Retro server...a bit of a suggestion.

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Retro server...a bit of a suggestion.

Post by dartman »

Yo, holla to my fellow BZFraggas! w00t, w00t!

I mean, um....hi. :lol-old:

Last week I had an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure it's possible to do. Here's it at: Someone should put up a server called The Retro Server. It would host some of the older maps that you just don't see around often. Maybe map's like the original Pillbox back from 1.10.8., or maybe Mario's isometric (or whatever it was called) map? How about some of Brennen the Great's maps from 2.0.0 that were hosted on A Meteorite's Server (back when it was still called that), such as The Punisher? There are so many options of maps to choose, and I think it would be great to have The Retro Server so we could see them again more often. (Yes, I know that BZFlag is Open-Source and anyone can put these maps up on their servers, but you don't see that happen much.) Maybe it could cycle the maps out every month or two.

TELL WHAT U THINK!
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Send me the maps. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

I've been doing that with my "Maps found in the forum series". I've hosted a couple by ducatiwannabe and am now running Ocean by JPA (a requested map). I'm doing one at a time though - there's no need to further flood the list server with useless/unplayed maps.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I started to setup a series of "Blast From the Past" servers running popular maps from more than a year ago. I didn't get far at first due to other stuff but then I decided it wasn't going to be worth it since we already have more servers than maps.

I could set up a single server now with a 2 hourly rotation and perhaps even a command for players to choose which map will be next...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

CBG that's a brilliant idea - hey you could even load in textures from old game clients. I know the wall.png and boxwall.png are different.

Some of the old maps.... Pie in the sky, Pillbox, Spiralzone... ahhh, nostalgia.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Yeah, I'll go through with it if I can find the time. I start back at college very soon.
I'll also need help with a "/poll nextmap" type command.

If anyone would like to nominate certain old maps, go for it. :)
JUst list any that used to be popular, or should have been but weren't discovered.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Off the top of my head...

"Map for smart and sneaky people"
Pie in the Sky
Spiralzone
Pillbox
Dutchrai's Ratlab
Madcity

[edit:] Oh and HiX how it used to be. And to make it proper retro you'll need to remove all the new flags.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
chickin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chickin »

Please host louman laser mania.
There are a lot of ppl who would like to play there but there is always nobody on the map.

Thx.

Chickin.
:<>
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

chickin wrote:Please host louman laser mania.
There are a lot of ppl who would like to play there but there is always nobody on the map.

Thx.

Chickin.
:<>
LaserMania is definately not Retro. And LaserMania is already hosted (louman.bzflag.bz:2807). Hosting it somewhere else won't make people play there. Personally I am still a little tired of Lasermania, but if you want to play there you can. I have had several players asking me over the last couple of weeks about why no one plays at LaserMania anymore, so I think there are others who are thinking like you. Camp out there until others start to show up. Lasermania is a good map and I have heard lots of people who would like to play there again. Someone just has to invest the time in building up the number of players at first and people will come, you will see.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:Off the top of my head...

"Map for smart and sneaky people"
Pie in the Sky
Spiralzone
Pillbox
Dutchrai's Ratlab
Madcity

[edit:] Oh and HiX how it used to be. And to make it proper retro you'll need to remove all the new flags.
i don't know about pie in the sky or the spiralzone, but: map for smart and sneaky people is around. i have played there a couple of times lately. pillbox (no-jump) is hosted by hepcat and is pretty popular, sometimes reminds you of how it was two years ago. dutchrai's ratlab is hosted by his own server, shellshock. madcity (the original by grape of wrath) is hosted by norang. the last two aren't very popular anymore. on a positive note dutchrai's sand blaster (which imo is similar to, but in every way better than ratlab), atm hosted by galt's world, is attracting people -again- lately, and so does the big mad city, the beautiful 2.* version by the purple panzer.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I'd like to see one of those really old Hepcat map. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it had jumping, rico, and superflags, and it was a red vd. green CTF. If someone can post pics of it, it might help me to remember it.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Babel?
Thats definately still around..
Overlord?
Still around..not as popular anymore
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

maybe you mean hepcat valentino? pillbox map with superflags and jumping?

btw pillbox is allready hosted on hepcat now
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

dartman wrote:I'd like to see one of those really old Hepcat map. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it had jumping, rico, and superflags, and it was a red vd. green CTF. If someone can post pics of it, it might help me to remember it.
it was pillbox. about 3 years ago i originally modified the bases to be tall and enabled jumping, rico, superflags, 10 shots you name it. it was kinda fun but really too insane to have any type of strategy or teamplay. after awhile i modified it to what you see today at borrego.hepcat.org:5154
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

cosmos wrote:
dartman wrote:I'd like to see one of those really old Hepcat map. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it had jumping, rico, and superflags, and it was a red vd. green CTF. If someone can post pics of it, it might help me to remember it.
it was pillbox. about 3 years ago i originally modified the bases to be tall and enabled jumping, rico, superflags, 10 shots you name it. it was kinda fun but really too insane to have any type of strategy or teamplay. after awhile i modified it to what you see today at borrego.hepcat.org:5154
since more than a few have requested it i have put the early hepcat pillbox superflags jumping and rico variation up at borrego.hepcat.org:5155

enjoy!
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Actually cosmos, that's not the one I'm talking about. It wasn't Overlord or Pillbox, either. This was one way back in 1.10.8. That map and Two Castles used to be the only two maps I went on back then.
Last edited by dartman on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Grassroots, or greengrass or something.

hepcat used to host it by itself, then they mixed overlord with it, then they took it off... then they put it back on recently (early this year).

I need to get those.

*edit*
Silvercat used to host it too and the ground was all... steel looking with a cat logo on it...

It had bases in each corner, with kinda these paths behind the bases, and teleporters in each corner...

Someone modded it and added like platforms through the middle and all and a tele in the middle... that was horrible and sad :( IMO
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Babel?
Still hosted..........

Merry Christmas!

dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

BinarySpike wrote:Grassroots, or greengrass or something.

hepcat used to host it by itself, then they mixed overlord with it, then they took it off... then they put it back on recently (early this year).

I need to get those.

*edit*
Silvercat used to host it too and the ground was all... steel looking with a cat logo on it...

It had bases in each corner, with kinda these paths behind the bases, and teleporters in each corner...

Someone modded it and added like platforms through the middle and all and a tele in the middle... that was horrible and sad :( IMO
!!!

That sounds like the one I'm talking about!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It's Babel, hosted by silvercat.

Merry Christmas!

SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

I'd like to see the following maps hosted:

Spirals (original by bzdoug)
Spiralzone (by Wiz)
Razzberry World
Decks (I've seen this hosted on a part time basis, but never seem to find it when I'm looking for it)
Basement (I think it's by Corndog or something similar)
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

RazzberryWorld by Grumbler up now at temporal.game-host.org:4337