resources

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

resources

Post by Zelgadis »

i will get a rootDS server.
and i want know, is this enough?

500 Mhz CPU
256 MB RAM
15 GB Webspace
Traffic unlimited

Mhz and Ram can maybe be more.

500 Mhz
256 Ram

is only the minimum.
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Root DS

Post by Army of One »

A lot has to deal with what speed your network is at. I do pretty well with my server its a AMD 1.7 Ghz and about a gig of ram. I have a network that is about 120K upload speed, and about 600K download per/sec. I used to have a 266 MHz server which also did well, I could handle about 10-12 players pretty good with that as a bzflag only server. If you plan on getting involved with web pages and FTP and message board I think that you might be a little short on speed with your server. Bzflag is pretty light on processers, but when you start adding search engines and web gifs and java ect. you don't have enough to handle the information exchange. If this is just for bzflag I think you should be ok, if you plan on doing more than that as well as bzflag your processors speed should at least be in the gigahetz speed-I recoment at least a 2.4 or better GHz processors your ram is ok providing its pc2700 or better, plus don't forget about your FSB speed 400k or better should do just fine. You can get away with only 256 ram but i recommend more-maybe 256 more wouldn't hurt

Hope this helped you out---Army of One
Some times you see me-some times you don't--and DESTRUCTION is only moments away
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

As a general rule, worry more about traffic.
BZ is not really cpu-intensive at all.

I would watch out for people offering "Traffic unlimited" though, because obviously it cannot be unlimited and they will probably cancel your account if you use too much,...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: resources

Post by cosmos »

1st Consul wrote:i will get a rootDS server.
and i want know, is this enough?

500 Mhz CPU
256 MB RAM
15 GB Webspace
Traffic unlimited

Mhz and Ram can maybe be more.

500 Mhz
256 Ram

is only the minimum.
cpu and memory are not particularly important unless your server is 98% utilized by other things and even then it's still doable.

whenever i see "unlimited bandwidth" i have to call B___S___. Likely if you ran a very busy server your provider would pull the plug by the third day. "Unlimited" is really only for grandmas website pulling in 100mb of traffic in a week.

on a slow month i push 65GB and have exceeded 200GB in a month on just hepcat bzflag traffic alone. this puts it out of most hosting plans. :)

good luck.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

"Unmetered traffic" or "unlimited bandwidth" is just marketing hype. It is impossible to deliver unlimited bandwidth because bandwidth costs and they can't possibly buy "unlimited bandwidth." Usually they'll get you in the fine print (like their Terms of Service, usually it's "excessive resources" - whatever they may consider that to be).

As for CPU, memory, and hard drive, don't worry about it. All that stuff that Army of One said really doesn't matter unless you plan on doing more than a BZFlag server. BZFS is very light and has been run on mediocre Pentiums (~233mhz) easily.

But I would stay away from any provider that says "unlimited bandwidth" like the plague.

P.S.: I would suggest running a home server for awhile to see if you actually want to be a server owner (before you dish out some cash). Many people think it's fun, but it's not. Trust me. I run Boxy War and have ran many popular servers and it's a headache and a huge responsibility. People will ask you if they'll host this or that. People will also ask you the silliest questions. And some will ack as if you're God (which isn't all that bad until it's a n00b thinking that ;) ).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com