Random Flag Regeneration?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
BZFLAG_IN_THE_D
Private
Private

Random Flag Regeneration?

Post by BZFLAG_IN_THE_D »

I am new to BZ Flag and I noticed that when you get shot your flag comes back somewhere in the world. How do you make it so it is not the flag you just had? Can I make that flag random? :?:
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

No. There is a finite number of each flag on any particular BZFlag server. Flags are never created or destroyed, just moved.

You've just discovered a good way to get the flag you want ;)

If the flags are mixed around fairly randomly and there are enough flags on the map, it should be fairly hard to find your flag again.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Whenever I see a new flag drop down, I look to see who was last killed and what they had. If it's a GM or something, I drop what I have and take the new one. A very useful way to abuse this fact.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

That trick has been an intergral part oof BZFlag for a very long time, less so nowadays as, at the moment there seems to be a great popularity for fast high-flag FFA - but still very useful.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
loophole
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by loophole »

I try to always watch when someone drops a good flag so I can see where it respawns.

Lately it seems I have been picking up different flags more than usual. Has the flag-respawn behavior changed in recent versions?

I could easily be imagining this....
benplaut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by benplaut »

TD-Linux wrote:No. There is a finite number of each flag on any particular BZFlag server. Flags are never created or destroyed, just moved.
ahh... the first law of flag-o-dynamics :wink:
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

But couldn't the server owner use +s instead of +f? Not many people do, but it prevents this...
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

some people put alot of flagsz, then put a max flags on the feild limit, so when you drop a flag, the next flag "in line" will be spawned
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Eh, theme & me1, could you possibly explain what both of you are saying? It seems similar, but I'm not sure what +s is - I've just used +f

me1 kind of makes sense ... basically, it's like a waiting list for flags, which is pretty cool...
so how do I set that up?