Side Strafing

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
a jedi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Side Strafing

Post by a jedi »

I think one of the most lacking things in this is the ability to strafe left and back, so for example you could hide @ a corner and quickly go back to avoid shots
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

This has been discussed many times (See the faq). Personally I really like the gameplay that you get from not being able to strafe. If I wanted strafing I would play quake instaed of bzflag :)
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

strafing would add another level of complexity to BZ, which would take this game away from its simple roots. Simplicity will always be at the heart of this game.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Strafing is against the way a tank moves (i think they kinda wanted to simulate a tank in a virtual world). Tanks in the real world cant strafe (if you didnt already know). Maybe you suggest this great idea to the government! A strafing hover-tank.... :D
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Strafing is against the way a tank moves (i think they kinda wanted to simulate a tank in a virtual world). Tanks in the real world cant strafe (if you didnt already know). Maybe you suggest this great idea to the government! A strafing hover-tank.... :D
Yup, because we all know that jumping is a common capability on real-life tanks. ;)

Strafing is not included for gameplay reasons. There have been several test versions with strafing over the years (the most recent probably having been BZFlag:Zero).
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Strafing would be silly- to get that kind of movement, you might as well make the turret rotate, thus allowing you to move in any direction relative to which way your barrel is pointing.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Although the turret does rotate in the real world................................ :D . Jk. It makes the game too complicated.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:It makes the game way too complicated.
Fixed.