Adapting to mouse

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Adapting to mouse

Post by GMMan »

Is there any way to make playing with mouse as easy as playing with keyboard? Can't adapt to the mouse that good. Thanks.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I've had the same problem, i am a heavy keyboard user since i have a laptop, but now i have bought a very nice mouse and would like to use it with bz. it would be nice if it was easy :P.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

make the mousebox smaller, then it takes less time to go from forward to reverse and back again. Thats about it, other than to just play.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

yes, but that will effect your accuracy negatively.

Use a medium to large size mousebox in your transition. It will help you adapt and adjust, then you can slowly scale down the size of the mousebok to a size of your desire.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

The Red Baron wrote:yes, but that will effect your accuracy negatively.

Use a medium to large size mousebox in your transition.
I agree. I am a 100% mouse player, and having experimentd, I have found a very large mouse box is best for me. The resolution or "granularity" of small mouse movements is much more precise with a large mouse box. Especially on games involving longer range sniping, that can make a huge difference. I have my mouse box set very large, so I can make very fine, precise movements, and have just gotten used to having to make larger mouse movements to really get my tank movin'.

Also, especially with an optical mouse--make sure you have a nice mousepad that works well with your particular mouse. The texture and color of the mousepad surface can contribute an extra level of precision.

And finally, some mouse software, like Microsoft Intellipoint, allow you to hot-key the mouse into a higher-precision "gaming" mode that turns mouse acceleration off and sets mouse sensitivity very low. This would take a bit of getting used to but once you've adapted to it, may make a big difference.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I had the same problem, tried a small box, lost accuracy, went to a bigger box, got fragged at least 1,000,000 times, and went back to the keyboard :cry:

I think the problem with me is instinctive. I often find myself trying to turn quickly and my cursor is only halfway as far as it can go.
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

maybe it should be big, then accopanied by a high res mouse. for the time that i had my razer working, it seemed fairly easy. but now razer has screwed up thier drivers for mac so i have to get another mouse :(
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

I know this back from 1982 or so, when I played "Attack of the mutant Camels" on my C64. You could play it with the keys that corrosponded to the joystick direction. They were located where in the upper left region of the keyboard. I was quite good in it. When I bought a Joystick, I couldn't get past the 2nd level.

With BZ Flag, I used a mouse, but I wasn't good (I'm still not) but then I bought a gamepad because I usually play on GameCube. So I#m used to devices like that. I think, I improved a bit because I often have positive score now.

So: Play with what you are used to.
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I agree with Skeeve. I play with mouse and when I try to use the keyboard my score is under 0.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Skeeve wrote:I know this back from 1982 or so, when I played "Attack of the mutant Camels" on my C64. You could play it with the keys that corrosponded to the joystick direction. They were located where in the upper left region of the keyboard. I was quite good in it. When I bought a Joystick, I couldn't get past the 2nd level.

With BZ Flag, I used a mouse, but I wasn't good (I'm still not) but then I bought a gamepad because I usually play on GameCube. So I#m used to devices like that. I think, I improved a bit because I often have positive score now.

Play what you are used to, yes, But an elite keyboard player will never be able to beat an elite mouse player.

The advantages in playing with a mouse, far outnumber the limited advantages, if any, a keyboard has.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

The Red Baron wrote:Play what you are used to, yes, But an elite keyboard player will never be able to beat an elite mouse player.
Is this true? I am a mouse player, but I know a lot of the really good players in the game are keyboard players.

I do like the precision I can get when long range sniping, right down to the pixel if I need to.

I feel like at close range, the mouse is better than the keyboard, at very long ranges, it is better... but that at middle ranges, especially in a quick-draw gun fight, that my movements feel sloppy and over-controlled with a mouse.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

The Red Baron wrote:
Skeeve wrote:I know this back from 1982 or so, when I played "Attack of the mutant Camels" on my C64. You could play it with the keys that corrosponded to the joystick direction. They were located where in the upper left region of the keyboard. I was quite good in it. When I bought a Joystick, I couldn't get past the 2nd level.

Play what you are used to, yes, But an elite keyboard player will never be able to beat an elite mouse player.

The advantages in playing with a mouse, far outnumber the limited advantages, if any, a keyboard has.
Hah. I'd LOVE to know why you think this!
What are the advantages and disadvantages to both mouse and keyboard?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007