 »

Well it was just a thought...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if they were real tanks they'd not be able to jump, not fire a glowing fuzzy ping pong ball, and not explode on the smallest of hits ;)
ImageJeffM
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

as much as shot kickback might make it more real... I doubt it would make much of a difference anyways, so I'm with Jeff and all of them here.

it is a neat idea, though.
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

JeffM2501 wrote:if they were real tanks they'd not be able to jump, not fire a glowing fuzzy ping pong ball, and not explode on the smallest of hits ;)
And bullets won't ricochet nor would you be able to go or shoot through walls.
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
Cedric.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cedric. »

Hmm.... He calls me Ceddie, he calls Jeff Jeffy, and now he's calling Tim Riker Timmy :roll:

Anyway, about the shot idea I don't really think this will be implemented in any future versions of BZFlag because of the fact that it would just become increasingly annoying
like Win XP said and the developers want to keep the game as creative as possible,
and refering to real laws of motion just isn't creative.
OMFG - Ontario Mega Finance Company
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Skeeve wrote:
JeffM2501 wrote:if they were real tanks they'd not be able to jump, not fire a glowing fuzzy ping pong ball, and not explode on the smallest of hits ;)
And bullets won't ricochet nor would you be able to go or shoot through walls.
Or fly. Or explode from instantly touching cetain water, but not any type of it. or explode upon traveling far or falling enough. or be controlled by a computer and mouse. Or..okay, I'll stop now.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Code: Select all

options
-set _shotKickBack "This is a game, not a real life simulation, cool idea though"
-c
-mp 5,5,5,5,5,5
-p 5154
end
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: -set_shot_Kickback

Post by Sky King »

dead metal 3121 wrote:I was wondering. If these were real tanks, wouldn't the shots kick the tanks back?
With the M60 and the M1, firing the main gun is a tooth-rattling, pants-wetting ordeal... OMG, your fillings hurt the first few times... US tank rounds have a tracer on the back of them, which is a bright reddish-orange dot visible for its entire flight. The tank commander spots where the round hit and gives the gunner corrections, just like a spotter does with a sniper. But, the recoil of the gun and physical percussion against the face and torso of the tank commander... It will take him at least 9-12 rounds of practice before he's able to track the tracer. Prior to that, the whole exprience is a surreal blur. My first tank gun firing as an enlisted guy, and my first parachute jump, later as an officer... I remember almost nothing of either one aside from thinking "doing this again seems like a bad idea."

Anyway, the rearward travel of the gun is 18 inches to 2 feet. However, the shot will not move the tank.

The M551 Sheridan, still in limited use by the 82nd Airborne, however, has a larger bore gun than the M1, and weighs around 14 tons, versus almost 70. Needless to say, when you fire a tank round from the Sheridan, the first 3 road wheels come completely off the ground, and the tank can move a few feet backwards. The torsion springs on the rear wheels often break from the recoil.

but the M60 and M1... no movement at all, at least on firm ground.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

^Whoa, didn't know you were in the military.

But let's not let the above comment (as in two lines above this one, not Sky King's post) drive the thread off topic.
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valoche »

We already had this conversation years ago :wink:

I remember I wrote a little patch to add recoil (which is the correct term, btw), but it's nothing more than annoying.

I dug a little in Sourceforge; here you go: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=303248
I submitted the patch on 07/23/2001... almost exactly 5 years ago :shock:
chickin
Private First Class
Private First Class

cool

Post by chickin »

Not to get off subject but how do you use the patch?

Chickin.