Ultra Bright Screen

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Ultra Bright Screen

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Sometimes when I am at certain servers, and I am in observer mode, I try to join the game on a different team. When I do this transition from observer mode to any other team, BZFlag crashes, closes and I am returned to Windows. This wouldn't be a problem worth complaining about if that was the whole story, because something else happens too. When I am returned to Windows, the screen becomes super bright and I didn't do anything to my monitor settings. When I open on BZFlag in Windows, in the split second before BZFlag starts, the screen returns to normal brightness so I am pretty sure that BZFlag is the cause of all this. So far, the only way that I know of to return my screen to normal is to restart the computer. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there any way to fix it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--A Distraction
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I have the exact same problem, on the exact same machine, at the exact same time. I would like to know what is up too. :?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

This happened to me too when I upgraded BZFlag on my Mac. Deleting the config.cfg file fixed it.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

A Meteorite wrote:This happened to me too when I upgraded BZFlag on my Mac. Deleting the config.cfg file fixed it.
I did this but the problem still occurs. It seems that config.cfg has replaced itself. :?

--A Distraction
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

I have had this in the past, it's to do with BZs gamma settings (or do they call it brightness), anyhow, if you can find where to set the monitor gamma in the GFX card settings you can make it normal again.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

A Distraction wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:This happened to me too when I upgraded BZFlag on my Mac. Deleting the config.cfg file fixed it.
I did this but the problem still occurs. It seems that config.cfg has replaced itself. :?

--A Distraction
Ah, I meant about the crashing part. I don't know about the brightness, though (since it doesn't revert back to normal?).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

MacMan92
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MacMan92 »

I know that the brightness settings are in Options>Display Settings. You could try reinstalling BZFlag. Or maybe it's a mod that was put on the server that doesn't work, if it's only on one server. Have you done /report?
Image - LOL :-)

BZFlag-2.0.8
Apple PowerBook G4 15'' 1.67GHz, 80GB internal, 250GB external Lacie D2 Extreme
Mac OS 10.4.8
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the server can't set client brightness.

reinstalling won't do anything, the problem is not with the client app.

the problem is generaly with the video drivers. It is there job to put the gamma back when bzflag exits. Just make sure you have the most current version of your video drivers as well as direct X.
ImageJeffM
chickin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chickin »

I know i quick fix. if u are on windows go to your video driver (usely there is a short-cut for me "ctrl alt F12") anyway go to the driver window and just close it! it should go back to normal. :)

Chickin.
:<>
-------------------(\ /)--------------------
------------------(O.o)-------------------
------------------(> <)-------------------

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Ultra Bright Screen

chickin wrote:I know i quick fix. if u are on windows go to your video driver (usely there is a short-cut for me "ctrl alt F12") anyway go to the driver window and just close it! it should go back to normal. :)

Chickin.
:<>
I don't know how it worked or why it worked but this seems to return the screen to normal each time. It's not a complete fix to the problem but it does treat the symptoms. Thanks, chickin!

By the way, A Meteorite, deleting config.cfg deleted all of my settings (as is expected when deleting a file by that name) and made all words on BZFlag's main menu become a sequence of unintelligible, vertically arranged lines. I don't know if the latter of these effects is to be expected or not. Thanks anyway.

--A Distraction
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Ultra Bright Screen

Post by A Meteorite »

A Distraction wrote:By the way, A Meteoite, deleting config.cfg deleted all of my settings (as is expected when deleting a file by that name) and made all words on BZFlag's main menu become a sequence of unintelligible, vertically arranged lines. I don't know if the latter of these effects is to be expected or not. Thanks anyway.
Either it's related to your video drivers or some weird settings in config.cfg did that (none that I know of, except resolution possibly...) - which I've never seen. If you didn't totally delete it (ie, empty your recycle bin) just replace the new config.cfg with your old one and see if that helps.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Update

Update: It has been a while since this thread has been used, and my problem with BZFlag is just about gone, except for a few rare cases when it still occurs.

But now my attention has shifted to another matter: The problem described in this thread also happens in another full screen game, Starcraft. This time the Ultra Bright Screen happens whenever I start the game, and unlike BZFlag, the Ultra Bright Screen occurs inside the game as well as outside it. I know these are the BZFlag forums and I should try not to discuss other games here, but the problems in these two games seem to be related, and they likely share a common cause. Please, I would appreciate any help.

I have updated all my Video and Graphics card drivers, and I have had the most recent version of Direct X for a while now. I am puzzled because I didn't use to have this problem, although I hadn't played Starcraft for such a long time that I can't tell you when the problem started.

I am running on:

Dell Dimension 3000
Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Intel Integrated Graphics Card ((Intel (R) Extreme Graphics 2): Came with the computer.))

Thanks,

--A Distraction

Update: The problem with Starcraft only occurs if I have used BZFlag and it has experienced the problem described above since I last restarted my computer.