BZFlag World Cup (or whatever you like to call it)

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag World Cup (or whatever you like to call it)

Post by GMMan »

I had an idea about a week ago that there should be an annual tournament for all BZFlag players to compete with each other in a super big and fast server. There could be a FFA competition and a CTF competition. I'm wondering if this kind of thing had been discussed before, so before I write a whole bunch for nothing, I'm going to ask if such thing had been thought about.
Last edited by GMMan on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Which style would you play? I tend to believe GU, Mofo, ducati, pillbox are actually all different games. You cant play a GU-worldcup and say the winner is the best player of all game-styles. Everybody is specialized on one setup, so it is rather hard to organise such a tournament without certain people having disadvantages.

If you want competition, then join one of the various leagues out there. :wink:
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

That's not what I meant

Post by GMMan »

Coming back to this topic I posted about 15 days back.

What I mean isn't that I want to join a league (I don't play all day and probably will miss tournaments), what I mean is people fight each other around the world together. You just have to join the game at a specific time without belonging to a team and you just kill your opponents. The person with the highest score with the lowest shot ratio wins. There should be several of these games. At the end, the best players battle each other and the one who wins would be the champion.

For CTF, people just battle each other as normal and the one ending up winning the whole way through is the winner.

I don't think what I'm saying is possible, but this is just an idea for the future when internet speed reaches 500 GB/s.
Last edited by GMMan on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

I like this idea. An annual BZTournament for everyone...

Monthly, perhaps?
Bimonthly?
I would like to see this soon :D
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

simple yet so difficult

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

this thread touches upon the difficulty tourney due to various leagues or should i say styles. people these days just don't want to keep it simple in both tourney set up and tank game style...for whatever reasons.
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8367

the following is from chestals post about a tourney held in 2001, i do not believe there has been another since. anyone correct me if i am wrong please.

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... tournament
As some of you might still remember, Valoche and I organized a small tournament in October 2001. We played several rounds with 3 to 5 people in each match, where each tank was in a team of its own. The best scoring 2 or 3 tanks of each match made it to the next round. Assignment of players to matches was based on rank in previous round. This was all done on one evening. It was quite fun, but there were some problems:

We used IRC to synchronize players, which actually worked quite well. Valcohe and I had prepared some web pages already so we could publish the results of each match very quickly. Players had to register until a week or so before the tournament, but not everyone showed up and some palyrs had to leave during the tournament. The server didn't have a option to start the countdown manually, so we used a longer countdown and a policy where players were not allowed to move until 5 minute sintothe game. Of course, this never really worked... And I had far too much to do, participating in matches (until my computer crashed) and organizing the whole think.

The results are can still be seen at http://www.home.unix-ag.org/thilo/bzflag/
i argue that if another bzflag tourney is held, it should stay with this tank style and tourney format was so simple.

any player with minimal skill could certainly play on a 2 shot server in bzflag's most basic play style.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

But I like the Jump-in-and-Go type atmosphere he's talking about.

There could easily be 10 or so such tournaments, one for each format, and they could happen pretty often (Like once every month). Then, the winners' names would go up on right of the sign in screen until the next tourney. Granted this would require another version to come out with a place for listing their names, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

You'd have to omit such formats that involve teams, however, otherwise TKers wil converge on it like flies to a carcasse and that's the end of it.
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

Joe-Schmoe wrote:But I like the Jump-in-and-Go type atmosphere he's talking about.

There could easily be 10 or so such tournaments, one for each format, and they could happen pretty often (Like once every month). Then, the winners' names would go up on right of the sign in screen until the next tourney. Granted this would require another version to come out with a place for listing their names, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

You'd have to omit such formats that involve teams, however, otherwise TKers wil converge on it like flies to a carcasse and that's the end of it.
i agree with regarding teams. if individuals could just show up, enter their tank name (registered?) and battle. could work eh?
oi!
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

yes, I think global registration should be a minimum for entry. And probably registration at a site, which would have the scores.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

What if everybody matches in one style of play, next (set of) round(s) is a new style, and keep adding new styles and eliminating. The last player remaining is the King/Queen of BZ.
ludachris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ludachris »

Theme97 wrote:What if everybody matches in one style of play, next (set of) round(s) is a new style, and keep adding new styles and eliminating. The last player remaining is the King/Queen of BZ.
I like that idea :!:
:wink:

Aq.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

Theme97 wrote:What if everybody matches in one style of play, next (set of) round(s) is a new style, and keep adding new styles and eliminating. The last player remaining is the King/Queen of BZ.
I think it works better if everyone stays in every round (as opposed to being eliminated) and a score is kept to determine the winner. Sure, the winner has to be pretty good at every style...

