KeepScore plugin

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
macsforme
General
General

KeepScore plugin

Post by macsforme »

I have an idea for a new plugin. It would actually be quite simple. It seems that it must be frustrating for a really skilled player to get up to a score of 100+, then have his computer freeze, or get kicked for lag, etc. Also, in certain other game situations, it would be cool if you could keep your score, and keep building/taking away from your score across multiple sessions.

This plugin would do just that. It would load a player's score from a file when he joins up, then save it to a file when he leaves. Pretty simple. I would develop this plugin myself, but I want to get some feedback on the idea first (and make sure there aren't any plans to build this feature into a future client, or I wouldn't bother).

BTW, does anyone know if the current 2.0.x client accepts score updates from the server (I believe that the 2.1 code does)? Even if it was only done on login, this feature would really be necessary for this plugin to work.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

This has been suggested many times already, but it will not work right in 2.0.x clients. Basically anything that modifies players' individual scores is being held off until 2.2.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Gnurdux
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gnurdux »

Yes, that will never go into 2.0... but also: only do it for registered users :P
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

cool idea, but if a computer freezes, it can't save after it freezes, and it can't tell it's gonna freeze 'til it froze. so i don't see the use except to get higher scores, which, in itself, is pointless if your just gonna load the score from some file.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

What if you suck and don't want your score recorded ;)
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

RPG wrote:What if you suck and don't want your score recorded ;)
Have an option for that. Or just not record any negative scores. :P

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

cool then people with way more time to play (home schoolers, college students, etc..) then others can always be at the top and make it impossible for anyone to get even close to them ;)

think hard about the ramifications of what your talking about.
ImageJeffM
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

Tanner wrote:
RPG wrote:What if you suck and don't want your score recorded ;)
Have an option for that. Or just not record any negative scores. :P

-Tanner
/score reset?
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

me1 wrote:cool idea, but if a computer freezes, it can't save after it freezes, and it can't tell it's gonna freeze 'til it froze. so i don't see the use except to get higher scores, which, in itself, is pointless if your just gonna load the score from some file.
I think he ment saves to a file on the server as soon as the connection is lost with the client whether it be crash or disconnect...
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:I think he ment saves to a file on the server as soon as the connection is lost with the client whether it be crash or disconnect...
Precisely.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I think it could save the score but not for a too long. If the plugin keeps your score for more one week, you can get to huge scores even if you don't have skills.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You know... your score really isn't that important. Many players are so facinated with building up their score. To me my score is one of the least important things in the game. You should be confident enough in your playing skills, that your score really doesn't matter. In CTF I ignore my score completely and focus on the other teams flag, in FFA I really only use the vs scores for each individual player to change my strategy against individuals. If I am doing well against them I use a more aggressive playing style, if they are pwning me, I play a little more defensively. If I am playing a bunch of noobs, I play flagless. It helps their score (sometimes :p) and it improves my skill at the sametime, also it helps to not discourage them so much so maybe they stick around. At othertimes I may set a personal rule to get one kill per flag, after I get that kill I switch flags. I feel it makes me more versatile. You can see me at the top of the list, or at the bottom of the list, in both instances I am perfectly happy just to be having fun. Your score is just a number, it's really about how you play the game...
Last edited by joevano on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i'm against the idea. thanks to donny baker for saving me the time to explain why. score is nothing, thirst is everything.. also if bad surprises, frustrating things happen in real life, they should happen in bz too imo.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Some good thoughts, there. Score certainly isn't the most important thing in every situation. Still, a plugin like this might have its uses. I guess I'll have to think about it a little more.
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

donny_baker wrote:In CTF I ignore my score completely and focus on the other teams flag
Dodge for your life, though. ;)
Seriously, if you've ever seen me in a match (with ducatiwannabe, hopefully), I am at the bottom of the list (literally) yet out team score is 5-1... hmm...

Besides, you'll have to wait for 2.2. I think you'll have forgotten about this idea by then.

(Unless you make a note of it and read it every day!)