Triggered Sounds?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Triggered Sounds?

Post by LouMan »

How about a mesh property (similar to physics, death, etc.) that will trigger a sound when touched? There would have to be options such as "one shot" (only triggers once when intially touched) or "continuous" (plays as long as player is in contact with object). Probably would also require the ability to load sounds (.wav's I would assume) from remote sites, similar to textures.

Could be a lot of fun for map makers, but would require some fairly extensive coding I think.

I thought this type of thing might be fun to trigger the phantom.wav sound file for my ghosts on Churchyard :wink:
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i was just about to post a similar thing. another great addition would be not only to have it when meshes are touched, but on an event or time. louman - it would be cool for your ghosts ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

in 2.1 cvs, a plugin can tell a client to play a sound, as well as tell it where to download one from.
ImageJeffM
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

Thanks for the quick response Jeff; unfortunately, I cannot find this plugin. I am looking in http://bzflag.cvs.sourceforge.net/bzfla ... g/plugins/ - is this the correct area? All I see there is a plugin for soundTest/ that appears to use a slash command to trigger a local sound.

I have also looked here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... n&offset=0 to no avail.

I am likely looking in the wrong place :wink:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no ,you misundersand, i'm sorry.

I'm just saying that it IS possible for a plugin to trigger a sound, not that we have a full featured sound system plugin. sound test was made to test those api calls, and yes it uses a / command ( they are easy to use for testing ).

I'm just describing the features we have so far in development that could be expanded into what you want ( it will take more work ).
ImageJeffM