But if you are better than me in 10 styles, but I can beat you in just one... then you may end up eliminated by someone who isn't nearly as good a player, and it's no consolation to you that the next round I was waxed... you're already gone.
ludachris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ludachris »

I think there could be 3 groups (FFA, HTR, CTF) then the person with the best overall score wins. :D

Aq.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Other things...

Post by GMMan »

Server:

I won't have a server to be able to host the tornament on. If anyone have a spare server that I might be able to host on would be appreciated.

Map:

Umm... Never made a map before. Should read map making tutorials if idea is finally approved.

I'm thinking that there should be a automatic response system. If someone registers, and there are still spots on the server for the battle, the player is going to be given a code to /identify on the server. The code should be five digits/letters. If there isn't space, I note is sent to say that there isn't space and in the next battle the player would be given the code and the date of battle. After that, the player will wait for the code. A notice will be sent when the battles for the month is over. Players only register once, so they will get the latest updates. They can opt out themselves if they don't want to participate anymore.

Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

GMMan, thats not really feasible, is it?
Why not just use global registration? It's already in place, rather reliable, and you know that a person is who they say they are (well, you never know that on the internet..).
ImageImage
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

I know, but...

Post by GMMan »

I know my methord is overkill, but what I don't want is people joining when it's not their time to. I don't want to manually kick people when I log on while other people are waiting to get on to the server.

P. S. What isn't feasible? Server, map, registration or all three?

GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

Ummm... Anyone still interested in this? I can't help not be able to host or make a map, but I at least can perhaps make a scorekeeping or a registration page...

Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

Sky King wrote:I think it works better if everyone stays in every round (as opposed to being eliminated) and a score is kept to determine the winner. Sure, the winner has to be pretty good at every style...

But if you are better than me in 10 styles, but I can beat you in just one... then you may end up eliminated by someone who isn't nearly as good a player, and it's no consolation to you that the next round I was waxed... you're already gone.
We want to find who's the best of the best. That can't mean just good at Ducati but then being bad at GU, you have to be the overall greatest. By trimming out the people who are bad (or not as good) at every style, we'll be left with somebody who is the best, not just some guy who plays Pillbox way too much.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Theme97 wrote:
Sky King wrote:I think it works better if everyone stays in every round (as opposed to being eliminated) and a score is kept to determine the winner. Sure, the winner has to be pretty good at every style...

We want to find who's the best of the best. That can't mean just good at Ducati but then being bad at GU, you have to be the overall greatest. By trimming out the people who are bad (or not as good) at every style, we'll be left with somebody who is the best, not just some guy who plays Pillbox way too much.
You just proved his point.

His logic was that if you can beat a player at 4/5 styles, but the one in the first round is that one the he will beat you at. So everyone should remain in for all of the rounds, instead of trimming the field after every round.
ImageImage
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Why is it mutually exclusive to have one overall champion and a few champions who are only good at one type?

If you hold two seperate sets of tournaments, then the people who play pillbox too much would drift into the "you only have to be good at pillbox" area, and then the all-around good guys would have more room to breath in their section as well.

So the guy who can only beat you in one type of round won't ever face you.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

Hmm... Good point. I never thought about that before. Perhaps we should crown the best at each catagory and the overall best player the king.

chickin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chickin »

I think we should have days for different types of play, like:
sat:GU
sun: hix
mon:FFA
tues: boxywar
wed: the 2 castles
thu: bzwar the 2 tanks
fri: ducati
ect...
and then you find the best of the catagorys and put then together:
sat:ducati
sun: hix
mon:boxywar
ect...
with the best competeing to see whos the best overall.. under stand?
mr manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

You are overlooking this:

Post by mr manalishi »

we could have a server w/ a plugin that must have at least 2 players to record scores. after a player logs off the score he got is posted. This way that same player can play on all styles and not get trimmed unless he scores bad in all 3 categories
Bot1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bot1 »

ok i HAVE discussed a bzflag championship before what should happen is everyone gets a certain number of lives, lets say 20. then were all in a series of servers.
-each map lasts 10 minutes |
--this is so in the end you can see how - --good you did in each style*
-20 lives per map |
-the maps are: HIX Ducati FFA Pillbox Overlord Babel and a random server
-your scores will be recorded by admins at the end of each map. the scores will be kept in a large spreadsheet, with name-kills-deaths-TKs-kills from teammates (OTK), and final score
-there will then be another spreadsheet for the final scores which will have your score for HIX-Ducati-FFA-Pillbox-Overlord-Babel-???-final(all scores added together, divided by number of maps[7])
-the person with the highest score is the winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!