Scoreboard cheaters

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Spaceman Spiff

Scoreboard cheaters

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Has anyone besides me noticed the people that are messing with the scoreboard at http://stats.bzflag.org/score.php?scoretype=high???

It sort of ticks me off because I set a new high score... and the next morning someone had done that. And then they did it THREE more times. Grrrr. So, for the record, I have the LEGAL high score. ;) Anyone want to challenge it? :angel:
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

I pointed this out on #bzflag. Noodleman was in channel, but he must've been away or asleep :(
Looks like whoever those are had invalid characters in their callsigns. Newer version of the server block that. That would suggest they played on an older server that probably lacked the recent anti-cheat measures, like having the server count the score instead of just letting the client tell the server what your score is.
Last edited by bryjen on Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Who in there right mind plays long enough to accumalate 30,000??!!!

that in and of itself is a hack.

I'll challenge you spiff. Wether I win or not....
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I noticed that, bryjen. I also noticed that some of the characters are ALT+keypad commands (like the 1/4). I would've given them the benifit of the doubt, but that 30,000 point score just appeared there out of nowhere (while I was online, I think). The only really good thing about these cheaters is that their scores can't stick. But it is very annoying. When 1.9 is released, perhaps (since it breaks protocol), Noodleman can make stats only grab stats from 1.9 clients??? That would be really good.

It took me around five hours (with probabily an hour break) to get that score on a three shot, jumping, no-flag server. :) It wasn't really tough to do or anything... but it was funnnnnn. :)
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

Actualyl I had some consideration about this, when i created the ladder. At first i wanted to do like sbo does. Monitor all public servers. But then I realized that if i wanted to cheat the ladder, i could just configure my own (perhaps even modified) server join with bots and begin killing.

If you check the lowscore, its seems like alot of the players got "bot" as a part of their name.

This was one of my reasons to add servers manually :)
I don't need huge pictures here.

Post by Guest »

anyway i can remove my call sign from there........eh, ummmm, lowscore that is.............
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

History...history
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

a thought

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

i have an idea on how high scores could suddenly appear. should i post it here?

sm
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with you, [dmp]. But is it possible to make it only pull stats from 1.9 clients (after the protocol break)?? That would definitely fix a LOT of these issues. And yes, Iron Foot runs bots constantly... and sometimes he runs a map with only a small place to spawn and like ten shots.. so all you do is spray bullets and jump, and the robots spawn into your bullets and give you points.

Go ahead, m0nkey. :angel:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Now I have another gripe. Iron Foot has over 2000 points because he set up his server with like 10 bots and killed them over and over (check out the low scores and see all of the bot's he used). I wonder if Noodleman could set up the score list like [dmp] did the ladder.... on an exclusive level.
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Ya,he always has bots on. He isnt really that skilled in a Bzflag game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

No, he isn't. He's almost always in the negatives. Using bots to get a high score is cheap/rude.
learner
General
General

Not too point out the obvious

Post by learner »

One possibility is that he could care less about his score and he's actually testing out source code development with the bots. Maybe he's doing it just for kicks. Maybe not.

Regardless. The scores are really not worth quibbling over. There will always be ways around them and ways to bias the scores towards people who pay significant amounts of attention to them.

It's way too easy to get caught up in scores, creates an air of frustration and negativity for everyone. Cause enough and the scores just may go away completely some day, regardless of reasons or fault, just so people like me don't have to hear about it. Play on, have fun. Good times.

Cheers!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

LoL. I'm not tense, learner.. if that's what you're implying. Sorry if I came accross that way. And no... the bots are just the -solo bots.... they simply sit there and shoot in one direction. If you're going to test bots, do it on a private server where you don't ruin the "high score list fun" for everyone else.
Ash
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ash »

What Iron Foot does best is make crazy servers and maps... I don't much like the guy, but 100 shot can be fun when you are feeling lazy. :D
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by baddmove »

try the MOSH PIT room with the bots (by IronFoot)sometimes..LMAO...what a blast if you stay in the pit!!!!!
Arwen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Arwen »

Seriously, if I played til I had 30,000 points, my brain would be fried! (And it would take me....24 hours....)
The world has really changed, ever since I came.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well... if you played with a ton of geno or GM... you might get it done un 24 hours. Considering the fact that I didn't use any flags (and only three shots)... I'd say my 1,112 in five hours is pretty good. ;)
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Ya,That is impossible for me.
Arwen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Arwen »

totally impossible for me too, spiff about what you said earlier today about me whipping you with ffa.....ya right!!!
:)
The world has really changed, ever since I came.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

*cowers in a corner* Arwen is going to run over me with her tank! Ack! Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!! :cry: Hehehe. :shooter:
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Hey,I'd like to challenge you a FFA game!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FFA... as in, two shot non-jumping? Or like 5 shots with jumping? I'd be more than happy to accept any challenge. :D
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Like on turkey. A match just to see how good I am.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hmm... well, whenever you're ready.. hop on Yahoo Messenger.